myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Crissy May 18-22 Reply with quote

Unusual weather week with tons of clouds but no rain. Crissy has been as strange with a late wind around coming in around 4-4:30 and lasting 1 to 1.5 hours at most.

Got a bit in trouble yesterday taking out my "old" Isonic 111. Went all the way to the other side nicely powered, jibe, had to jibe again to avoid the upcoming boat traffic and then I went a bit too far and tricked by the great gliding of the Is-111 I got deep into ... the no wind zone. Right in the middle of the outgoing shipping channel, zero wind ... no fun ... but wait those are two tug boats and a biggy coming straight at me ... lovely. To make the story short I finally made it into the wind line, but that was a real miscalculation, I could have easily been stuck out there.

Anyway, wind has died a bit and I am now slogging with 6.6 until I get close to Point Anita. Turn around and ... the wind comes up. Soon it is a comfortable 5.0 if not 4.3 and I am not having fun with the Isonic. It is eating up the chop nicely but it is way too much a board for my weight and skill and ironically the 6.6 in this conditions is probably too small and struggles a bit to keep the board down. I can still jibe fine, but it is a bit of an out of control ride! Help!

Last edited by dvCali on Sun May 24, 2015 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total
windward1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges -5-23-2015 Reply with quote

Nice day at Natural Bridges. Windsurfers came and went with as many as six out at a time. Sail sizes ranged from 4.2 to 7.0. To each his own....
bert

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Third Reply with quote

Another dismal (crappy) day at Third. Despite only 12 to 13 mph SW winds at the channel with the flood tide, I went out anyway. Wallowed out there til I got 14 and started to plane (7.3 m/ 110L board). Stayed out for an hour or so then came in. Despite the tepid conditions and having to uphaul the 7.3 monster a few times, I figure that its better than not sailing at all Rolling Eyes
mmikeed

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama was up and down but good over all had some fun.

Jalama_052315 copy.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.59 MB
 Viewed:  12997 Time(s)

Jalama_052315 copy.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Crissy May 23 Reply with quote

Another late day at Crissy. The wind is weak when I arrive at 3:30 and I go out again with the Is-111 and 6.6. Half an hour and it comes up nicely, so I switch to my Carbon Art Slalom 58 and have quite a blast. The board, unlike the Isonic, suffers in the chop but is of course much easier to control. It is not particularly fast, I tend to loose ground to the guys out with larger slalom boards and 7.8, but it makes Kites look like they are standing still. Kind of fun to pass them by, in a mean kind of way Twisted Evil

Very neat experience in the last 2 days. I registered for the slalom Series (B fleet!!!) and it is already paying dividends. It has been years since I took a slalom out at Crissy but having to decide what to use in the first race forced me to get out there. And what a pleasant surprise. In the past I was taking out 5.5-6.0 in tough 20+ conditions, way too hard to have fun. Last two days out with 6.6/slalom in 15 maybe 20 was a revelation. Fun, fast, the chop actually feel less than on a B&J ... I suspect it will quickly become my go to combo at Crissy in 10-20!
Arkon

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at Crissy Field: late wind but good at the end.
Today at Third Av: First time for me there, I like the spot but was very disapointed by the wind. Hopefully it will be better tomorow, still don't know where to go though.
bert

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Oyster to Tigers to Sierra Pt. Reply with quote

Good day sailing from Oyster Pt. Rigged 6.2/110L and sailed to Tigers where 5.0 would have been sufficient. Because of the wind direction I was planning on sailing to the Embassy Suites (above Coyote Pt) but was sailing much too close to the airport and was in the restricted zone. Turned around, went downwind, and took off from the birdcage structure (above the airport) to Sierra Pt. and let me tell you, I was hauling ass! and grinning from ear to ear..I've never sailed so fast as I was on the edge powerwise and sailing almost parallel to the small chop. Thought about going to the Stick but there was little wind past Sierra. Tacked back to Tigers as the wind was strongest close to the airport. Today makes up for the miserable couple of sessions at Third this past week.

Another go at it at Oyster on Memorial Day with the same set up. Might have sailed too far downwind (couple of miles) and while I was having fun, I felt that the wind was a bit sporadic and not as strong out there. Headed back and it seemed that I wasn't going upwind too well..momentary doubt setting in, but I relaxed a bit in the water, got back on the board (thank God I had the bigger board) and milked the wind to make it back. Windsurfing is a bit like life itself, it's not always the easy road.
bert

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Embassy to Tigers run Reply with quote

Today at 1 pm I rigged 5.5/110 L at Embassy Suites., the wind was light until the middle of SFO where 4.7 would have worked. As I sailed further out towards the shipping lanes I decided to head to Tigers because the wind was strong with a W/SW cant and an ebb tide..all favorable conditions. Made it to the birdcage and into Tigers on 3 tacks where I was hammered with 4.2 winds. Headed back straight downwind and the ride made me feel like I was riding a bucking Bronco in a rodeo contest, ..I got catapulted like a rag doll. Tightened to outhaul and headed home safely. The toughest part of sailing at Embassy is climbing up the rip rap.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

Good to hear story of a windsurfer doing a little traveling on the water to get to different places to windsurf. I think it adds a whole additional dimension to the sport.

Keep up the traveling and the reporting.

W1
veterduet

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Marina Bay Reply with quote

Nice day. Southerly cant to the wind made for smooth sailing all afternoon with no drop off in sight when I quit around 4:30. 5.7 was more than enough - 5.2 would have probably worked as well. Only one other windsurfer and a few kiters. everyone else must be travelling in search of wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 88 of 329

Jump to: