myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Giving up jibing, for now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't listen to any of them, give up the gybe/jybe/jibe thing and just tack,

who wants to have fun anyway? Shocked
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to brag. My learning curve for all kinds of move is slower than most people I know. but when it comes to jibe, well, i can do it in my sleep.
so here are my tips:
- bend your knees
- pull the back end like your life depends on it. going a bit upwind right before you start your jibe will help.
- the push of the sail when pullling the back hand will push your body forward and into the jibe. THIS IS KEY!!!! FORWARD BODY. this is why people can't jibe, they put the weight of their body backward, and slow down too much, then they are forced to rebalanced on the other side.
- when you pull on the back end you kill the power of the sail who becomes light. you can then push it easily and flip it fast to get it on the other sides right away. then you take care of the body placement.
slowly you will learn to flip the sail so that you can do boom to boom.
You will also realized you can flip the sail really early and have plenty of speed and time to replace yourself on the board to keep sailing the other sides and do one of those fast jibes.
to recap:
1-bend your knees a little bit: your body should be on the inside of the turn, with fast speed, you will have the kinetic effect you see from those motorbikes riding inside a bowl.
2- at the same time pull on your back hand. this will place the board firmly on a curve. if you manage to move your upper body only, the board will naturally turn. You should be careful not to alter the course, until step 5.
the board starts turning, the pull from 2 will put pressure on your back foot.
3- when the rig is light flip it. This happens very fast, you should be roughly straight down-wind.
4- switch feet just after having grabbed the boom from the other side.your body should not lean back or the board will slow down. Look at Dunkerbeck lay-down jibes: when he flips the sail his body is way forward! this is a critical stage, don't disturb the board too much.
5- with at least the front foot in the straps start gently recovering the sail. be gentle, the sail can through you over.
Voila, you're a master jiber.

Last edited by VinceSF on Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. Does that mean that if we win a debate, we're a masterdebater? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: