myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Oyster/Stick on Tuesday Reply with quote

At Oyster Point at 1 pm..looked light (10 mph) so I went 8.2 Avanti/JP Superlight anticipating that some more wind would come down from the gap. Instead it got even lighter and slogging with 3 cambered 8.2 is as much fun as getting a root canal. Derigged and headed to the Stick a couple miles up. Wind was on the uptick when I got to the Stick. Rigged 5.5 Avanti/110L RRD and was in planing mode about 50% the time until I quit at 3:30 to beat the commute. I wanted to get a session in before the winds turn shitty the next couple of days. Saturday looks promising after this next front moves on.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: #15 Stik on Wed Reply with quote

I take the "after-Bert-shift" just when the wind starts to come up. Looks strong and I rig 5.8 hoping to take out the CA 52, but by the time I am ready the wind starts to drop again. Grab the Patrik and have a nice 30', then the wind drops, go back, chat and back out when the wind comes back for another 30', Bob joins in ... then it dies, Deven shows up and out with 7.5 but it does not last Shocked

Fun chatting with everybody on the beach but that's is for the week, back to MTB, ... maybe Saturday Very Happy
bert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Saturday at Coyote Reply with quote

Good 2 hr session at Coyote today. 4 windsurfers and 4 kiters on foil. 5.9/90L worked well for me allowing me to plane > 90% of the time. Wind was slightly up and down, but not too bad overall and averaging about 16-17 mph with some gusts. Wind was westerly but not choppy at all, which surprised me. Not any windier out towards the channel markers. Less wind predicted for tomorrow in most spots, then another front moves in on Tuesday Sad
bert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island on Sunday Reply with quote

Lone wolf sailing at TI around 3 pm. Place was deserted save for a couple of fishermen at the tip of the jetty. Wind looked light so I went 6.2/110L which was good at the beginning, but the further I sailed away from TI towards Angel Island, the less wind there was. Did a tack at the bell buoy because I was in slog phase by then, fell and there was barely enough wind to waterstart. Spent the rest of the hour session close to Treasure where the wind was around 16 mph with some small swell action. Came in with speed, did a couple of tacks but I could not make it back to the ramp so I had to swim in. Would be nice to have a ramp 25 yds downwind of the jetty. Traffic was hellish, even on a Sunday afternoon.

TI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  10254 Time(s)

TI.jpg

bert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Oyster on Wednesday Reply with quote

At Oysters this Wednesday at noon. South wind in the low teens at the launch with whitecaps on the outside. I rigged big, 6.6 Hucker downhauled to the max/110L. Easy sailing the first 45 minutes with stronger winds and chop on the outside. Speed sailing in the cove with full speed jibes at the far end was fun. By 1:30 the wind intensified and it was easily 4.7 on the outside..regretted not rigging smaller, but Oysters is tricky. I've rigged too small at this sailing spot in the past and had problems making it back in.

Oyster (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  947.14 KB
 Viewed:  10093 Time(s)

Oyster (2).jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

I have been enjoying your posts. You sail everywhere and have the gear to handle all conditions. You are not afraid to explore and take a few risks. The walk of shame is just another challenge to win if you find yourself in that situation. I think you have this retirement gig down pat.

Keep up with the sessions and reporting. Allows me to enjoy a session vicariously if I do not make it out myself.

W1
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When there is a strong ebb at Rio or 3rd, it can be a monster in very light air slogging and can push you way up wind, so, is that the walk of hero's, walking down wind? Not fun, that much I know. I always like photographic evidence, I try to photodocument the sessions too.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not think you can claim that as a hero's walk.

By the way, as you approach shore for the walk, does not the ebb ease in velocity and you would make progress sailing downwind even if schlogging?
bert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Third on Thursday Reply with quote

Flood tide, squirrely winds from the west, and cloudy with some rain when I hit the water at 1 pm. Gotta be nuts to sail these conditions. My missus says I'm a crazy old coot. Used the same muscle set up that I used yesterday at Oysters..6.6 Hucker/110L RRD Firemove and I had a blast. Chop was tough on the joints so I spent a lot of time on the outside past the middle where it was somewhat smoother. Sailed for a solid 2 hrs, always planing. Coming in the ramp was occupied by 3-4 fishermen hogging the entry..WTF! Had to sail to kiters beach to get out of the water.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Point was going off yesterday (Thursday April 13). Mid-span and outside The Gate was also pretty special.... big open ocean swells w/ a smooth, fast surface. 4.4/93
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 174 of 329

Jump to: