myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit zipper repair/spare parts ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Wetsuit zipper repair/spare parts ? Reply with quote

I broke my zipper slider on my suit. It is a camaro 4/3 with the typical plastic zipper. If i can find a replacement i can fix myself. Anypne know where to find these ? Can't find anything locally.
mark

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the large plastic zippers are made by YKK. The last time I needed a slide I bought a YKK zipper assembly at the local Jo-Ann fabric store and used just the slide. They have stores throughout the country.
walkingman

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Seattle Fabrics. They have an extensive selection of zipper parts. You mainly need to figure out what size zipper you have. Measure the width of the zipper at a portion that's closed. If it's 5/16" wide, it's a no. 8. If it's 11/32", it's a no. 10. Check the back of the busted slider, sometimes it'll have an identifying size stamp.

Here's a link to their website zipper page:
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/zippers.html#Vislon%20Plastic%20Sliders

~Steve

hilton08

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProMotion Wetsuits has replacement metal sliders to fit the large YKK zippers. They can sell you one for just a few bucks, or they can install it for around $25. Usually you have to undo the stitching and crimp at the end of the zipper in order to re-start it then re-crimp the end and sew it back down. Still much cheaper than a new zipper (or a new suit).

http://www.wetsuit.com/New_Repairs.html
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks !!
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought i would give an update. I ordered off of amazon. "Fix-A-Zipper Size 10 Metal ZlideOn Zipper Pull Replacements ".... I got the Brass one, as the reviews on the plastic one were not good...zipper breaks easily. THe metal brass one is better. Cost 5 dollars or so...and the best part is that it WORKED !!! . took a few seconds to put on.

So if anyone eles breaks their zipper (wetsuit or anything else)...this is a good quick fix. You just have to get the right size. Wetsuit zippers are usually 10mm or #10.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: