myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you didn't slow down to check the waves and Dav Beach in front of the firestation.
That used to be our "secret spot" back in the '60's with a long but sectioning point right.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee,
Surf was pretty flat. I was fairly near Davenport Beach, but did not see anything special there yesterday, but that just may be because the surf was flat. It was actually on either side of Davenport Beach that the cliff walls were reflecting such that the moving moguls were created that I mentioned. It does not necessarily need much wave height to create that effect.
A half mile off shore there was up to five foot wave swell, but it was headed down the coast and bypassing the beaches for the most part.
I will get back to a few places that did look interesting for some windsurfing on waves. One of these will be 4 Mile. Another will be north of Waddell where the Ano Nuevo peninsula starts jutting out. The latter area's shape takes out all of the northwest chop and leaves any southwest swell coming in clean.
W1
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ano...
Back in the early 70's, we surfed 2nd point more often than regular Ano until 75, when national park police would call sheriffs to make sure we stayed away. Sheriff called CG on other surfers, confiscated boards, and sheriffs took them to jail.
All with ONE weeks notice.
Not friendly at all, much worse than Tunitas Creek.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: July 31 Stick Reply with quote

Where is everybody? Crissy deep in the fog but Stick is a "solid" 4.1-5.3 and only Vasco shows up! Shocked

I spend the afternoon testing the Hot Sail Maui KS3 4.9 that Jeffrey Henderson sent me to try. Very interesting sail: 3 battens, big low end, incredibly stable, it does not seem possible to overpower it! Very Happy Too early to say but I think I am a bit in love: I stayed out 3 hours in often over powered conditions and I was not even tired!
Gwarn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: July 31 Stick Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Where is everybody?

T.I.

7 31 19 TI F.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  595.88 KB
 Viewed:  8243 Time(s)

7 31 19 TI F.jpg

7 31 19 TI.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  620.15 KB
 Viewed:  8243 Time(s)

7 31 19 TI.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: July 31 Stick Reply with quote

Gwarn wrote:
dvCali wrote:
Where is everybody?

T.I.

lucky bum!
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: 2019-08-02 Laguna Beach Santa Cruz County Reply with quote

Had a piece of coast I needed to sail to make a contiguous coastal coverage from about a mile south of Manresa to Scott Creek. This piece was from Red White & Blue Beach to Panther Beach. I sailed it today by launching at Laguna Beach and sailing south to RW&B and then tacking up to Panther and then returning to Laguna.
Every section has had its challenges and this was one of the tougher ones. It is a mile from parking to the water. I had to carry my gear, which was big, in two trips leapfrogging the carries, so two miles down and later two miles back.
I thought the wind was going to be in the teens. Maybe should have taken my JP wave board and 4.7, which would have made the carry easier. Wind was blowing twenty plus most of the time with higher gusts. Puffs of fog whisking over my head from the fogbank on the outside jibes. I somehow held it together and completed the trip on my Angulo SailSUP with Ezzy Elite 6.1.
Wind was trying to sweep me off my board and breaking white caps did their best to sweep the board out from under me. No footstraps. But I won.
Track below:
[img][/img]

2019-08-02 Windsurfing Laguna Beach Santa Cruz County RW&B to Panther.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Viewed:  8073 Time(s)

2019-08-02 Windsurfing Laguna Beach Santa Cruz County RW&B to Panther.png

windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction to the above post. It is only 1/2 mile from the parking lot to the water at Laguna Beach. I forgot my GPS was picking up the double walk. So only a mile going to the launch and coming back from the launch combined.
bert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1,

Seems that you are sailing more this year that I.. good for you! Smile
I'm really slowing down now that I'm approaching 70 and I am starting to feel my age. Today was only my 56th session of the year at Coyote Pt. when I was close to a hundred sailings last season by this time. Still..I'm happy, as i've had a good run over these past 35 years. Keep at it, buddy.

bert
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

It is an illusion. I have only had 54 windsurfing sessions so far this year compared to 72 last year. So you are still ahead of me. Except in age. I am already 70. Something I have to take into account when judging how long a trek I can make. I have had some of these treks be over 2-1/2 hours. Today's was only an hour and 20 minutes, but I was fighting overpowered conditions and feel great that I accomplished what I wanted.

Always admired that you often would sail on a trek from one place to another, not just mowing the lawn in front of a launch site;)

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Below is a pic of a sea stack I sailed by today. The black dot with a white center on the previous post's track is near to the rock seen in the right of this pic.

[img][/img]

IMG400.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  8047 Time(s)

IMG400.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 265, 266, 267 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 266 of 329

Jump to: