myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
what kind of epoxy should be used to replace a chinook A box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: what kind of epoxy should be used to replace a chinook A box Reply with quote

I'm replacing a fin box in one of my polyester glass board. Does anyone know what Doug Haut used to epoxy it into the board.
Thanks Ted

top haut boards.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  783.32 KB
 Viewed:  6647 Time(s)

top haut boards.JPG

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I know anything specific about Haut boards, but usually builders that use polyurethane foam and polyester resin also bond the mast track and fin boxes, to include inserts, with polyester resin. That's one of the reasons you find additional wood finbox inserts that augment the two standard full length stringers. I own a few Open Oceans, and that's the way Brian Hinde does it. For the polyester resins, I buy Fiberglass Supply material at Channel Islands Surfboards here in Santa Barbara. For you, I'm sure that they have a retailer or distributor in the SF Bay area.
SPQR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haut shop is still operating in Santa Cruz, why not call them. I too have a number of boards (Airwave) glassed by Haut in the '80's and I'm still surfing on a Haut surfboard. I'm sure someone there can tell you.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.boardlady.com seems to be the ultimate go to for board repair reference. i used to repair polyester boards. done quite a few fin boxes back when i was an under grad. putting in extra blocks to reinforce the stringers helps a bunch. you can use either polyester or epoxy when repairing polyester boards. you can only use epoxy on epoxy boards.

a memory aid FWIW: you can epoxy over polyester, but not the opposite. polyester eats cured epoxy, and polystyrene.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: