myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert, let you be reminded that today is still Saturday - not quite Sunday yet. I know, sometimes is hard to keep track of which day of the week once you retired. Fred would have been a 82 year old windsurfer had he not torn his Achilles tendon. I heard that it would be hard for him to be back 100% given his age. Had he been healthy, I'm sure he would join us 15+ windsurfers at the stick this afternoon.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Ass whuppin' at Treasure Reply with quote

Foiled at Treasure this Sunday..or is it Monday?? Rolling Eyes
Headed out at 12:30 with the foil and 4.2 Hucker. For some reason I could not get the foil to fly..kept pumping and pumping..,seems that there was enough wind ( 18-22), but the sucker would not fly. After 3/4 of a mile out I flippped the board over to check the foil and found a bunch of seaweed wrapped around the mast..WTF! Probably picked it up from the launch area. Pulled them off and whoa!! I took off like a bat out of hell, overpowered and overfoiling in the swells and the 23 mph wind close to Blunt. Did a few runs but my JP foilboard get too much windage underneath once its up and riding the ebb swells..it's maybe too big or I should have rigged a half meter smaller. Treasure can kick your ass if you are not used to it.

Treasure on Sunday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  8867 Time(s)

Treasure on Sunday.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pt.Isabelle Sunday....
Only a handful out, me on 85 liters and 5.0 from Isa to Vinc park launch pretty powered.
A few jumps, lotsa speeding, and a few jibes.
Where'd everyone go?
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: TI 7/28 Reply with quote

Treasure Island

I worked the second shift after Bert.

3.8 /105 wizard-76 wing. A little overpowered should have been on a 3.4.

Overall a very nice day.

TI 7 28 19.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  563.76 KB
 Viewed:  8825 Time(s)

TI  7 28 19.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: 4 Mile to Strawberry & Red White & Blue & Back Reply with quote

Well for this Santa Cruz County Coasting Quest all the low hanging fruit has been picked. Now the challenges are increasing. Got about 3 miles of coast covered today by launching at 4 Mile and windsurfing down to Strawberry Beach where I had gotten to from Natural Bridges previously. Then tacked up to what used to be called the Red White & Blue Beach. Then back to 4 Mile.

The hike to and from the beach is a challenge in itself. From where I parked it was a 2/3 of a mile trek which I had to do twice as my gear is too big and cumbersome to take in one carry and I had to leap frog it to the beach (and back later).

Track is below:

[img][/img]

2019-07-28 Windsurfing 4 Mile to Strawberry to Red White & Blue & Back.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  8821 Time(s)

2019-07-28 Windsurfing 4 Mile to Strawberry to Red White & Blue & Back.png

beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Washoe Lake Reply with quote

Still some of us sailors at Washoe. It's full, having days of 5.5 to 6 sailing fairly regularly, couple to a few days a week typically. Lots of kiters and windsurf foils showing up more and more. Yesterday 5 windsurfers and maybe 15 kiters.

20190728_183258_resized.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1014.78 KB
 Viewed:  8747 Time(s)

20190728_183258_resized.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward1, did you try to ride the shorebreak at 4 mile? It's in some wind but does closeout unless you go left.
4 mile is pretty sheltered and surfers lots.
On a bigger day, over 6', 3 mile breaks outside the point, so has wind, but the inside still too sheltered.
Have surfed 3mile half a dozen rimes and 4mile well over 400.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

I did not. Wind was light and the best surf riding was towards the upwind point, and in from that, which was wind shadowed. That is where all of the surfers were. At the downwind point, at the sea stack, waves were hitting hard and throwing spray forty feet in the air. Towards 3 Mile there was waves at the upwind point and surfers riding there. I just went for the coasting.

Amazingly beautiful out there. Sort of awesome desolation. If not right off of a beach, they are hidden, and it looks like the high cliffs go on forever in both directions. Distances seems different. You think something is closer than it is and you find it much further away.

A tremendous amount of sea stacks along this section of coast. Most you cannot see from the highway. You can see them from bike riding or hiking the top of the cliffs or by windsurfing the coast.

W1
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, YOU can ride the wide swing sets at the surfer's point, since you ride a floaty board. Don't expect cooperation from the surfer's though.
Kelp bulbs similar to Pleas and Lane, so ok non planing with wave fins.
The shorebreak left is similar to Gazos, or Scott's left, so no big deal unless it hits 5'. Those shorepounds have lots more power than typical wavesailing breaks..similar to OBSF but with more favorable wind direction.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: 2019-07-30 Davy to Panther & Back Reply with quote

About 3-1/2 miles of coast covered today windsurfing from Davy to Panther and back. Reflections of waves from NW facing cliffs made for some moving moguls which play havoc with pitch, roll and yaw. Better to keep a distance from those. Shark Fin Cove was difficult to pick out at first as I passed as the sea stack blends in with the cliff coastline.
After tacking back up to Davy there was only one windsurfer out. I was expecting more, but the wind was lighter there. Was at first wondering why the crashes were so dynamic. Turned out the windsurfer was on a foil. Overall he was doing pretty well.
I rode a few swells, but the surf was small. Still fun.
Talked with the foiler when he was back on land and then went out for another short session.
First traveling session track below:
[img][/img]

2019-07-30 Windsurfing Davy to Panther & Back.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  8566 Time(s)

2019-07-30 Windsurfing Davy to Panther & Back.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 264, 265, 266 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 265 of 329

Jump to: