myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took a quick trip to SoCal and foiled three days at Cabrillo all on the Slingshot Wizard 125, Infinity 76 wing, and S2Maui Catalyst 5.2 (3-batten wave):

Thursday: super light wind. i was the only one to go out, and as I was slogging out I was thinking that I had zero chance of getting up. I slogged out past the point to see if there was some venturi action headed my way, but sadly no. However there was a small groundswell in the water, so when I turned around, I was able to pump on with the help of the swell energy, and it was pure glide. Like sailing downhill. It was really surreal to be flying like that in such little wind. I was laughing out loud in amazement. I repeated this slog out and foil back in pattern a few times, and then the wind picked up a bit on the inside and I was now able to get up both ways. I really had a good time. The air was ~70 degrees, and the views of Catalina on the way out and snow-capped mountains behind the harbor on the way in were just incredible.

Friday: First one out on the water. Was a tad lighter than the day before and was able to pump onto the foil both tacks, but there was less energy in the water and more kelp getting in the way. A solid row that made me move my path further downwind. Came in for a break, and then Rico Suave went out on his 8.4. He was struggling for the most part, but I went out to join him after awhile along with Pix on his 8.4 also. The wind started kicking in, and it was really easy conditions for my setup (aside from the kelp). Later in the day, the wind picked up even more, and now I was sometimes getting a little out of control. Did a long 3 hour sash and managed to dial in my jibes and even learn to duck jibe. w00t! been hoping to try that, and it wasn't nearly as awkward as I thought it might be. By the end of my sesh, I'm tired and just bowing up all over the place, so decide to call it a day.

Saturday: got there late, but this was the windiest day. Started out a little OPd but was content to do short runs and practice my jibes. Repetition really helps! Another fun sesh with other sailors on the water with 5.2s to 8.5s

Anyway, Cabrillo is a great spot. Check it out if you haven't done so already!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Oyster on Thursday Reply with quote

Foiled Oyster today on a 5.0 at 1 pm. Wind was straight from the south at 12 with gusts to 18. Overfoiled in a gust on the 1st run but got it dialed in once I settled in. Been doing more windsurfing than foiling lately and the adjustment is not always immediate. Nice, mellow session with the water cold, yet curiously refreshing..like that old Schweppes commercial Cool
bert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Pain in the back Reply with quote

Foiling has put a strain my back and now I do post session inversion therapy afterwards..

inversion table.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  7001 Time(s)

inversion table.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Stick March 30 Reply with quote

First big day at the Stick, I count five foils and another five,six windsurfers, with wind ranging from 10 to 18 knots or so. Kevin is doing 360s with the foil, Robert is zooming around with the F4/6.3 before having to retreat when the wind hits 18, Dan doing really pretty good and Bart doing his placid thing. Let's not talk about myself Shocked

Only interesting factoid is the sail gap between foil and windsurf. I am out with 4.8 and foil that gives way more than plenty power and when I switch to windsurf I rig the ACX 5.4 (nice sail, Point-7 sent it as a warranty). Eventually, after lots of slogging, I take off but the right call with the slalom board would have been 6.5 ... there you go with the 2 square meters gap btw windfoil and windsurf ... Razz

Last edited by dvCali on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert what size were you windsurfing on yesterday?

Nice day at Stick on Saturday. Arrived with a nearly empty van and not a lot of wind, hence just the foil board in the car. While rigging 4.6 the wind came up a lot and at least 4.2 by the time I was ready to ht the water. Went out anyway, and was pretty OP'd with the sail and was foiling mostly sheeted out. Was good practice and was actually still fun, but I felt like I should have been windsurfing on 4.2/85 instead of foiling on 4.6 with a big wing. Too bad I didn't have my 85 STB in the van!

Windsurfers hit the water a little later from 4.2-5.5. Wind was a little gusty holey for windsurfing but people seemed to be happy nonethelesss

bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kevinkan"]Bert what size were you windsurfing on yesterday?

Kevin,
I was first in the water (as usual) at about 1pm with a 5.0 Volt and my foil. Kept the sail and switched to the RRD board an hour and half later when the wind started to pick up. Good to see you there.

bert
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Stick March 11 Reply with quote

Strongish day at Stick with up and down wind.

I am ok with the 4.8 (hei! I take off at the same time of Ken!) but I soon get overpowered and rig the 4.3. Now it is better and I foil all the way to the other side practicing skimming over the water and leaving it. But just at the end it is getting very windy. Classic north-west Stick gusts that are most fun with my slalom and slightly terrifying with the foil. I tack (hei! I am tacking!!!!!) and head back. Lift ... ouch ouch ouch ... this is scary ... why is so windy all of a sudden ... bring the board down and ... keep it down all the way back. Too afraid to take off. I think my 3.7 will soon see some use!

John is also at the beginning stage but he is doing better, maybe thanks to the Slingshot (he calls it "the tricicle") or his higher weight or ... no matter what it is I better go practice otherwise I will be the worst foiler on the beach all season!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm the worse foiler.
6 days in, I still can't sustain long flights and given up on foiling jibes. Best of all, I tinker with settings and never write them down.
I like motocross, hate trials.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
No, I'm the worse foiler.
6 days in, I still can't sustain long flights and given up on foiling jibes. Best of all, I tinker with settings and never write them down.
I like motocross, hate trials.

You should go out on my board/foil. It's super easy, and knowing you, I think you'll be going in a few runs.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of all, g/f stays about 10" off the water for the whole Berkeley reach while I flounder up and down, downwind and upwind all over the place.
Even better, we skied the other day and I was snowplowing the bunny blue squares.
In 1975, I warmed up at Siberia and spent most days above Siberia and Granite Chief.
1975 was a long time ago, when I was 25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 249 of 329

Jump to: