myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronadler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Sunday 4- 5PM Reply with quote

Good swells and solid wind 4-5 PM on a 5.6/ 86 liters but 5.0 would have been fine. No "bobbing" for us lucky few in Berkeley today!
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Mitchell's Cove to Santa Cruz Wharf and Back 08-06-2017 Reply with quote

Natural Bridges State Park parking was full so I launched at Mitchell's Cove. Took the Angulo 10' 10" SailSUP and my Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. After heading out from the wind shadowed beach, I found myself overpowered, but decided to make a go of it. Sailed down to off of Its Beach and played on the swell there. Outside it was often over 20 knots so was feeling it. Thought it might be good to rest a bit so sailed past Seal Rock into Santa Cruz Bay. Sailed by Steamer Lane and on into near Cowells. No wind at Cowells as it is shadowed, but this gave my arms and shoulders a rest. Sailed by yachts moored by the Santa Cruz Wharf and then back out to the wind line. Still blowing hard, but having recovered, I found I could handle it all just fine. Sailed back to Its and played on the swell for a good while. Then outside and tacked back up to Mitchell's Cove. 20 knot winds, no dagger board, no foot straps, yet it all works well. Great Session.
[img][/img][img][/img]

Steamer Lane 2017-08-06 02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  13529 Time(s)

Steamer Lane 2017-08-06  02.png

Steamer Lane 2017-08-06 00.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  13529 Time(s)

Steamer Lane 2017-08-06  00.png

windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday Isabel. More blast, less bob.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Did San Luis Res yesterday and Sunday 5/8/2017 Reply with quote

Sunday got there about 1 it was only 10 mph grew to fairly filled
in 6.0 by 3 lasted it a little past 6 .
Yesterday I thought I was going to get skunked.
arrived at about 1:30 glass flat and from the East came up rather
quick at about 2:15 fairly filled in to I am thinking about rigging down
from 6.0 from 3 to 6 .
The crazy thing is I was on a 29 cm salmon fin . No weeds to be seen
I spun out maybe 2 to 3 times each day I would guess from surface debris.
Shorty suit weather.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 08-08-2017 Reply with quote

Five out at various times at Natural Bridges today. 4.7 to 7.0 sizes.

Reports of yesterday here indicated it was praise-worthy. Better than today.

Saw a pod of dolphins crossing the channel
npure2001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: PA rocks Reply with quote

4.7 Monday and Tuesday at PA. Nice ebb.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Natural Bridges 08-10-2017 Reply with quote

Three people out. 4.7 & 5.8 & 7.0 Blowing 20 knots on the outside.

Besides doing speed runs with the SailSUP to see how fast I could make it go, I took one jaunt down to Swift Street by sailing downwind inside the kelp beds and tacking back up to 'Bridges on the outside of the kelp beds.

Got 22.7 mph out of the Angulo today. Have gotten more in the past, but it took more wind and/or more swell.

I know it is not anywhere near a speedster and I could have gotten more out of my Naish, but the SailSUP s very forgiving near shore where the wind is light. And it is fun to push it.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about Larkspur Eddy...wasn't he that greaser dude from Larkspur who drove that piece of shit Firebird? He had a sister...I can't remember her name....
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat. 5.0 and 86 at end of the road Marina Bay.
Sun. same setup, but lighter wind at Marina Bay down the stairs.
Nice to use 5.0's and smaller boards when there's lighter wind at Berkeley.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges 08-13-2017 & the day before Reply with quote

Sailed Natural Bridges yesterday and today. Just myself yesterday. One additional windsurfer today.
Measured 4 to 18 knots at the overlook. Decided to rig the Angulo and Cheetah. Had thoughts of doing a downwinder inside the kelp towards town and a return using the stronger wind on the outside. Did have concerns that the wind was to suddenly die in the later afternoon per predictions of both iWindsurf and KSBW 8. When I launched it was blowing hard. Went with what I had rigged anyway. Overpowered by about half a dozen sail sizes. The iWindsurf graph later showed it to be gusting to 30 at that time.
Hung on and did some speed runs. Tough to keep control. Eventually did see what it was like to go downwind. Headed inside the kelp and had to do it as broad reaches with many jibes as it is a relatively narrow path. Knew it was going to be jibe city and while fun and challenging, I retreated through a windy path through the kelp to the outside before I had gone very far. The other windsurfer came out and the wind started on a downward spiral. He headed in shortly. While he was headed in a rescue was taking place down the beach at the Trailer Park/Longs Marine Laboratory property line. A Fire truck and one other emergency response vehicle with red flashing lights were up top. A Jet Ski with rescue raft attached was near the beach. The gray Harbor Patrol Boat with blue flashing lights was in the channel between the kelp beds.
I sailed in to watch the operation. The rescue swimmer on the rescue raft behind the jet ski driver was in helmet and swim trunks only. No wet suit. I did not know they ever operated that way in this area. It appeared to be that they were trying to get two people off of a beach there and give them a lift over to Natural Bridges Beach. I sailed by the Harbor Patrol Boat and asked if this was practice or the real thing. They responded that it was the real thing. I believe the jet ski made three trips from the one beach to the other. I think the rescue swimmer was just picking up personal items left by the people being rescued on the third trip. At that point the Fire Truck, rescue vehicle and Harbor Patrol left.
Then I caught what little was left of the wind inside and headed in. Wind died and a zephyr came up from the east that I made the last of my way in on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 200 of 329

Jump to: