myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for dead onshore please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btbill wrote:
10 ft straight onshore sounds like a real goat rope with basically washing machine and very difficult to get out. Best bet is to find a side shore spot somewhere else along your nearby coastline.

I agree 100%.

In most cases big waves and straight onshore breeze = broken equipment, extreme difficulty getting out, and probably not really that great conditions anyway. More of a "He-Man" sesh than anything else.

As others have said, power is key. I would suggest running a slightly larger board and fin than you would normally use for the given windspeed. There's likely to be a lot of current and you need equipment that will get you up on plane and going upwind as quickly and easily as possible. If you aren't planing, you're drifting downwind and into the beach.

Here's a pick from a few years ago of a typical strong onshore day here (SE). It took several attempts to get out and even so probably not really worth it as conditions were very sloppy.

sm
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even 5' (head high) waves with onshore winds can make for a very difficult gear breaking situation.
Most upwind board, really powered, pointer fin, not blade, and maybe..... just sail on the inside, between the whitewater. There, the water is very flat, slightly aerated, you pinch upwind in the flats, verr to bear off slightly to allow the whitewater to pass, then pinch upwind again in the flats.
OceanBeach SanFrancisco can make for a daunting challenge.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, some basic suggestions will increase your chances of survival and add enjoyment.

First, determine the current. Which way and how fast is it going relative to the shoreline? The more sideshore the current the more it seems important to pinch upwind, but that's a recipe for disaster using anything like wave gear.

Second, rig for power. Floaty board, big sail. I agree that fin power is important but maybe but not as much as the other two. Why? See, Third.

Third, since most onshore is actually somewhat side shore, the current tends to go with the wind in non-tidal conditions. Rather than trying to stay upwind on the way out, hit the gas and sail freely downwind. Your speed will be higher and you can pick your spots to pass over the waves more easily. The more powerful board and sail will make planing easier and any jumps you select will be higher and with more power. So you can use a smaller fin. Sail upwind far outside the breakers. There's no hurry, even if you must feather a smaller fin. It's short boarding after all, and you'll get to your lineup eventually.

Fourth, the break probably won't offer consistent take-off points in onshore. For me, I try to get on a wave or swell early and make make a DTL turn early. The absolute key is power and keeping your clew high as you approach a top turn. Do not over sheet as it will kill your speed and you'll either bog down and have to jibe out or take a boom to the face in the worst case.

Fifth, avoid the temptation to chase reforming waves. They tend to bring you too deep inshore, position you closer to shore pound and make your jibe out less powerful and slower.

Sixth, what everyone else said.

outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So?
How did it go?

adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you guys the common sense took over and I went with my buddies to Michigan side where it was side shore. The waves were big and it looked like it was blowing hard but I felt underpowered all the time with a 5.8. The 93 lt is a bich when slogging and although I was able to get thru the break I always ended up too far downwind . It wasn't the perfect session , but the nice sunny day and the beautiful beach made the trip worth it . Thank you for all the tips.
FreakDrew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on going north a bit. I really wanted to get over to St. Joe but work made that impossible.

Lake Michigan can be a frustrating place. Crazy short-period waves and gusty wind make it tough, but there's always those days when everything comes together (sun, wind and waves) and you forget about the crappy times Smile

If you can, always sail on the lee side of a breakwater (NOT the windward side; it's a washing machine). The one at St Joe is really long and works very good in N and NNE wind. The waves wrap around the pier and jack up on the sandbars.

Where in Indiana did you want to sail? It's probably the place to go on those honkin' westerlies Smile

Drew
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boardseekermag.com/features/wave-tips-how-to-get-out-and-on-with-adam-lewis/?utm_campaign=newsletter_20130614&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_boardseeker

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakDrew wrote:
Good call on going north a bit. I really wanted to get over to St. Joe but work made that impossible.

Lake Michigan can be a frustrating place. Crazy short-period waves and gusty wind make it tough, but there's always those days when everything comes together (sun, wind and waves) and you forget about the crappy times Smile

If you can, always sail on the lee side of a breakwater (NOT the windward side; it's a washing machine). The one at St Joe is really long and works very good in N and NNE wind. The waves wrap around the pier and jack up on the sandbars.

Where in Indiana did you want to sail? It's probably the place to go on those honkin' westerlies Smile
Drew

Miller beach. We went to Weko beach in MI in the pic. Im the one on the far left /neon sail/ going downtown Sad

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.08 KB
 Viewed:  11924 Time(s)

image.jpg

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to sail as flat out fast as possible when dealing with onshore. speed allows one to run, do a quick pinch at key opportunities. the key is to avoid jumping and stalling. gotta keep the plane alive.

how to set up your kit? big sail, say a 6.8 instead of a 6.0. big board with a free ride orientation for quick acceleration, upwind power and good turning. as an example, in the conditions you stated. a cross 114 with a 6.8 sail and a standard 36 cm free ride fin would work for me. same conditions, side shore to side off, i'd go 6.2 sail and a 105 X-Wave 101 or 111.

in directly onshore conditions the back side ride will allow you to drive upwind better than if you try to grind up with merely the power of the kit alone. this is especially true when there may be a slight side shore favor available. seen guys try to get upwind and plane going out in those conditions ina rather self defeating way. little do they realize that if they would flip around and use the backside swell/outside surf rides, getting upwind is far easier.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sav1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the Great Lakes and have traveled quite a but to wavesail. The difference in the lakes is that there are no sets and no channels unless you are near a pier. Here are some good tips:

1. If you are faced with an onshore launch look for a pier or jetty that gives you some shelter. Ideally you can find one in a location that veers more to a side-on location.

2. Shoot downwind if you are confronted with a breaking wave and no power. It is easier to shoot downwind to avoid a wave than having to work your way out after being blown up and washed in.

3. Keep your front foot light when going over waves when underpowered. This will help you to 'pop' over the wave. Pulling up on the boom and pushing the back foot while bending your legs will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: