myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
U.S. now an international laughing stock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After advocating for mandatory religious education--something not even Ronald Reagan supported--the Gibester fails to understand the damage done to public education by Reagan. Just a few tidbits of what he did:

Quote:
Once elected, Mr. Reagan set the educational tone for his administration by:
a. calling for an end to free tuition for state college and university students,
b. annually demanding 20% across-the-board cuts in higher education funding,[2]
c. repeatedly slashing construction funds for state campuses
d. engineering the firing of Clark Kerr, the popular President of the University of California, and
e. declaring that the state "should not subsidize intellectual curiosity,[3]"
Governor Reagan not only slashed spending on higher education. Throughout his tenure as governor Mr. Reagan consistently and effectively opposed additional funding for basic education. This led to painful increases in local taxes and the deterioration of California's public schools. Los Angeles voters got so fed up picking up the slack that on five separate occasions they refused to support any further increases in local school taxes. The consequent under-funding resulted in overcrowded classrooms, ancient worn-out textbooks, crumbling buildings and badly demoralized teachers. Ultimately half of the Los Angeles Unified School District's teachers walked off the job to protest conditions in their schools.[5] Mr. Reagan was unmoved.
Ronald Reagan left California public education worse than he found it. A system that had been the envy of the nation when he was elected was in decline when he left. Nevertheless, Mr. Reagan's actions had political appeal, particularly to his core conservative constituency, many of whom had no time for public education.
In campaigning for the Presidency, Mr. Reagan called for the total elimination the US Department of Education, severe curtailment of bilingual education, and massive cutbacks in the Federal role in education. Upon his election he tried to do that and more.
Significantly, President Reagan also took steps to increase state power over education at the expense of local school districts. Federal funds that had flowed directly to local districts were redirected to state government. Moreover, federal monies were provided to beef up education staffing at the state level. The result was to seriously erode the power of local school districts.[6]
As in California, Mr. Reagan also made drastic cuts in the federal education budget. Over his eight years in office he diminished it by half. When he was elected the federal share of total education spending was 12%. When he left office it stood at just 6%.
http://www.newfoundations.com/Clabaugh/CuttingEdge/Reagan.html

Reagan supported a Constitutional amendment to allow voluntary prayer in schools. Of course, nothing stops any student for praying before a test they failed to study for.

Reagan's legacy in California is clear. California now rates 48th among the states in per student spending, and has been well below that of other states since 1970. Reagan was governor from 1967 through 1974. http://www.cbp.org/pdfs/2011/111012_Decade_of_Disinvestment_%20SFF.pdf

I guess infallibility is not guaranteed to the most interesting man in the world.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well because mac prefers this thread to be about bashing past presidents, I'll chime in on that, no problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why Hillary Is Not Inevitable: Bill’s Sordid Past

4:37 PM 12/15/2014

No Clinton has been on the national general election ballot since 1996. More than half of registered voters have no memory or knowledge of the Clinton presidency. These voters can be educated during a campaign and everything about the Clintons will be under a magnifying glass. Hillary’s soaring poll numbers are her high watermark. Her role in the Vince Foster death, Travelgate, and Waco will all be on the table. A re-examination will yield many facts not reported at the time. Hillary’s co-presidency is not pretty.

Frank Bruni of The New York Times suggest that “breaking the glass ceiling for women” is the rationale for Hillary’s candidacy. This path is wrought with even greater danger because of the activities of her husband.

**The new public scrutiny of Bill Cosby is also problematic for Bill Clinton. I am not talking about consensual sex but, in some cases accusations of sexual assault, torn clothing, and at least three victims who say he bit their lips as a disarming move and to get them to remain silent. In short, Bill Clinton has a Bill Cosby problem.

Eileen Wellstone, a 19-year-old English woman, said Clinton sexually assaulted her after she met him at a pub near the Oxford where Clinton was a student in 1969. In fact, Clinton was expelled from Oxford and earned no degree there.

Juanita Broaddrick, a volunteer in Clinton’s gubernatorial campaign, said he raped her in 1978. Mrs. Broaddrick suffered a bruised and torn lip, which she said she suffered when Clinton bit her during the rape. Broaddrick gave a stunning interview to NBC’s Lisa Myers about the assault.

Carolyn Moffet, a legal secretary in Little Rock in 1979, said she met Gov. Clinton at a political fundraiser and was invited to his hotel room. “When I went in, he was sitting on a couch, wearing only an undershirt. He pointed at his penis and told me to suck it. I told him I didn’t even do that for my boyfriend and he got mad, grabbed my head and shoved it into his lap. I pulled away from him and ran out of the room,” she said.

Elizabeth Ward Gracen, the Miss Arkansas who won the Miss America crown in 1982, told friends she was forced by Clinton to have sex with him shortly after she won her state title. Gracen later told an interviewer that sex with Clinton was consensual. Her roommate Judy Stokes has said the ex-Miss Arkansas told her she was raped after the incident.

Paula Corbin Jones, an Arkansas state worker, filed a sexual harassment case against Clinton after an encounter in a Little Rock hotel room where the then-governor exposed himself and demanded oral sex. Clinton settled the case with Jones with an $850,000 payment.

Sandra Allen James, a former Washington, D.C., political fundraiser, said Clinton invited her to his hotel room during a political trip to the nation’s capital in 1991, pinned her against the wall and stuck his hand up her dress. She fled.

Christy Zercher, a flight attendant on Clinton’s leased campaign plane in 1992, says presidential candidate Clinton exposed himself, grabbed her breasts and made explicit remarks about oral sex. Zercher said later in an interview that White House attorney Bruce Lindsey tried to pressure her into not going public about the assault.

Kathleen Willey, a White House volunteer, said that Clinton grabbed her, fondled her breast and pressed her hand against his genitals during an Oval Office meeting in November 1993. Willey became a target for a Hillary directed smear campaign after she went public.

More important, however, is the evidence that Hillary had full knowledge of her husband’s activities and authorized and directed the use of heavy-handed private detectives to wage a intimidation campaign to terrorize Bill’s victims into silence.

In other words, Hillary has violated women in her lust for power. Hillary Clinton raped Bill’s female victims psychologically as much as her husband did physically. Will some of these women come forward to challenge Hillary Clinton over her husband’s actions and her role in their cover-up?

Women voters could be deeply offended by Hillary’s abuse of her fellow women. Herein lies her greatest vulnerability. As Boston Globe columnist Joan Vennochi wrote, “maybe, while Bill is off the hook, Hillary isn’t. The next two years will certainly tell us whether his long-ago activities are the shadow campaign issue for his wife.”

for the rest~
http://dailycaller.com/2014/12/15/why-hillary-is-not-inevitable-bills-sordid-past/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough about Hillary...NW, are you fired up for Jeb? He , like 68 senators and the Prez supports comprehensive immigration reform...
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaaaaaaaay to early for me to get fired up about anybody.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite capable of going to Drudge, and clicking a link about Bill Clinton. What I like to see here is actual opinions of fellow windsurfers. Do you like Jeb? Is he preferable to Chris Christie? These are two guys we have had a little exposure to.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, the Daily Caller? That's on a par with the National Enquirer, or maybe worse. You must have a strong hunger for trashy news.

boggsman, there's no way that I'd ever vote for any Republican. That said, given a Republican win in 2016, I would think that either Jeb Bush or Chris Christie would be huge improvement over any of the other contestants. Still though, I will say that Senator Rand Paul is the real dark horse in the running. I have to give him credit for working outside the standard Republican envelope on many varied topics, but he still maintains a load of bizarre Libertarian quirkiness that can be arguably linked with his dad's agenda.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
NW30, the Daily Caller? That's on a par with the National Enquirer, or maybe worse. You must have a strong hunger for trashy news.

It's funny that you never get on bajaDean for giving us daily updates from the dailyKos, or is he just the crazy uncle in the room, that we are not supposed to read?

You may call it trashy, but try to prove the article wrong, instead of using that overused cheap shot that says nothing.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW--what you fail to comprehend, again and again, is that the poor credibility of your sources demonstrates that you are not willing to read on both sides of an issue and make up your own mind.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, by choice, I never read the dailyKos or other such questionable over-the-top liberal sources for news. Internet sources can be just like 24/7 cable news, but often much worse and infinitely less credible overall. Why drag the bottom of the barrel for anything? It's not my focus, and there's no real gain in gathering and promoting it. Moreover, it would be way too embarrassing for me to be associated with that stuff.

As far as trying to disprove questionable nonsense, it's not worth the time. I'm definitely not interested in getting all worked up about Bill Clinton's supposed sexual escapades over the years. That's Hillary's problem.

Regarding bajaDean, there have been a number of times where I have questioned his posts and his overly quick to attack attitude. Even though some of his rants can be tiring and repetitive in nature, he can offer some very worthy contributions. To be frank though, when he gets a bit too carried away, I will simply skip on to the next post.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
1. is he just the crazy uncle in the room, that we are not supposed to read?

2. but try to prove the article wrong, instead of using that overused cheap shot that says nothing.

1. DUH!

2. That's too haaaaard.
I gotta admit, though, that the easy way has merit and is statistically sound. I pay no attention when the NYT kisses Liberal butt, Ted Cruz says "Obamacare bad", Juan Williams says something stupid, or an automatic tranny shop tech says "You need a new transmission", because that's what they do. i.e., it's not news, has no inherent validity, and is biased literally beyond belief. It's when they do the opposite that I sit up and take notice because it must REALLY PAIN them to admit anything favorable to Conservatives.

Besides, any claim can be quickly disproved with just one more click. The challenge is in judging the preponderance of the evidence, of which ideologues are by definition incapable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: