myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Booties: Which Ones Work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
When looking for booties i first look at the bottom sole....you want thin with little to no tread. They wont last as long

Buy a pair of oversize Crocs to protect the booties when on land.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atan split-toe, durable, great feedback, not as warm as full but worth it. Sailed waters near freezing in Wyoming and Colorado with air near freezing too in wetsuit. I get cold really really easily.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The booties that work best are the ones that fit YOUR feet, provide the amount of traction YOU prefer on YOUR deck, enter and exit YOUR straps consistently, and keep YOUR feet tolerable to comfortable in YOUR water temps.

I find them by ordering a variety of booties of several brands, trying them out on the water, and keeping the ones that fit MY feet, provide the amount of traction I prefer on MY deck, enter and exit ... etc.

The only universal rules *I* use are these: split toes only, and no O'Neill Heats (they switched several years ago from an EXCELLENT sole to a downright dangerous sole that's slicker than snot on wet teflon).
techno900

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know who the US distributor of Okespor booties is? Warrantee issue...

I have Kite Lows that have splits in the sole of the heal on both feet.
alap

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny... as for me: oversized Crocs - yes, split toe - never Smile
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Canadian brethren MEC has a set of 3mm (low or high tops) with a strap over the instep that have so far worked beautifully for a dozen sails. Slightly thicker sole than some surf booties but not like a dive boot.
I got them slightly large in the low top version and have used MEC 3mm socks underneath, which kept me toasty in some very cold water without impeding ankle movement.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overlooked a good tip I got here years ago: wrestling shoes. My Nikes and Champions are light, unobtrusive, flexible, durable, inexpensive, sleek, and machine washable and offer much better foot protection than most WSing booties, prevent toejam, go on and off INFINITELY more easily than wet neoprene booties, go in and out of straps better than many WSing booties, far outlast WSing booties, and come in a zillion styles and colors so they don't get lost in your huge tangle of black neoprene. They're generally a bit cheaper than WSing booties, especially if you buy 'em after wrestling season is under way ... hey, that's about NOW! ... for great prices. If you need booties for any reason but warmth, don't overlook wrestling shoes. For warmth, buy them bigger and wear neoprene sox under them.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any improvement, since this thread was started in 2013?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a set of 3mm Solites for a while now. I quite like them down to 50 degree water. Play well with straps and durable over pavement or rocks.
I got the ones without instep straps and I regret that, the new ones are supposed to have improved straps.

Also have a pair of kevlar Atans coming which come highly recommended.

Wrestling shoes are an interesting solution.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Had a set of 3mm Solites for a while now. I quite like them down to 50 degree water. Play well with straps and durable over pavement or rocks.
I got the ones without instep straps and I regret that, the new ones are supposed to have improved straps.

Also have a pair of kevlar Atans coming which come highly recommended.

Wrestling shoes are an interesting solution.

just started using the solite 6mm (my oneil mutant 6/5/4 discontinued). the solite 6mm with the strap is awesome...the 6mm comes with a splittoe sock. i thought the sockes would be uncomforatble getting all bunched up. But the socks worke great...and they make putting the boots on very easy...they are really dificult to put on with out the socks. very warm...and they feel like i am not wearing the boots. so far these are the best boots that i have tried. however...what fits me...may not fit you.

i did the molding process...(boiling water)...i don't know if it did naything or not...

highly reccomend....works great with the straps too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: