myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Realwind
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, I thought there was one on the 30th I just assumed that it was the Windance swap. If you are up for trolling the CGWA meet for me I would appreciate it. Let me know and I can figure out how to get you a fist full of cash. Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way would be for me to call you from the swap meet if I find one. We could discuss condition, price, etc. real time, maybe even send a closeup picture if necessary and if I can figure out how. I'm guessing my Droid can send live video feed if I push the right buttons.

I'd suggest PMing me a precise description, preferably with a link to a picture, plus your phone number. If I find something you want to commit to, I'd just buy it, drop it off wherever you like, and expect a check in the mail.

No, I'm not worried about getting stiffed. The last guy who tried that, Stephen Sockol of Framingham, MA, regretted it dearly after his Mom (Lesley) and sailing buddies found out about it in 1996. We can only hope his bride of 2007, Sarah, has pounded some sense and morals into his head.

Capische? Wink

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I looked at your prior posts. Now I know who you are; you were just another ethernym until now.

That's OK; the offer still stands. Laughing
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, If you're still able to prowl the swap for me this Sunday I've PM'ed you the details. Thanks again for your help.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exhibitpro wrote:
Isobars, If you're still able to prowl the swap ...

LOL. I overhead a guy say at the last swap meet say, "That guy's on a mission. Look at that shopping list."

Dang straight. Swap meets are all business. You wanna chat, you'll have to wait 'til the cherries have been picked and my own stuff has been recycled.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed how quick, simple, fortunate, and productive exibitpro's quest was. I drove into the swap meet, parked, looked to my left, and there, just 30-40 feet away, was exactly the board he wanted, in arguably better than new condition (optional pads upgrade), at a good price. Its owner also hoards that board, has too many to store conveniently, and said it can take years to find that model even here on its home turf.

Sometimes you're the dog.
exhibitpro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very happy Exhibitpro will have his go-to board in hand when he shows up in Hood River just in time for the fireworks. All I need now is to make sure that whomever is in charge of the wind flips the switch ON when I get there.
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you specifically want that board?

My 208 Quatro 82-liter beat the tar out of my on a death-chop day at the Hatch a few weeks ago. I made me rethink my all-epoxy board quiver. And would it really be so bad to have a board with a little V in the front. Maybe even (shudder) made out of polyester.

I like that my 109 Freestyle Skate is pretty light for its size, but that last sesh on the Quatro made me miss the Open Oceans I used to ride.

I'm also second guessing the rocker in the Quatro. Seems to have a terrible top speed, drops off a plane faster than a helicopter, and takes a lot of weather to get it planing again. It's great at the coast on real waves, but I'm almost always in need of more liters on the coast, and only get there 3 times a year anyway.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
My 208 Quatro 82-liter beat the tar out of my on a death-chop day at the Hatch a few weeks ago. I made me rethink my all-epoxy board quiver. And would it really be so bad to have a board with a little V in the front. Maybe even (shudder) made out of polyester.

I like that my 109 Freestyle Skate is pretty light for its size, but that last sesh on the Quatro made me miss the Open Oceans I used to ride.

I'm also second guessing the rocker in the Quatro. Seems to have a terrible top speed, drops off a plane faster than a helicopter, and takes a lot of weather to get it planing again. It's great at the coast on real waves, but I'm almost always in need of more liters on the coast, and only get there 3 times a year anyway.

Plenty of epoxy board ride just fine, but the wider any board is, the harsher its ride, everything else being the same. Severe chop exacerbates the difference, and most boards went wider and shorter in about ... Ta Daaaaa ... 2008. One way to smooth out the chop, boost your speed, meet or beat your present planing power, maintain or boost carving prowess, and point just fine is to hit a swap meet or consignment shop, buy a slightly narrower pre-2008 wave board (≤ 55 cm @ 80 liters) or FSW board, with lots of vee aft plus vee or concave forward, and put a bigger sail on it. I do ll those, plus bigger fins to get my butt upwind, and am happy as a clam. My 2005 Quatro Wave 83 is very fast, extremely loose, planes very eagerly, points very high by B&J standards, and rides very well considering the terrain and speed.

Another way is to keep demoing until you find a newer board designed to ride smoothly in big chop. IMO and that of Boards Magazine most of them give up too much turning ability at speed and too much comfort when powered hard in chop, but many people like them.

Yet another way is to slow down (no thank yew).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: