myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Tigers on Wednesday Reply with quote

I'm in full windsurf mode now that April is here and I've finished the honey-do projects that my wife has me do each year. She had me put new flooring, paint and crown mold 3 bedrooms this off season. I may be a victim of elder abuse by my spouse of 48 years Sad
Today I sailed the Oyster Pt to Tigers express on a 100L RRD slalom/ 5.0 Volt for an hour and half. It's always sketchy wind-wise until you get past the Genentech shadow, but there was good, steady wind (16-19) close to the airport. The water was really flat and I enjoyed sailing fast after 2 days of slow sailing on the foil. Really fun session Smile

Tigers on Wedneday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  11943 Time(s)

Tigers on Wedneday.jpg

Itkouls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been following this thread- looks like lots of sailing in the Bay Area in the winter. What's the water temp like? Will a 4/3 wetsuit be sufficient?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 4/3 wetsuit is sufficient for most people.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itkouls wrote:
Been following this thread- looks like lots of sailing in the Bay Area in the winter. What's the water temp like? Will a 4/3 wetsuit be sufficient?

I use 4/3 with a thin 8oz thermal layer Dec to March, starting April 4/3 is enough.
Itkouls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks. How about the Delta, any good in the winter?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tigers on Wednesday Reply with quote

bert wrote:

The water was really flat and I enjoyed sailing fast after 2 days of slow sailing on the foil. Really fun session Smile

Hi, Bert, if you check the Web (tons of info here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windsurfing33.com%2Fforum%2F&edit-text= ) you see foils going regularly around 25 knots, and some of the nutcases breaking above 30. At Crissy the new generation foils go pretty fast. You still pass them when powered up on a slalom but it is not day and night.

I see you struggle to get up on the foil and then your speed is indeed not something to talk about, it looks like under 20 ... maybe its your sail size: try to rig more than 5.0!

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, narrower hi aspect foils on slalom boards with big slalom sails are closing the gap for sure. Those guys have at least 3 different sized front wings and longer fuselages for stability at the slalom board speeds. But why foil then?
One benefit of foiling is the much smoother ride.
bert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: slow foiling Reply with quote

Guys and gals, for me there is no better feeling than foiling with a small sail in light winds. I may not be going fast but I'm sailing relaxed and happy and that's good enough for me. I'm old now so I'm content to be in the slow lane these days.

Last edited by bert on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That smoother ride thing is intriguing to me, as I have ankle issues of late.
The speed thing is less important, having done that for 25+ years and now always rigging the smallest sails and using old freeride boards more often than not. My latest fav the 2000 F2 265 Freestyle.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: slow foiling Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Guys and gals, for me there is no better feeling than foiling with a small sail in light winds. I may not be going fast but I'm sailing relaxed and happy and that's good enough for me. I'm old now so I'm content to be in the slow lane these days.

More than speed I think you'd struggle less with a slightly bigger sail: less pumping!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 217 of 329

Jump to: