myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
No, I'm the worse foiler.

That makes me feel better!!! Shocked We'll master it (sort of) ... just needs some time (hopefully ... there are plenty things I never mastered in my life ...). But fortunately foiling season is over: today is strong westerly and robust westerly forecast for a week Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with foiling is that it still appears to need winds of 7-14, when we can both plane on our Isonic 111's in 10-17 on 7.3.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
The trouble with foiling is that it still appears to need winds of 7-14, when we can both plane on our Isonic 111's in 10-17 on 7.3.

I was thinking longingly at my Isonic while alternating between slogging and out-of-control.

Sub-6 knots is going to be tough with a windfoil but I think that their low wind advantage is sizable. The two meters gap is real and it might be getting even larger with new foils on the market ... and better pilots. I have seen Kevin (at 195 pounds) take off in VERY light air with a 4.4. And Dimitry (probably 150) blew me away at Coyote some time ago taking off with a 3.0 in a northerly wind at Coyote when my 6.5 was not enough to escape the on-shorish north west wind and reach the outside: some upwind performance!

We'll see ... and it looks like fun when watching people better than me Shocked Shocked Shocked
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be careful there, and consider the board too.
Our Isonics are 68.5 wide with a 49cm tail.
My Naish is 73 wide, 50 tail, add a 70cm mast/fin, AND a lifting foil.
Except for this past month, how often do we get 8-15 mph breezes? Not even Berkeley. OK, I'll concede Alameda.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Gotta be careful there, and consider the board too.
Our Isonics are 68.5 wide with a 49cm tail.
My Naish is 73 wide, 50 tail, add a 70cm mast/fin, AND a lifting foil.
Except for this past month, how often do we get 8-15 mph breezes? Not even Berkeley. OK, I'll concede Alameda.

we got quite a few of those North wind days at Crissy this winter. averaging 10-12 on the meter. sometimes a little more. even some westerlies in that range too like yesterday

of course today was blasting 30 at 3rd. 4.2/85... wanted to try my new sail (S2 Catalyst 3-batten) in something other than foiling conditions. was OPd. should have been on 3.7 easy. foiling can screw w/ your regular windsurfing. rigged my sail too full... boom too high, harness lines too forward... not used to leaning back against the sail and driving through the fin. felt good to jump and feel the power in the sail even if it was too much at times.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like...break out the FOILS again..
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Foil winds and windsurfing! Reply with quote

dllee wrote:

There are the shoulder months: February, March, October and November, and "winter" that can be better than the one just ended (the wet one). Plus the days that have a 6-10 forecast, like next Saturday.

And I think I will end up enjoying the foil more than my "big" Isonic 111. It has always felt bulky and slowish (max speed on it 28-29 knots). It needs to be overpowered by a big sail, a 8.0 or so, and that is something I cannot do at my weight in our varying winds ... It is on the chopping block, I am not sure I will even put it on the Van this year. Small slalom is different. I do love a small (52-28 wide) overpowered slalom board! Very Happy

BTW: two windsurfing days! Crissy (spotty, northerly) and Coyote today (spotty, very westerly, 4.8+80L not enough, 5.4 + slalom ok but I should have rigged 6.5).

Last edited by dvCali on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.1 and Naish foil today..I gotta be the slowest foiler in the world.
Wind comes up to 18 in the gusts, switch to Isonic 111 with 44 fin, same 5.1, and by far the fastest for 2 runs of planing as the wind drops to gusts of 15 and I crawl home.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick was super up and down yesterday.... freestylers on 4.2s slogging and then powered up sometimes. 4.2 & foil was pretty good though
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Crissy hits back! Reply with quote

I get there around 2:30 and it looks nice. Rig 4.8, chat, I look around a bit more ... and it does not look so nice any longer. Rig 5.4, grab the RRD 90 and off I go. Slog, plane, slog, plane (each one of those is about 200 yards). Tack (tack!!!!!) and back: plane, slog, plane slog ... I really need a 6.5 here ... and I land at cement blocks. Sad

Than I do the stupid thing: instead of walking back upwind I get back out. I try to go upwind as much as I can but the wind is dropping even more and this time I end up below the Yacht club. Sad Sad

A club support boat takes me back 200 yards, just below the cement blocks. End it is the end of a beautiful day. Sad Sad Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 250 of 329

Jump to: