myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howzit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folsom water temp,, dunno ,,, bathtub warm,, shorts and rashguard max. Air temp hi 80's to 100 usually, Winter is NW winds and definite wetsuit.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stick has not been good this year...since they removed the 49'ers old home. But last three days have been very nice; the combination of warm weather and steady wind can't be beat. Comparatively speaking, today is the best day of the three. I was on my preferred 4.2/90 and the entire cove was filled in from 2 till 6:30PM when I left. About 12 people out. The best day of this year IMO.
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge conditions off TI yesterday. OP'd on a 4.7. & could have shed a meter of sail and still be planing. A big turnout for a weekday (~7 sailers)
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Jul 25 to 30 Reply with quote

Crissy Jul 25: race day in what will turn out to be epic conditions. unfortunately I can only stay until 4, miss the starting line and just cruise around ... and skip all the fun (and exhaustion!)

Stick Jul 26: decide to skip Crissy because of the traffic. I am out trying the demo Hot Sails Maui SpeedFreak 6.5 but the wind does not really cooperates much, enough at the launch, a hole, and a nice (short) run toward Sierra Point. Very spotty ...

Crissy Jul 27: close to perfect 5.0 conditions, a bit underpowered toward shore but perfect at around hte North Tower

Crissy Jul 28: close to perfect 5.0 conditions, a bit underpowered toward shore but perfect at around hte North Tower (does it sound like the 27?)

Crissy Jul 29: close to imperfect 5.0 conditions. Fog is in all the way to Alcatraz, it would be indeed a perfect TI day as Tomg reports! At least the wind gradient is very progressive. Light inside with a 5.0 (but still let you depart on a plane) it increases progressively to eventually become way too much on the north side. Still there is a good half-mile of close to perfect 5.0 conditions, nice little swell mixed with big boats waves. The kite foilers here for the race are struggling a lot, lots of people in the water detached from their boards, with Ram kites not restarting.

Crissy Jul 30: close to disastrous conditions. Foggy, gray, little wind ... stayed home closing a eight day straight run that started the 22nd! Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
The Stick has not been good this year...since they removed the 49'ers old home. But last three days have been very nice; the combination of warm weather and steady wind can't be beat. Comparatively speaking, today is the best day of the three. I was on my preferred 4.2/90 and the entire cove was filled in from 2 till 6:30PM when I left. About 12 people out. The best day of this year IMO.

I went to Stick yesterday too (Wed.). I went late - from 615-730. I was thinking it would be crappy because the sensor was reading pretty low. But it was great out there on water - OPed 4.7 and not too gusty, I didn't think. And howling on land too. But the sensor definitely was saying something else. At 7 PM, when it was totally sailable still, the sensor reading was 9.2 avg (4.6-15.7, 291 deg WNW). I don't think I'm crazy to say it was still good then. Does the sensor read low in these conditions (WNW)? I haven't sailed Candlestick too much before this year, so I don't have a deep understanding of the ins and outs.

In short, are there any recommendations about how I should configure my WindAlert for the Stick (directions and min. speed)? I consider "sailable" to be 5.3, 89L freestyle board, 160 lbs.?

thanks!
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: For the Stick West and North West Reply with quote

West and North West is the good direction south west bad.

If there is a streamer of fog on the satellite map going from
the Golden Gate to Berkeley its generally not good .
I managed to squeeze some 5.7 out of it today but it wasn't
as good as Monday and Tuesday when I was there.
Today it started late and ended early .
You can get the reverse situation where is says its Windy and
its not to.
I think the upper Bay has not been good because Eddy is in town.
See Mikes reports.
I would think removing the Stadium would allow more wind to flow
or would it short circuit the San Bruno gap?
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YippieYo wrote:

In short, are there any recommendations about how I should configure my WindAlert for the Stick (directions and min. speed)? I consider "sailable" to be 5.3, 89L freestyle board, 160 lbs.?

thanks!

I know the sensor is not located anywhere near the Stick. I heard that it may be at the Cow Palace or Brisbane somewhere. Actual wind speed on average is about 5 mph higher than the sensor reading. Like you said, sometimes it looked horrible on the sensor but up to 15 mph more at site. Other time, the sensor looked better than actual, but not often. Generally, foggy Sunset/Richmond and clear Stick means good wind. Like tuna said, WNW and NW are favorable. W wind tends to be gusty and not too many like SW or S wind. There are a lot more W wind days this year than prior years. I blame the 49ers Laughing
chand2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Location of Candlestick Sensor Reply with quote

I found a wind sensor on a pole on Lathrop Avenue in Little Hollywood, a neighborhood west of the Stick and about a 1/4 mile beyond 101 (Not far from Picolo Pete's Deli).
The sensor is high up a pole. Its been there for many years.

Look at attached .jpg. Blue "X" marks the location.

candlestick_Sensor_Location.JPG
 Description:
See BLUE X
 Filesize:  68.51 KB
 Viewed:  13131 Time(s)

candlestick_Sensor_Location.JPG

bert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto, Third,Coyote, the Stick on a 8.0 Reply with quote

Have sailed 8 of the last 10 days on a new 8 meter Sailworks Retro in 4 different spots south of the Stick in winds between 11 to 20 knots. Wanted to get the sail dialed in before adding it to my 10 sail quiver. Sailing a big-ass sail requires practice and technique and it can be almost addictive. Don't need to worry about the tide conditions or if there's enough wind out there. Another unintended benefit is no need to work the weights as I now have well defined orangutan arms Rolling Eyes
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Palo Alto, Third,Coyote, the Stick on a 8.0 Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Wanted to get the sail dialed in before adding it to my 10 sail quiver.

10 sails? that's it? what has the world come to....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 98 of 329

Jump to: