myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,

With the variety of venues that you have sailed and the traveling that you do from these spots, you might be challenging Lee D soon on number of different places sailed.

W1
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Crissy Aug 14 Reply with quote

Almost perfect 5.0 and 85L conditions at Crissy for my 155 pounds. Stunning blue and sunny day. Wind weaker at the north tower and sort of missing before Point Anita, but nicely strong in the middle where the mysterious swell was even bigger today: tons of very very nice downwind runs made possible by the nice ebb. Very Happy Still going strong when I left at 5:30.

Tomorrow hopefully TI!
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz this past weekend Reply with quote

Went to Natural Bridges on Saturday, but the parking lot was full and they were not letting anyone in. Drove up to the place that shall not be named and measured the wind at 7 to 11 knots. Rigged up the Angulo 10'-10" SUP with an Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. Went out and had fun.

One other windsurfer came out on a small wave board and being more talented than me, it looked like he was having fun as well. I needed the more float and sail and per my skills, it worked well.

A few surfers were out. Wind came up stronger and when I was done with my session and putting my gear away three more regulars went out on the normal wave gear.

Went to Natural Bridges on Sunday early. Got in, but there was no parking. Went up the coast and checked out the place that shall not be named and it was light there. Went on up to Waddell and measured only 7 to 8 knots. Rigged the SUP and Ezzy and went out anyway. I did have 8 knots way out, but near shore, where the waves were, practically nothing. So it was a bit of a bust. However, the water was beautiful and I still got enjoyment of being out there before the work week starts.

Two kiters with hydrofoils tried to go out, but only crashed their kites in the water. Maybe they made it after I left as it looked like the wind might be coming up a little.

One paraglider out at the hill, but he kept crashing into the hillside. Just not enough wind for anybody. I guess I am glad for what I got out of it.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Stick on Monday Reply with quote

Got kinda hard up after missing a day of sailing (Sunday), went to the Stick as it looked promising early. Wind was tepid at noontime when I got there so I rigged the 8.0 knowing that the wind can kick in at any time at the Stick. Did some triangle runs along HW 101 to Hunters Point to Sierra Pt and back to 101.
Pretty mellow and enjoyable until the wind kicked in at around 1:30 with the 20 to 25 mph gusts in the middle. I held on for dear life and tried to ride it out but clearly, my sail was 3 meters too large. Came in at 2 and chatted with some windsurfers who just drove down from Reno. Made me realize that we're truly blessed to live close to good sailing Smile
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Sherman Island good mornings Reply with quote

Two days of good wind at Sherman Island for the morning ebb tide. Image shows big John's new board and JT lagging behind.

2015-08-19 Sherman Island, big John.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.02 KB
 Viewed:  8107 Time(s)

2015-08-19 Sherman Island, big John.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Stick Aug 20 Reply with quote

Crissy dead in the fog calls for a retreat to Stick. Pretty tricky 6.6 conditions, out with the CA 58 there is enough wind to be powered up and to go almost all the way to Sierra Point. But it is spotty and some good runs are combined with occasional slogging. Only Fred and Marty show up, but are under powered. I call the day at 5 when it looks it is really getting light ... not an auspicious beginning of the end of summer! Shocked
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Marina Bay Reply with quote

Marina Bay/Isabel was swell. Smile
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 2 weeks down here in Malibu have been great. 7 out of 14 days, mostly on smaller gear. Water temp above 70 degrees, wind in the 20's, surf small, and it looks like we'll have a few more days next week. PS, snorkeling and water clarity are amazing. I'd say around 20' visibility, and lots of sea life.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Sunday at Coyote Reply with quote

After wallowing in the mud at Palo Alto the last 5 days, I decided to sail up north at Coyote. Light on the inside (as usual) when I got there around 2 pm, I rigged the 8.0 again knowing that it was already blowing 17 at SFO. Getting used to sailing overpowered these days, but after an hour later it was too much. Went 5.5 and a smaller board for another hour. Coyote is great ,but sadly, often uncrowded Crying or Very sad
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday at Coyote Reply with quote

bert wrote:
After wallowing in the mud at Palo Alto the last 5 days, I decided to sail up north at Coyote. Light on the inside (as usual) when I got there around 2 pm, I rigged the 8.0 again knowing that it was already blowing 17 at SFO. Getting used to sailing overpowered these days, but after an hour later it was too much. Went 5.5 and a smaller board for another hour. Coyote is great ,but sadly, often uncrowded Crying or Very sad

In my experience, and at my svelte 155 pounds, a 8.0 is not a very useful size in places like Stick and Coyote. Most of the times during the season what you have been describing ends up happening: you show up early, start in the breeze and end up grossly overpowered. Or the wind is so light and variable that the 8.0 is still not enough. Unfortunately the Bay area seems to miss the steady light winds (say 8-12 knots) that would make a big sail king.

Crissy (Berkeley?) is actually better for a big sail/big board combo, and lots of people use even bigger sails there (witness the last slalom race last Saturday!! 7.8 were the smallest with plenty 9.2 and 10 in the A fleet). But for just cruising around it is a lot of work for very little gain in respect to a smaller sail. For me 6.6 does it all in "light air": it keeps me going when people are slogging on 5.0 and I can hang on happily when they are powered up. I am considering getting back a 7.3, but mostly to better balance my big slalom that is clearly happier with a bigger sail. And given our variable conditions having a cam sail might be better given the winds variability and the stability of cams at the upper end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 101 of 329

Jump to: