myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 294, 295, 296  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t even want to see the entrance to the Berkeley Marina at Sea breeze market. It’s beyond mad max. Berkeley has given up enforcing any kind of
“camping”, and I use that term loosely, anywhere in the city. Ashby and Gilman look the same. We have meth powered Covid petri dishes on every on ramp and offramp. Now with Isabel closed, everyone is going to Hs Lordships to launch. Critical mass is on its way.

dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Covid blues Reply with quote

bert wrote:
I went to the Stick at 2 pm today (4/15) to finally do the wing thing and was shocked to see how bad things are..it is like a scene from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome as someone described. ...

I mentioned that a couple of weeks ago after I went there and people were doing donuts to the sides of the RVs ... compounded with COVID-19 it is quite a dystopic reality. U.S. of A. in the 21st century ...
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davide, that deaf "gentleman"who'd occupied our prime launch spot has two huge RVs, a pickup truck and a Prius now. I think he'll never leave. Crying or Very sad
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
Davide, that deaf "gentleman"who'd occupied our prime launch spot has two huge RVs, a pickup truck and a Prius now. I think he'll never leave. Crying or Very sad

I think he can read your lips because we communicated using a writing pad. He is very nice but looks maybe a bit odd ... I was there when he first parked and I thought: ops, here goes the neighborhood!

I don't know what to say about the homeless situation in general. It is very complex with roots that go deep into structural economic disparity that has been building for decades. It is true that the group of people who live in RVs are not the least fortunate ones. But I am not sure that I want to call the police on people who are immensely less fortunate than I am ... so that I can go windsurfing. There is of course the health issue associated with a abusive RV park ...

Anyway, the issue is fairly moot right now, we are not really supposed to be sailing because traveling to the site is obviously not essential (although it feels like it is!). We'll see what happens when the park reopens (July?). Parking situation will improve, and if it does not maybe we could talk with them, or write a flier ...

On other news: there are rumors that Treasure Island is now closed ...
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand a poor family living in one RV, but I fail to understand why you need to have two RV's, a truck and a car. Besides, we've seen RV's parking along the read there for the last couple of years, but everyone seems to avoid parking near our launch area. Perhaps others are more observant.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every homeless story is unique but there are some themes of mental illness, drug abuse, and desire to live independently that thread thru many of them. It is interesting talking to cops in SF. They are basically powerless to do anything. You can't ticket them because they have no money. You can't compel them off the streets because the ACLU has said that violates their civil rights. You can't arrest them because they are back out on the street the next day.

Meanwhile, cops are yelling at windsurfers in Marin to get off the water and putting tickets on cars with SF parking stickers.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Every homeless story is unique but there are some themes of mental illness, drug abuse, and desire to live independently that thread thru many of them. It is interesting talking to cops in SF. They are basically powerless to do anything. You can't ticket them because they have no money. You can't compel them off the streets because the ACLU has said that violates their civil rights. You can't arrest them because they are back out on the street the next day.

Meanwhile, cops are yelling at windsurfers in Marin to get off the water and putting tickets on cars with SF parking stickers.

Well, police action does not really help solving the homeless problem(s) ... so I am not so sure why that is much of interest ...

Anyway, the ACLU cannot actually tell you to do anything. It is the USA Supreme Court that confirmed (Dec 2019) that you cannot compel homeless people off the streets. They did so by refusing to hear a lawsuit brought by the city of Boise, Idaho, against an earlier ninth circuit ruling forbidding municipalities to do so.

From the original ruling (judge Marsha Berzon writing): “As long as there is no option of sleeping indoors, the government cannot criminalize indigent, homeless people for sleeping outdoors, on public property, on the false premise they had a choice in the matter.” The roots of the judgement reside in the eight amendment of the constitution "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted".
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday out at the Delta.

Foiling on a Moses 679 front, 450 rear, Ezzy Taka 3.4 and the Wizard 105

GP022020-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  3208 Time(s)

GP022020-3.jpg

a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greytwhyte wrote:
Don't feel bad DvCali, it has happened to almost all of us that sail TI regularly including on the flood days. You're experience yesterday wasn't the worst. I just spoke to a buddy who launched at TI and like you thought it was windier than it was. He went 82 ltr wave board with a 21cm swept back wave fin. Oopps!! He sailed down to the Toll Plaza and luckily got a ride back with someone who was windsurfing from there with all the kiters.

We should make a list of best/worst walks of shame in Bay Area.

Based on my walk of shame experiences, not bad: Sherman, Coyote, 3rd (although annoyingly noisy floating under the SM bridge)

Quite a bit more unpleasant: TI (although at least I landed on the island), Palo Alto (surprisingly).
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
That picture from Candlestick is upsetting. You should drive down Haight Street or thru the Tenderloin right now to see what happens when the cops retreat and stop enforcing the law. Really sad.

don't tease us with that. we need pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 290, 291, 292 ... 294, 295, 296  Next
Page 291 of 296

Jump to: