myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbeall

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing 2nd day
Yesterday 6.0 medium board warm water (63) wind low 20's
Today avg 25 small board 5.5 then later medium board sailed until I couldn't sheet in — at Black Butte Lake. Smile

blackbutte.jpg
 Description:
Used be 25 sailors, now down to 1-2, just me for two days.
 Filesize:  449.34 KB
 Viewed:  14311 Time(s)

blackbutte.jpg

LeeD

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkspur really nice freeride conditions, 5.5 and 109 90% powered for my 150 lbs.
Guys who didn't go upwind suffered.
Just above the kite launch, gusts easy 24.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Crissy May 10 Coyote May 11 Reply with quote

Sort of good Crissy day, choppy, with wind in the middle and not much outside. So much for a forecast of 25-30 ... Got out around 2:40 in a weak 5.0 that progressively builds up to overpowered conditions. Workable enough to soldier on until the wind unavoidably goes down. By 4:00-4:30 5.0 is just right, by 5:00 the wind is dropping significantly and I leave.

Day after at Coyote, out with 3.7 and 75L I am powered up perfectly in the Channel. Closer to shore it is weaker and spotty, and I get a bit nervous about it I go back and rig 4.3 which is pretty good all afternoon. Lots of chop but also some big ramps close to the airport. At around 5:00 the wind drops and changes direction toward the south (I can point left of the airport!) and I decide to go back before I am in for a nice swim.

First day with the Firelight 3.7, great sail!!!!! Perfect complement to 4.3 and 5.0 Very Happy If only we had more wind .... Shocked
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weds 5-13, Rio Access pm, strong ebb, acceptable mid range winds (5.7-ish). Where was everyone? maybe 8 windsurfers, maybe 10 kiters. My wife said maybe they were working-I said a weds in July would have had dozens out. She said well maybe they're all teachers.
Day before, Lahontan east of Reno went off big time. I'm 215 and I had to wait for it to back off to rig my 4.2, would have needed a 3.5. Awesome, sunny, relatively warm and reasonably steady 4.2 sailing all afternoon except when it nuc'd at times.
Season is on.
bprice

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: A.L today Reply with quote

Another damn fine day with solid 4.7, much bigger than expected waves, and only a few of us out. Long period south swell with way overhead sets provided mostly smooth faces Very Happy

I buried the nose twice today pearling in on some big drops, something I don't normally do, providing good entertainment to all who where there!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley pretty much up at 4, gusts maybe 30, and even with the low tide, very choppy and maxed out with 4.7 and 84 L slalom board.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: TI March 15 Reply with quote

Perfect TI day with 4.3 and 85L starting at 2:30. Great swell, little chop ... how can it get better than that? Very Happy

It can get worse: my fin came loose (again?! Shocked ) and I had to retreat to the harbor with the fin hanging out of the box. Not too bad, but I ended up landing quite east by mistake (double ops! am I too absent minded? Embarassed). Long drag to the lunching spot, fixed the fin and spent a great couple of hours with just 3-4 other people.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Bodega Fri. May 15 Reply with quote

Gusty, turbulent / variable direction. I was on 5.0 and having more trouble than usual with chop and gusts. Learning experience mostly. One other sailor out with a good looking session, said he was about 1m overpowered. A couple of kiters were out. As I was packing up, I noted a visual sign that I associate with gust 34. A later look at the graph: showed 33.

Last edited by dsgrntlxmply on Tue May 19, 2015 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: TI March 16 Reply with quote

Great TI late day. Hit the water at 3:45 with underpowered 5.0/85. Winds come up and opened up all the way to Angel Island. At around 6:00 the wind picks up, bigger swell and it is 4.3 conditions. Only half a dozen people out (where is everybody? consulting their apps?). When we stop at around 6:30 it is still blowing strong Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Sun May 17, 2015 1:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
windward1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Monterey Bay off of Aptos, Capitola & Santa Cruz Reply with quote

Windsurfing Session on Saturday, May 16, 2015
I launched at New Brighton Beach, a.k.a. China Beach, just before 2 P.M. The wind when I at first left the house showed Natural Bridges at 16, Waddell Creek Beach less than that, and Pleasure Point at 14. There was a significant south swell running so I had opted to sail in the Monterey Bay rather than up the coast. I just love the shape of the waves on the Santa Cruz south facing wave breaks when there is a south swell running and wanted to go play on some of those waves. Plus it spreads out the surfers giving areas to ride the waves without conflicts with them.
As I drove through Aptos, after rounding the corner by the old BayView Hotel I could see it white-capping out on the bay this far into the bay. That is unusual. I turned around and went back to my home and loaded my Naish Titan freeride board. I had previously loaded the Angulo 10’10” Sailing SUP as that was my “go to” board for the inside the bay windsurfing which means sailing in variable winds with at least a significant part of the session in light wind.
So it was still white-capping at New Brighton relatively close to shore so I rigged the Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah and took the Naish Titan at 135 liters. While it was about 10 knots near shore, it looked to be in the high teens about a half mile out.
I sailed that half mile out and found I could plane in the straps and that was fun. The wind was a bit less than I had observed while rigging, but I was getting 14 knots, my planing threshold on that board and so I went. However, when faced with planing and only barely close reached and schlogging and pointing higher, it is difficult to give up the planing. So I noticed that I was not getting to windward all that well. Not as well as I would have been doing on the Angulo.
But upwind I did go and tacked up to the break called Bombora and played on the wave there. The wind was strong enough to give me the speed to catch the wave and the tide, while headed down, was not at its minimum, so the wave was not doing its head heave and curling. Instead it would get steep and a foamy top, but back off from its heave as it progressed into the deeper water nearer the shore. This allowed me to take the Titan and catch the wave on the shoulder and sail right under the peak, knowing it was not going to throw and play back and forth on the wave as it passed the main break and recovered a bit near shore and regained its steepness. The Titan was better than the Angulo at making tighter turns and getting more speed backside and down the line. I was not usually in the straps as the wind was not that strong at the break, but the board was doing everything I asked of it as I weighted one side or the other or moved fore and aft on the board to be in the position, or gain it, that I wanted on the wave. I would kick around and go back out as it heaved up there and broke. Played on Bombora for a while and had to decide to continue there or head further up the coast.
Decided to head up the coast as the wind appeared to be stronger upwind and I was curious to see what the other breaks had to offer.
Sailed in at a break called “Trees”. There had not been much visible swell action, but just as I was coming in past the kelp beds, a swell came in that had some real potential. It grew to shoulder high and I caught this perfectly shaped wave that seemed to extend forever in both directions. A couple in a kayak looked like they were trying to catch it way down the line from where I was. I was already on it and did not mind sharing, but their kayak was one of those common ones, made more for stability than surfing, and they soon lost the wave. I continued as it rose to head high and was steep enough and perfectly formed that I could weave backside and frontside on it and then continued on down the line, steering subtly around kelp heads when they appeared. Rode this one wave quite a ways down the coast before it steepened up and heaved to break. My kick out over the top did not make it and I wiped out laying my sail down into the top of the foam of the wave. It passed and there was not wave after. The ocean was flat. This single, perfectly formed wave was a loner. Not even part of a set.
Sailed back out into the bay and went out further than a power boat headed west and then a sailboat, about 45 feet, headed east. Stayed on the outside as that was where the wind was stronger and tacked up to just east of the 38th Avenue break. Came in there and caught a nice swell for a ride that took me to just west of The Hook. Tacked up to off of O’Neill’s and came in there and rode a wave to just west of the 38th Avenue, O’Neill’s Break. Played around on Third Peak for a little while. Catching the swell and weaving in and our among the kelp and seaweed. Tide was lower and I was getting fin hits that occasionally did me in, resulting in a wipeout.
My harness had loosened and subsequent attempts to tighten it only helped marginally, so I went in to the beach and fixed it good.
By this time third peak was starting to fill in with surfers. Decided it was too crowded for me and the wind was lightening so I needed to think about getting back. I launched and worked my way out in the lighter wind near shore and tried to tack and fell in. I had fallen in a lot today when trying to tack. Definitely the Titan is not as forgiving as the Angulo. I then saw the O’Neill catamaran going by and thought I would go out and sail by it. But I hit a kelp head and got tangled in it. Took some effort to free myself and as soon as I got going again, I hit another. Cleared that one up and started again and hit another. The wind was light enough that some of the getting back up was via uphauling. I was getting a workout. It is embarrassing, but the O’Neill boat went by without me making it out past the kelp beds.
Then I came back in and rode another one of those beautiful south swell humps traveling north towards the beach. Headed east to go out around the hook an hit a kelp head that I thought I would power right through. No such luck. Down in the brown seaweed entanglement again. And this one acted like a Kraken with eight arms trying to grab me every which way. It took an inordinate amount of time to untangle myself and board and rig and included having to snap a lot of kelp stems. All this in front of the multitude of surfers at The Hook. Embarrassing.
The wind was light and I weaved through the kelp out from the shore a ways as I was not in a position to handle a large set, should it come, while I was in the kelp. I did go in at an opening through the kelp near Privates and caught a nice little wave there that helped my homeward trip. The wind kept lightening now and I would have been better if I had been on the Angulo.
I passed through the Capitola Anchorage going ever slower. Stayed outside the kelp beds for the most part. Saw dolphins and sea otters and harbor seals. Going so slow, the sea birds barely bothered to get out of the way. Balancing on the board became an issue. Would not have been much of an issue on the Angulo. I was falling in and having to clamber back aboard and uphaul. Happened many a time and was a bit embarrassing. I can uphaul pretty well, but it can wear one out, and I am not getting any younger.
I was about ¼ mile off of New Brighton and headed there when the wind died completely. Sat on the board and drifted. Luckily in the right direction. The swell and wavelets were going my way. Eventually a 1 knot east breeze came up and I was able to sail into the beach. I fell a few times trying to uphaul to get there though. Again embarrassing. I looked like a beginner.
Anyway, I was not going to write up this session, but someone in the parking lot asked as I was loading up the van, if I was that guy who would write up my adventures of sailing along this coast in Monterey Bay. I admitted that I was. His name was Russ.
Usually, I come back from these adventures elated. But this time, I had struggled so much with kelp and uphauling that I was somewhat subdued. I did have some great rides on some perfect waves. And on the waves, when there was more wind, the Naish Titan was a bit more fun than the Angulo, but the Angulo handled the traveling up and down the coast in the lighter winds far better than the Titan. So I will just have to see if there is a board that handles both the traveling and the wave riding well. I do not think there are any boards available yet that are Transformers and can morph from one board into another. Would be quite the challenge to invent. The cut-away tails like the Kona and others have is probably the closest thing yet to a true transformer and they are to be given kudos for so doing. I did have a Kona Surf, but I did not find that to be the answer to the sessions dilemma, although I had hoped it would do just that. It did attempt that, but it was still a compromise and did neither of the tasks well, although it could do both somewhat well.
Now I am rambling and this is one long-winded report. Blame Russ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 86 of 329

Jump to: