myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, where are you guys going windsurfing this week-end ? Looks like strong wind on saturday and weaker on sunday.
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkon,

Welcome to the iWindsurf boards. Your question very broad. Based on the forecasts, there will be wind at most spots. However, the fact I just made that statement reduces the probabilities drastically (knock wood!).

Check the 11:30 forecasts on Saturday and the real time reports as well. Then based on your location and skills, just show up. Most of the popular spots will have fellow wind warriors pulling into the parking lots between 2-3:30 with crazed expressions and hollow eyes running around asking what to rig. Remain calm. Check the tides. Check the reports. Make your own decisions about what to rig. When I'm asked, "What are you rigging?", I find responding, "Small, Medium, or Large," to be more helpful than sail/board size, since what is small for one person might be large for me or vise versa.
Have fun.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Apr 23 Stick 24, 26 Crissy 27-28 Stick Reply with quote

Checked Crissy from a distance. Looked rather dismal so I drove to Stick in yet another strange Spring day. Take Isonic 111 and Twin cam 6.6. I have just time to think "I should have rigged 8.0 or gone biking" that the south westerly comes in with a vengeance. Great sailing with VERY strong gusts (easily 4.7) for about 1h all the way to Sierra Point. Only Deven and I out, another person shows up late and the wind dies. Not bad at all!

Fri 24 at Crissy. Get there early and head out at 2:00 or so with 5.0 and 85. Bit overpowered close to shore but otherwise almost perfectly powered up. Great day in the flood with the outside that is as flat as a swimming pool. Not too many people out, 2-4 windsurfers were out before I arrived, then it is 2 kites and around 6-8 windsurfers. By 4:00 when I go back the wind is dropping and when I leave at 4:30 it is 6.0 conditions, with a poor kite drifting hopelessly at the horizon.

And 26 Crissy, 5.0, and 27 Stick, 4.3, and annoying south-westerly Tuesday 28 at Stick with 5.0 and (mistake!) 4.3.

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
bert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Stick Reply with quote

Sailed the Stick at noontime on a 4.7/90L freewave. Kinda sketchy for a while til the wind began to fill in. Nice wind sheen from launch to 101 and beyond towards Sierra Pt.. Rarely see the entire place so nicely filled in. Water was butt smooth and easily 4.2 when I ended my session 1:30. Was the only one there..
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Bodega, 2015 Apr 25,26 Reply with quote

More-or-less recovered, I sailed for the first time since early November. Quite a few sailors showed up, as did a number of kiters from the other side.

Many people were going out on 5.0 so I followed suit, and ended up with more power in the gusts (30-ish MPH) than I could comfortably handle. Several others remarked that they would have been happier on 4.5.

Somehow I ended up with a perfectly dialed-in and fast reach on port tack, which does not happen very often for me. I am thinking that the more northerly than usual wind direction might have been a factor. (iW sensor has been stuck on due North since mid-March. My direction gauge was a nearby flag.)

Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, but with lower gust speed. I went out on 5.0 again and did not do all that well, but did get one wild and fast ride on starboard tack.

I did not suck all that much worse than I sucked in November, apart from reduced stamina and increased caution against re-injury.
veterduet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: marinabay/Isabel Reply with quote

Every new season, after the winter break, the question pops up..."is it like riding a bicycle?" The answer today was yes indeed as the wind blew nice and steady and the only minus was the almost minus tide.
Arkon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt: Thank you very much for the welcome and your message Smile
I was at Crissy on saturday and Coyote on sunday. Was pretty good !
But Coyote Point is so choppy, I don't really like it with a 85L.

There is looking to be no wind for this week-end Crying or Very sad
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkon, you might want to join us over in the East Bay...Berkeley and Pt Isabel. If the forecast looks good, you can't beat the sailing here. If Isabel is reading 17, its on. (the meter reads low) Berkeley needs at least 20 average to be cooking. You can get beer at the bait store in Berkeley...a major plus.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkon wrote:
gerritt: Thank you very much for the welcome and your message Smile
I was at Crissy on saturday and Coyote on sunday. Was pretty good !
But Coyote Point is so choppy, I don't really like it with a 85L.

There is looking to be no wind for this week-end Crying or Very sad

I think not!
Calling for marine surge late Friday -Sat. Dawn patrol at Sherman Island on Saturday with the EBB...
Arkon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay nice I will try to spend Sunday at Crissy Field so.

windoggie: east bay is far for me, I am from Santa Clara.
Howevere I have heard that Treasure Island is nice also. Might be easier to go there and then to sail between the island and east bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 83 of 329

Jump to: