myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailtildark wrote:
Waist high on a midget!

Hmm...how would you know!?!?
sailtildark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuz this midget been surfing a long time and also been out to the island during 30 mph winds - it ain't that big
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then, I must have gotten lucky...multiple times. I've must of have missed you sailing way upwind of brooks...and I have sailed there numerous times. Where are your main sailing sites?
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: 2018-07-21 New Brighton to Privates and Back Reply with quote

No wind predicted for Waddell and not much for Natural Bridges. Plus, Natural Bridges Parking Lot was likely to be filled and entry denied. Pleasure Point looked the best, but being a weekend, parking would be non-existent. So....decided to try New Brighton and take my big gear of the Angulo 10'-10" and the Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. Also packed and Ezzy 4.7 in case the wind was so light that all I could do was practice low wind freestyle.
Measured 8 knots +/- 1 knot at the parking lot overlook. Not much wind, but steady. Freestyle practice would be an option, but there were still shark watching boats about and I fall a lot when practicing...and there was a decent south swell happening. So...went with the 7.0.
Launched and sailed out keeping an eye out for sharks. Saw one power boat inexplicably stop for a bit. Inexplicable except that they wanted to look at something. Did look like for a bit everyone was standing on one side of the boat. A dead giveaway. After they continued on, I sailed by near where they were, but spotted nothing. Still have not seen a Great White in the wild. Maybe just as well...
Sailed up the coast toward Capitola. Caught one wave even before arriving off of Esperanza Gulch. Caught another very decent head high one at Bombora. Tried to find more there, but they had all but disappeared. Sailed past the Capitola break and on through the boat anchorage. About a dozen boats moored there. One sailboat was from Massachusetts.
Sailed on to off of Bird Beach and caught a nice wave there. Only one surfer near that break, a paddle-boarder.
Sailed up to Privates. Perfectly formed waves coming in from the south swell. Wind was southwest and although not as steady as earlier, it was not blocked by the cliffs. Line up a gust with an incoming wave and a pump or two or three and it was good long board wave riding. A few sets had head high waves, but most varied from thigh high to chest high. I thought about sailing up and checking out Pleasure Point, but knew it would be crowded and where I was, I was able to windsurf pretty much to myself with only two other surfers anywhere even close.
After a while the wind seemed to lighten. Decided to leisurely head back and catch waves along the way where I could. Got a nice one at Toes Over and wiped out for the first time, near shore. Finally actually got wet. Could have gone in my board shorts like I had done the other day at Pleasure Point.
Nothing going on at Bombora. Guess the tide filling in was limiting that break except on the very biggest sets. Sailed on back to New Brighton Beach. Three hours and sixteen miles of cruising and riding waves. Fun. Could have used more wind, but I am not complaining.

[img][/img]

2018_07_21 WS New Brighton to Privates & Back.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  825.62 KB
 Viewed:  18741 Time(s)

2018_07_21 WS New Brighton to Privates & Back.png

bert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: 4 days at Coyote Reply with quote

Did 4 straight days at Coyote (Sunday to Wednesday) on the ASF foil with a 4.2 Hucker and 135 JP foil board primarily working on the foil jibe. Launched just past noon with the wind at about 12 on the inside and 20 by the airport corridor. Mastering the foil jibe is elusive and challenges my inner drive..keeps me motivated.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like learning to WS, the planing/foil jibe is harder to learn than a front or backloop.
bert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiled at Palo Alto today (Thursday) and hit something not once, but twice during my session WTF!..and it was during high tide (+6). The only spots where I've not hit something with the foil this year have been at Coyote, Crissy, and TI.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Foiled at Palo Alto today (Thursday) and hit something not once, but twice during my session WTF!..and it was during high tide (+6). The only spots where I've not hit something with the foil this year have been at Coyote, Crissy, and TI.

I have seen sand sharks several times near the pier. Also I hit something soft out there with just a normal fin and got catapulted. It was too deep to be mud, probably also a shark?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Coyote and more Coyote Reply with quote

Back from camping at Steep Ravine more Coyote on Wed and Thu. Wed VERY powered up 5.0 (especially at the marker) and Thu almost perfect conditions with 4.3. It dies a bit early, drops to 5.8 around 5:15 pm, with the fog getting too close to keep the wind blowing. Now another "windsurf vacation" (that is: no windsurf), this time to Michigan ... Sad
bert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: 3rd Avenue Reply with quote

Last 2 days (Friday and Saturday) on the foil at Third Avenue on a 4.2 Hucker. Really light on the inside (under 10 mph) but in the high teens in the channel at 1 pm. Got tired pumping to get the foil up on the inside but eventually got it flying at the marker. Probably should have rigged bigger but I know that by 2 to 3 the wind would pick up. Getting close to a hundred sailings for the year and the last 20 or so have been strictly on the foil. I'm starting to burn out and need to either get off the foil and do some conventional sailing or something else..like gardening or some home project..(not likely) Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 234 of 329

Jump to: