myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Waveboard Owners Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: the K4 fins, I also have a pair of 12 cm Ezzy Assymetric fins that I am using on my Quattro Thruster that replaced the stock 12 cm MFC fins. I also really like them, the board carves a really nice top turn. If anything I think the board is marginally easier to get planing with them, but more likely my imagination than fact. I haven't had much experience slogging with them, but when powered up they go upwind a lot better than the stock fins.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have the PW 75 liter ? I just got one second hand. Haven't taken it out yet. I plan on sailing this with my 4.6 down to 3.8. Was wondering about the fin setup. Stock in 16 center, 10 sides. Was thinking that i may be changing this down the road. But would like to get some "real" world experience of different setups that people have used. I weigh 175.

(I have a 85L fanatic freewave which came stock 19 center 11 sides. I switched to 20 center and 11 sides and it made the board ride much better for me, at least with my 4.6 and 4.2)

GOt to try out the pocketwave 75. Ended up just doing a few runs as the wind went nuclear. Fully powered on a 3.8. I found the fins to be good...but not great. Needed to get the board up to full speed. Otherwise it seemed the fins would just spinout on me. Could of been the mast track too far back (i since moved it forward anout 1cm). When i was moving...the fins seemed to hold pretty good. Need ot tinker with it a few more times. But fun board !!

btw.... i measured my side fins. Mine seem to have toe in....albeit a degree or so. But i can visually see it...and measure.
rexi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reading through this thread to get some tips from people sailing the tabou boards. I have a tabou dc 79 2011, i have mainly been sailing it in side off conditions and love it. The past week i took it out to some side on and onshore conditions, waist to head high. I know that is not the best board for those conditions and i had some trouble getting it up and planing quick enough to be able to get through the watewater fast enough.

So i was wondering do you guys have any tips to get that board a little quicker up and going? i have ordered k4 rockets and looking forward to see what that does to the board but how about mast track and fin positioning do you have any tips on what is the best onshore setup?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both Rockets and Stubbys work well for me.

Shark teeth in 8 or 10cm

On other than Tabou

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rexi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so rockets, stubbys and sharktooth work well for you on other boards then tabou?

what about mast track positioning, any particular setting that you guys recommend?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rexi

I have some time on a Tabou quad, and do not see the bottom shape or any other aspect to be unique that , the K4s will not work and work well, which ones and size will be the ?? for you.

generally speaking , mast base in the middle, establish a base line, then for early planing move FORWARD , about 1cm at a time, be aware that the board is a WAVE board, and while early planing will exist among wave boards, but no so early as a FSW

I think Boards UK forum may have more input for your Tabou..

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Windnc

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Tabou Wave Board Owners Forum Reply with quote

skyking1231 Posted: 08 Nov 2013 13:14 wrote:
"anyone have the PW 75 liter ? I just got one second hand. Haven't taken it out yet. I plan on sailing this with my 4.6 down to 3.8. Was wondering about the fin setup"

Skyking, I own a 2013 Tabou Pocket Wave 93 liter and have sailed it extensively over the last year in both ocean/waves and sound side B&J sailing conditions from 4.5 to 6.2 conditions. I weigh 200 pounds so the 93 is a good fit for me. I love this board for its versatility and strong performance across such a wide range and variety of sailing conditions. I am sure you will find the same experience with your 75 the more you ride it.

As for fins I find that the Pocket Wave peforms much better in non-wavesailing venues with a single fin. I use a 25cm MFC San Carlos Weed Wave with mine and it works great. For wavesailing I switch to the tri-fin mode for more surfing performance out of the board. At my weight I use a 20cm rear fin with the two stock Zinger 11cm fins and am now experimenting with K4 12 and 10cm 2 degree toe-in fins. I may try a 21 cm single fin with the 10's too. However, in more side-on waves the single fin still works very well and offers better upwind capability.

Based on my experiences with the PW93 I would think the PW 75 would also do very well with a single fin in the 21-22cm range for B&J type conditions and then use your tri-fin mode for maximizing its surfing potential when wave riding.

Good winds and waves,

Chuck
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using various fins on a 2012 da curve 74 and a 2012 pocket 80. Here are what I have tried....

Da Curve 74:
Stock tabou fronts 14cm flexi rears (quad)
Ezzy 2 degree 12cm fronts 14cm flexi rear (tri)
Ezzy 2 degree 8cm fronts 14cm stubby rear (quad)

Pocket 80:
20cm black project epic wave (single)
Ezzy 2 degree 12cm fronts 15cm stubby rear (tri)

For the da curve I went through a tri fin phase to try and make the board a little quicker to plane and faster overall to see if I could get a little more range out of the board. That was the case, but when I tried the board again in quad mode I just realized how much more loose and playful it is on the wave. Once on the wave, the quad is also faster. I think Andy mentioned this as well in an earlier reply. The quad is also better at getting upwind which is important in wave sailing. I was however using a relatively small 14cm flexi which didn't help in that category. Overall, I prefer the stubbies over the flexies. They just have a little sharper feel. For me the 8/14 quad setup is perfect for the da curve 74.

For the Pocket, the 12/15 cm tri fin is perfect. I also really like this board with the black project epic wave. This is an incredible fin. I don't sail the pocket all that much since I love the da curve soooo much and am willing to stay on it even when it gets pretty marginal. I have also realized that what I want from my big board is an amazing surf and slogger which is more important to me than full time planning power. At 165lbs this translates to a bigger volume, but narrower outline than the pocket. To be honest, the pocket is just a little too wide for me. As a lightweight, I just don't need all that width. So she's got to go. I do know I'll miss her though, cuz she's perfect for summer at Waddell when its small and light - also incredible for b&j which I'll moss for my odd bay session.

I'm running the track on both the da curve and pocket about 2cm back from center. Straps on the pocket are all the way back. Straps on the da curve are second from back with the jumping side using the outboard angle and the riding side the inboard angle.

Last edited by xander.arch on Thu May 29, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rexi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh.. now get where you are going u2u2u2, sorry didnīt quite understand at first. Thanks for all the input in here.

I have just tried the standard fins so far and they are pretty much in the middle. but now i have a pair of 14s stubbies and then on the way 16.5 rocket rears and 8s in the front. Looking forward to try it out some more.
rexi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my rockets in the mail yesterday along with 5.0 onshore wind and waves. Opening the package i noticed that the front fins were missing!! %$&#/&$%#!

Well anyway, i ordered big back fins 16.5 and tried the board like that, set up as a twin. I must say i was really impressed, i sailed it a bit with that setup and then tried it as well with the original fins. With the rockets it was quicker to get going, was really loose and no problems with too little grip, suited the conditions really well.

So first impressions of the dacurve in twin mode were pretty fantastic Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: