myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Quiver For Slalom Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go with a Severne cammed sail since you have the Severne mast already?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

severne overdrive
catsailor500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Severne mast, so any sail will work. My old rig (really really old, my dad's from the late 80s) broke last time I was out, it's not worth it to fix. So whatever sail you guys think is best, I had just heard good things about the Blaze
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear about things, is it your intent to buy two sails, a mast and a boom? Basically, a complete set-up. So, if you bought the Severne brand, you would match up their mast and sails. On the other hand, if you bought the Maui Sails brand, you would match their mast and sails. If that's your plan, you're on the right track.

However, when it comes to booms and mast extensions, there is no need to stick with a given brand. If I was to recommend a boom, it would the appropriate Maui Sails carbon monocoque boom that fits the clew lengths of your sails. Why the Maui Sails brand? Their front end is arguably the best on the market.
paccorti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh the same as you 190#. I use an Ezzy Infinity 8.5 (2 cam) as my light wind sail. Your original question 12-22knots translates to 13.8-25mph (I can't think in knots)! 10-13mph is the minimum where I can plane; other more skilled sailors can presumably do better in that range. That's without pumping or any other tricks to get on plane. I use the Ezzy 8.5 right into the high teens/low 20's mph by changing downhaul. My last OBX trip I did use the 8.5 with high downhaul and it worked perfectly for me. From there I step to an Ezzy Freeride 6.5. For me those two sails would cover the wind range you specified. Now I looked up your board and it says (I think) that the smallest sail you should use is a 7.5 on that board (am I right). With that in mind perhaps I'd go with a 9.5 and a 7.5. Generally I like to be overpowered but a 7.5 might be a handful in the mid 20s mph for me; ymmv.

I use an Ezzy 490 RDM mast and a Chinook Carbon boom (that I've had forever) for the big Ezzy.

When you mention the Rocket 125 is that instead of the RRD or in addition to?

FYI here is a video of my planning a Tabou Rocket 135 with the Ezzy 8.5 in light wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6W-s74iAI

Peter
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not limited to what will fit on an existing mast but have to buy a mast too, expand your horizons. Big sails that are designed for RDM masts now work as well as sails designed for SDM masts. Ezzy only designs for RDM masts and he is probably the most popular sail brand in the US.
HSM and Loft now also design their big race and freeride sails specifically for RDM masts.
catsailor500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, here's where I'm at right now:

I have the XFire 144, that's the board I need a new rig for. I will not be getting any other boards, because 22 knots is about the highest we ever consistently get where I sail.

Rig-wise, I'm thinking of getting a 9.5-10m sail and a 7.5 or 7 sail, along with a 490 mast. I'm not sure what brand or specific sail would be best (for blasting around freeride), but I have looked at the Maui Sails Blaze, as well as the Ezzy Lion (looks like it replaced/renamed the Infinity). I would rig these on a 490 ~75% carbon mast of the same brand as the sail manufacturer. Due to price, I think I'll have to go aluminum on the boom.

I also plan on purchasing a smaller, 46cm fin for the smaller sail
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Ezzy Lion replaced Infinity. great sails, lots of onsail rigging info to get it right. Ezzy masts are made in USA by NoLimitz (if that's important to you, it is to me.). the Ezzy masts are 91% carbon, I think.

Ezzy Cheetah (nocam) would also be a good choice.

for large sails, if you can swing it financially, carbon booms make a big difference in terms of weight and performance. The Chinook Pro 1 Carbon are awesome, amazing, have a better boom head then Maui Sails (I have both, chinook is alot easier to put on, has integrated rdm adapter so you don't have a separate adapter floating around, much smaller in size so you have more choice where you put it in the boom cutout, lighter than MS I think, better and more durable grip material) and are also made in USA (if that's important to you, it is to me).

of course, if the carbon boom is just too much, the pro 1 alloy is also a great boom with the same boom head.

above all, I hope you have fun with all of your new stuff!!
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on a right track. You can go 9.5;8.0 or 9.0;7.5 or any other combination along those lines. My adwise would be to stay away from cambered sails because the hassles outweigh the benefits. If only you see what damage the cambers do on the mast after just one season you'll know what I'm talking about it. The most simple choice would be Ezzy Cheetah +Ezzy RDM. If you want to go more performance and as close to cambered sails as it gets without the drawbacks you can choose Sailworks Retro + Joystick SDM /I personally use Retro with a Gulftech RDM , but you are bigger then me and may like SDMs better/. Both sailmakers are highly reputable whith top quality and performance products. As for the boom -carbon is best of course, but the more expensive aluminum models have a good stiffness too.
catsailor500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, sounds great. Right now I definitely can't swing for a carbon boom- I'll save that for later. The Cheetah definitely sounds good too, I always liked nocam sails, but was talked out of it earlier in the thread when I was thinking about only getting one sail, but I think if I'm getting two the range on them should be fine. Still thinking 9.5/7.5, and matching an Ezzy 490 bottom and top and then also having a 430 base for the 7.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: