myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Port of Redwood City/Dumbo on Saturday Reply with quote

Sailed two different spots today ( just like in the younger days). First was at the Port of Redwood City at 1 pm. First time for me there and I remembered SwellRipper's advice on how to get out to the Bay. You need to do a bit of tacking/backwinding to make it out from the inlets to the open bay. Had to do almost 10 tacks to make it out! Was on my 110L/5.5 Volt which worked well with the wind about 15 mph at the inlets and 20 on the outside. Active flood chop once I was out on the Bay with more boat traffic than I'm accustomed to. Quit at 3 pm and headed to Dumbarton Bridge for more. Rigged 5.0 with my favorite board and did another hour at Dumbo where the wind was 18-20 with small but nice ebb tide swells. I'll sleep well tonight Smile
At Dumbarton you need to get your gear over the Jersey barrier, past the chain link fence and launch between the tower and the bridge. East Palo Alto is more gentrified these and safer than in the past Rolling Eyes

Port of Redwood City.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB
 Viewed:  14069 Time(s)

Port of Redwood City.jpg

Dumbo on Saturday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Viewed:  14069 Time(s)

Dumbo on Saturday.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert, what size is your Fanatic FreeWave? I have demos of the new FreeWave STB in 85 & 105 if you want to check them out. Sailed the 85 at 3rd today Very Happy
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Bert, very nice post IMHO. You have the very nice photos. The story with a sense of adventure to it. Some throwback ideas, some recognition of local issues etc. Maybe we can learn from this. KUTGW.
bert

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Fanatic Freewave Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
Bert, what size is your Fanatic FreeWave? I have demos of the new FreeWave STB in 85 & 105 if you want to check them out. Sailed the 85 at 3rd today Very Happy
\

Kevin,
Board is listed at 95L. Like a good looking girl at the beach it attracts attention from other sailors. It's great in chop and swells..turns on a dime, plus for me it's uphaulable. It's my favorite of the 7 boards I use.

The Port of Redwood City is the 10th location I've sailed this season. Still need to do Crissy and Shoreline to complete my sailing circuit on this side of the Bay.

freewave.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  13943 Time(s)

freewave.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Secret Spot Reply with quote

Another kuddo for the FreeWave. I have the 96, 2015 edition TE and it works very well on the bay and surprisingly well in waves too! I use it to get out in super lite wind conditions for mostly slog and ride, which was offered up in shoulder high conditions. Here's a fun little floater from yesterday.

DSC_0080.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.02 KB
 Viewed:  13924 Time(s)

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.97 KB
 Viewed:  13924 Time(s)

DSC_0082.jpg

bert

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Coyote on Sunday Reply with quote

That's a nice shot of you Gerritt. Today I did Coyote on a 5.5 Avanti/100L RRD at 2pm. Lots of sloggers despite the good wind read. Wind readings do not necessarily translate to what you get on the water. I had no problem planing on the inside and out with the 100L Firemove (2017) probably because its wide (68 cm), light (15 lbs), and I'm good Smile ..just kidding.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: #40 Crissy on Sunday Reply with quote

bert wrote:
... Today I did Coyote on a 5.5 Avanti/100L RRD at 2pm. Lots of sloggers despite the good wind read ...

2 pm was too early today! you need to move your clock 2 hours backward: then you'll be on time!!!! Wink

In the city the fog layer finally clears around 3:30 and by 4pm Crissy is blowing 5.0. By 4:30 (when I am out already) it is a powered up 4.3. Choppy as usual and very gusty but with some nice large swell mid-way. Can go all the way to North tower, and is blowing hard when I stop ... to go the movies ... bad timing, I could have sailed until 7 pm, but the movie (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/like_crazy_2017/) looks good! Shocked
bert

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Third on Monday Reply with quote

Third was surprisingly uncrowded this Memorial Day. Only a few windsurfers and about a dozen kiters. Used the 5.5/100L RRD for a couple of hours sailing in the flood with the wind at about 18 mph. Voodoo chop just below the markers with flat water on the outside where I spent most of today's session. The board is new and I was working on smoothing out my jibes on the 68 cm wide board. It goes upwind real good.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice MarinaBay sailing, 5.2 and 85 liters, from 3:30 to past 5, and it was still fine when we got out of the water. Hardly anyone else out, very solid wind but not at Pt Isabelle.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Crissy on Monday Reply with quote

Kind of yesterday's replica at Crissy: the fog clearing starts in Marin and reaches into the Richmond district around 3, by 3:30-4:00 pm Crissy is blowing.

I get out with 4.3/85 and it takes a bit to reach the wind line but then it is powered up sailing. Lot's of people out, especially windsurfers that can easily slog to the wind line. Kiters join in later on when it fills in better. By 5 pm it is blowing with gusto and a nice little swell is forming right in the the middle. I stop at 6, but it is still going strong with the rollers now gently breaking in places. Smile

Last edited by dvCali on Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 185 of 329

Jump to: