myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail plug repair advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allison_cs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Sail plug repair advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm somewhat of a newbie and most of my sails so far have had mastcaps, as opposed to plugs. I recently acquired a North Stiletto 5.2, and while downhauling it for the first time, apparently the plug was in crooked, as it broke in half and went flying (see picture). I'm wondering now whether I should:

1) Just use the main part of the plug even though it's now shorter (making sure it's fully in the mast!)

2) Repair it with some type of glue or epoxy, though I'm not sure how well it would hold together. If so, what type would you recommend?

3) Put a stainless steel screw in the plug for reinforcement to make up for the shorter length, as someone suggested

4) Toss it, try to order a new mastplug and hope it will fit

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new plug.

-Craig
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah get a new plug. They are standard and many stores sell them.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, you could easy follow item 1 and simply use the existing plug, as it still should seat into the mast. However, it would be best to buy a replacement over the long term, and you can keep the existing one as a spare.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
The way I see it, you could easy follow item 1 and simply use the existing plug, as it still should seat into the mast. However, it would be best to buy a replacement over the long term, and you can keep the existing one as a spare.

I agree with Chandler, however I'd bet a dozen of your friends have them in their Neil Pryde bags. I probably have a dozen of those things. Just ask anyone at your beach. You might want to post what beach you sail at so someone local can contact you.
Allison_cs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. At the spots near me, I'm usually the only windsurfer (which was the case the day the plug broke); however if I drive an hour north (Stuart) or an hour south (Key Biscayne) there are plenty of others, so I will ask around next time. I haven't had any luck trying to find one online.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one place (of many) that carry them:

http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_50&products_id=4378
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important issue is why it broke....I bet $100 that the plug wasn't all the way in. If it was 1/2 way in, it would break.

A top failure on the water means you lose all downhaul. not fun.

Always make a rig check before you go. 5 seconds.

!.) finger feel that Top plug is all in.
2.) thumbnail slide along the mast sleeve to check that there is no gap where the two mast halves are joined (Ferrule all the way in)
3.) Mast base tightly on board

If you can't find a pin, PM me and i will mail you one....they are pretty much all standard except for Neil Pryde

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip: If this mast is used only for sails using that exact mast plug, use silicone caulk as glue when installing the new mast plug. No only will it stop leaks of water into the mast but helps prevent the plug from being yanked out even part way.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, it seems that you are talking about the female plug component that inserts in the mast instead of the male plug component that usually stays attached to the sail. But since you brought it up, I should point out that there a slight differences in female plug components that come from different mast manufacturers. Last year I bought a No Limitz mast and discovered that their plug included a slightly smaller hole for receiving the sail's male plug component. I could get it wedged in, but it was a total bear to disassemble. In my spare parts collection, I found another mast cap that properly accepted the sail plug, but it was too loose to properly stay seated in the mast. In the long run, I ultimately worked around the problem by replacing the No Limitz mast plug with one from the top of an older Hansen mast that fit perfectly into the No Limitz mast.

I guess the bottom line is ensuring that all the components fit together as they should. We would like to think that everything is standardized, but that's not always the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: