myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for holding the 5.4 in gusts to 20 and lulls of 5.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Kudos for holding the 5.4 in gusts to 20 and lulls of 5.

It is the Stick Shocked but I think we were quite far from 20 (mph?). Robert (at 220 pounds) was very comfortable with 7.8.

The 5.4 felt good, it is really slick sail, with a lot of front pull and ultra stable on a fin. I could have been on a 4.8 but it was fine. The 5.4 never really got loaded. Regular windsurf I would have been on my 7.3.

The Moses 790 is easy, long reaction times, and it does takes off early. My take off was similar to Robert's despite the 2.5 square meters and 60 liters board gap! On the other end he was doing some absolutely great down winders all the way toward Sierra Point. Completely relaxed. Mine were a bit (lot) less so at half the speed Shocked
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Robert should do Cal Cup. A downwinder from TI to Berkeley, twice a day should be in his alley.
I'm still thinkig of picking up a 600 sq cm front wing for wind over 17. Mph.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 10-17 foiling day Sat starting just past 3. 5.5 was the call, and lasted past 5.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged it the last two days:

Duotone Wing Foil 5m
Fanatic Sky SUP Foil 6'11" Windsurf Edition
Slingshot Infinity 99 with 48cm rear wing, short fuselage, and 91cm mast

Friday at Crissy: light conditions but good first run out to the middle of the bay... crashed my jibe attempt and then had a hard time getting going coming back on starboard. slogged most of the way back, then got a run back out on port heading downwind to adjust for the ebb. Got some shorter runs coming back on starboard. Made it back to where I launched!

Saturday at Stick: 3-5pm. wind was looking really good when I was rigging, but as soon as I put my wetsuit on the high clouds passed over and the wind dropped. Went out anyway, and I could tell the puffs would get me going. I'm regular foot, so it takes a couple extra knots to get me going on starboard. I don't have the pumping efficiency and balance goofy. Wind was light but enough to get going on every tack with sometimes periods of slogging waiting for a gust. By 4:30pm the wind had kicked back in. and had 20 minutes of pretty powered up winging.

Feel like my efficiency got better this session and my gust threshold dropped ~1-2kt.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad my experiment with 60' lines and 9.0 foil kite never got going.
Berkeley is just too light on the inside...2-7 for 400 feet of slow balancing slog.
That kite is too stable for normal length 100' lines.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan: Would the Duotone Wing be of interest on a longboard on flat water?

Different issue: Their website says it is helpful for learning foiling, do you think that is correct (on a foil board)?
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Stick February 17 Reply with quote

"Big" turn out! John, myself, then Robert and Kevin. Nice little breeze that makes every foil go. I am on 5.4, Robert on 7 or 78, Kevin on the Wing thingy, John on his home made new board and Ezzy that is probably somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5. Nice!

I have to leave early at 5:30. Looking at the 3 foil moving smoothly in the sunset light is really something. Can't believe we are all somewhat regularly sailing in January and February!

Bob is also there, but he does no take out his Wind-Sup. I think he is considering foiling? Join in Bob! If I can(not) do it you can(not) do it too!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you got gusts of 20 at Stick.
Berkeley only hit 15 max, but spent a lot of time at 5-9....enough to kill myself pumping barely up on foil and dropping off immediately.
I seem to need gusts of 13, then sustained 11 to barely stay up.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
kevinkan: Would the Duotone Wing be of interest on a longboard on flat water?

Different issue: Their website says it is helpful for learning foiling, do you think that is correct (on a foil board)?

I think with a daggerboard it should be easy to slog around on a longboard with the wing thing in light wind and flat water. Even on the foil board with the foil, i'm able to slog around and go upwind if the current isn't strong (not so here at Crissy Field). For learning to wing foil, I think it's really useful to know how to windsurf or tow foil already. SUP foil would work too. One of the biggest skills to learn for wing foiling, aside from sustaining flight, is learning how to pump the foil so you can get flying. Riding around w/ the wing thing on the longboard will also build wing handling skills. I have also winged around on the beach at low tide on a streetsailor, and that was really good practice as well.

I think to learn both foiling and winging at the same time would be difficult (but not impossible).

I've been windsurf foiling for over a year now and have 6 days foiling on the wing thing. Just hit my first jibe yesterday!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 281 of 329

Jump to: