myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges02-08-2018 Reply with quote

Wind was predicted to only be in single digits, but wanting to windsurf so bad I loaded up the van with the Angulo 10' 10" and the Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah. As I turned from Swift Avenue on to West Cliff Drive I saw two whales. One made a big splash and the other was spouting. Did not get a good enough look to identify the type. Figured at least I could go out and cruise around slowly and watch the whales. Measured 5 to 7 knots at the Natural Bridge overlook. Went in to the park and rigged. Wind appeared to be dying. Launched anyways and to my surprise the wind was picking up. Alright! Usually I rig and the wind dies. The reverse was happening today. There is a God.
Not only was I getting wind in the 10 to 15 knot range, which is perfect for the SailSUP setup I was on, but an occasional decent size swell would roll in. I went to the area just west of Sidewalks and played around on that occasional swell. Only one surfer out and he was doing well just below Longs Marine Lab.
Played there a while. Went into a little beach there and tightened my outhaul for the unexpected additional wind. Played some more. Sailed down off of West Cliff Drive and back. Played some more. After about 2-1/2 hours I went in to the beach for good ending the session.
Never did see a whale while I was out.
windsrf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several stalwarts out today at Pt. Isabel. Very gusty and cold, but beat watching paint dry. Out on 5.6/106 from 2:25-3:10. Fortunate to avoid the subsequent drop.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Embassy Saturday/Tigers Sunday Reply with quote

Sailed at Embassy on Saturday 5.8/100L RRD slalom with 15-18 mph winds at SFO and Sunday at Tigers 5.0/95L Fanatic freewave in hellish 15-35 mph up and down shifty winds. Somewhat out of sync windsurfing wise as I've only foiled since June of last year with 85 sessions on the Slingshot. I plan on going back to regular shortboard sailing with an occasionally session on the foil as I do not want to be a one trick pony. Tigers was a really tough sail..no wonder it's rarely sailed these days...
AberWrach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday Feb 10: The weather is finally nice enough to push me over the edge. I decide to out for the first time since I moved in the bay area from Boston last fall. After reading a few posts here over the winter and doing some scouting on google maps, I chose to go the 3rd ave option. Too many reports of broken windows at the sticks, crissy being too far for me and I wanted to try Coyote the next time.

I arrive at the parking lot, officially Baywinds Park, I see a bunch of kites in the air, four other windsurfers were rigging or already going in. They were talking about sail and board size and made me afraid that my 5.5 was gonna be too big for the day. Whatever, I'm here, I rig, put on the wet suite, head out. Getting on the "beach" I realize how silty the sand is. I get in the water, my feet go 10" deep in the sludge. This is not going to be fun. After five or ten minutes pushing my gear in that slushy bay sand, I still can't go. My fin is too long and my board too heavy, it keeps hitting the sand... I get too tired of dealing with the silt and decide to head back.

Great workout but pretty awful session... Now I know I need to get more gear. Do you guys gave any favorite shop in the area ? (we can start a new thread, PM works as well). Any tips on where to launch ?

-Pierre
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sunsetsailboards.com/

This not a physical shop but Kevin has good deals
a wide selection and you can contact him at the website .
He will deliver to you and hangs out at the major sailing
spots in SF and Candlestick.
Which may be a easier spot for you if you can stay upwind.
There is also Boardsports at Coyote point and Helm of Sun Valley
nearby but they are not doing as much with windsurfing as
they used to.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AberWrach wrote:
Saturday Feb 10: The weather is finally nice enough to push me over the edge. I decide to out for the first time since I moved in the bay area from Boston last fall. After reading a few posts here over the winter and doing some scouting on google maps, I chose to go the 3rd ave option. Too many reports of broken windows at the sticks, crissy being too far for me and I wanted to try Coyote the next time.

I arrive at the parking lot, officially Baywinds Park, I see a bunch of kites in the air, four other windsurfers were rigging or already going in. They were talking about sail and board size and made me afraid that my 5.5 was gonna be too big for the day. Whatever, I'm here, I rig, put on the wet suite, head out. Getting on the "beach" I realize how silty the sand is. I get in the water, my feet go 10" deep in the sludge. This is not going to be fun. After five or ten minutes pushing my gear in that slushy bay sand, I still can't go. My fin is too long and my board too heavy, it keeps hitting the sand... I get too tired of dealing with the silt and decide to head back.

Great workout but pretty awful session... Now I know I need to get more gear. Do you guys gave any favorite shop in the area ? (we can start a new thread, PM works as well). Any tips on where to launch ?

-Pierre

Welcome to the Bay Area Pierre!
Boardsports California (website with same name) at Coyote Pt still has lots of windsurf stuff, along with kites. It's a small shop though, maybe that's why C-tuna said otherwise.
3rd Ave site gets really muddy and actually unsafe with long fins when the tide is lower than 2 feet. There are sand and mud bars even way outside.The tide got really low on Saturday afternoon, so I see why you had trouble.
Coyote is better at really low tide because once you are away from shore, the water is deep. You'll still have to walk thru some mud along the shore at low tide though. It is important to stay up wind at Coyote, the wind usually gets really light near the big hill. Otherwise it's a great place to sail.
Candlestick is good to. I've never had a broken window there. Try a windy weekend (during the wind season April-Sept) there will be many more windsurfers there. It's a great place for flat water speed sailing.

Last edited by carl on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
AberWrach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll go there this weekend ^^
carl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend was unusually windy for February. The wind season is usually March-Sept. March is iffy if it's rainy though.
rpaillon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Tomales Bay rocked on Sunday Reply with quote

Four guys on 4.2's, me on a 3.5. What a challenge on the first day of the season. I was good for maybe a total of 45 minutes. I did not need a bigger sail.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather is Wacky . Drought years are usually windier I hate
to say but it might be the positive flip side for the wind chasing
crowd. Last year the season was kind of late and intermittent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 212 of 329

Jump to: