myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
The arch strap is needed to keep your toes from sliding forwards inside the booties until you jam your toes.
When you're in the straps, your feet tend to slide waaaay forwards inside the booties because the strap holds the sides of the booties, but the toes are free.

I have two pairs of Superfreaks, split toe and round toe. They both have the arch strap and they're useless. They do not help at keeping my foot sliding into the front. The tough rubber of the Superfreaks hurts my toes and I hate these booties.

The Atans do not have an arch strap and I don't have any issues because of how soft they are. But because they're very soft they're also nowhere near as durable as the Superfreaks. I throw the freaks into the washer after each use and they're still fine. The Atans didin't last 3 months and yet I'm going to buy another pair. Currently I keep gluing them back together for just one more session.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are O'Neil Heat RT round toe, are quite comfy and I can tell right away if the strap in undone. I wonder if the exact model is important or maybe it's more the foot shape. Good luck!
3-phase

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atan boots, I use them since 5 years with pretty good results.
To prolong the life do not wash them in the weashing machine or tumble dry, do not use soap, do not expose them unnecessary to UV, and do not turn them over to dry.

Other than that they are great in fit feel and comfort. To take them off push a bit down push am over the heel and then they come off pretty easy as said do not turn them over.

Any question regarding them call or text me 310-729-1361

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
steve1

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started wearing my Vibram 5 fingers (KMD Sport) for windsurfing and wow! They feel like sailing barefoot - which sadly is impossible where I launch.

This after decades of trying everything else.

Two sessions so far. Last week in 15-20MPH winds on a 105l using a 5.6 and yesterday over powered on a 95l board (forgot to load my 85l) in 30-34MPH winds with a 4.7 and 4.3.

60 minutes of bump and jump with some epic crashes and the KMD's held up fine.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the atan split toe also on my third pair. Mine last about 2 season's.
outhaul

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okespor Gorge and Florida for me. Their kite booties are great too and a bit more durable than the Gorge. The Florida do not have a strap but are great for lower wind sailing and are super easy on/off.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'neill superfreak tropical split toes for me- thin, good wear, no hang ups in footstraps, don't slip off & good traction. I get about 100 rides( 2 seasons) before I wear them out.
erniej

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have narrow feet, and have problems finding good full length under-the-wetsuit booties that don't fill with water. I've been using the 3mm body glove Vapor lace-up. Not perfect, because the top strap is way too long for my skinny legs, and I cut it and re-velcro it shorter. Also, it bulges a little in the forefoot where the laces stop. I also cut off the excess lacing. Best yet, though. I've heard Rip Curl are good for narrow feet. Neil Pryde were so-so.

For summer low boots, many work great, like the Xcel 1mm, Superfreak 2mm, And Rip Curl 1.5mm (which is actually the thinnest of the three). They each have drain holes, so if they fit good on land, they'll stay that way in the water.

I tend to go with split toe, because they entail a tight fit with less foot roll, and they don't hurt my toes, as they do for some with girthier toes.
erniej

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: windsurf boots for narrow feet Reply with quote

I wrote a short article about what I know on this topic (at least for those with narrow feet): https://diasp.org/posts/4b2edff0309a01369875047d7b62795e
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind...whatever you get...

A pair of booties from xyz manufacter one year.....can differ from another year (maybe in a good way or bad)

I had a pair of 1mm booties i got from wetsuitwarhouse. They were actually for supping....call SUPreme. They were awesome.....after i wore them out after a few seasons....i went to order a second pair...same boots. When i got them...they changed the sole...and they were not good...or not as great. So i returned them.

When looking for booties i first look at the bottom sole....you want thin with little to no tread. They wont last as long ...but easier to slide in and out of straps.

Btw...i have my oneil splitoe booties tropical ones....why they put the drain hole on the inside arch?? All it does is let small pebbles into my boot. Which is why instopped wearing them. Pebbles in b/w toes while jamming your foot into straps......ugggggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: