myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need help with rigging sail properly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yegadz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Need help with rigging sail properly Reply with quote

My 2006 North Sails 5.8 indicates using a 430 mast. Even with max downhaul the mast sleeve is still "baggy", not tight. Also, the sail recommends 182-185 for the boom, but this is not enough extension. What do I need to do?
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound obvious but add some extension to the base. You didn't say how much you already added. What is the luff of the sail? This will give you a starting point on how much extension you need.

As to outhaul I never pay attention to the numbers. Get the downhaul set proper (leach between top three battens should be loose) then add a slight positive outhaul. This has served me well for 20 years. However there could be some sails out there that have a different outhaul requirement...
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable top head? What mast are you using?

Coachg
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind my on-topic noob question. I've a Chinook 180 - 240 cm carbon boom. When the boom is fully collapsed should I assume it is at 180 cm? Do the markings on the boom indicate an incremental increase in boom's length? So at "20" the boom should be 200 cm long?
yegadz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Need help rigging sail Reply with quote

Thx johnl and coachg for your responses. The Luff is 4.54-4.57. No extension tube used. Chinook SDM 430 carbon 40 mast. Top mast is not adjustable. Could I use a 460 mast?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I use size markings on sails and mast and boom extensions as rough guides rather than absolutes. This gives you a starting point to tune your gear for the physical attributes you're looking for. This may require deviating up or down from the printed numbers on different components.

In the end, you want finish off your downhaul where the sail's pulleys are very close to the pulleys of the mast extension, and your sail's clew is outhauled very close to the boom end. In the case of the latter, if you want, you can provide for some degree of extra line for subtle tuning adjustments while on the water. For myself, I start off with maximum measurements so that I can loosen things up later if I choose. Needless to say, it's a lot tougher to tighten things up after hitting the water, especially downhaul.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yegadz,

If your sail's luff is 454-457cms, and you are using a 430cm mast, you need 24-27cm of lift in your mast extension. I'm assuming that you are using an adjustable mast extension that can provide the necessary added length to your mast to achieve the sail's final luff length.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help rigging sail Reply with quote

yegadz wrote:
Thx johnl and coachg for your responses. The Luff is 4.54-4.57. No extension tube used. Chinook SDM 430 carbon 40 mast. Top mast is not adjustable. Could I use a 460 mast?

IF the luff is 454cm and you are using a 430cm mast quick math tells you that you need 24cm of extension which is a lot. I think the most I use on a Northwave is 18cm. HOWEVER IF the recommended mast is a 430cm then I have to think that somebody with more knowledge of their sails (the manufacturer) wants the long extension for a reason. There should be a recommended mast on the sail or bag.

With a 460cm mast you would have 3 to 6 cm sticking out. About 1 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches sticking out. Not really a lot UNLESS the manufacturer designed it with the shorter mast for a reason..
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yega,
some of what you said is confusing me. How do you downhaul if you are not using an extension? the extension has the cleat and pulleys on it and is the thing that the universal joint attaches to.

anyway, if luff length is listed as 4.54 to 4.57, those numbers are in meters. So, the total length of mast and extension needs to be between 454 and 457 cm. If the sail says to use a 430 cm mast, then you need to use an extension that is set between 24 and 27 cm.

adjust boom according to what someone else said. boom lengths are given from middle of boom cutout, so if you attach your boom a little higher than the middle, than the boom will need to be set to a slightly longer length.

I'm sure others will chime in with similar or better explanations than mine. good luck and have fun.
(I guess they already did).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mast should be compatible, what johnl said about extension amount is correct.NO on the 460 mast, start with the quoted specs, then alter till you get some leech flop between the top and next batten down.

for out haul use the specs, measure the distance from the mast FRONT to the sail clew end inside . You should still have some curve//defined foil shape in the sail at the inside of the luff sleeve, not flat , which will may no power. I test with my hand from the clew end as far as my hand will reach towards to mast and push the sail towards the downwards the boom,(rig is laying flat on the ground) the sail should not touch the boom.

What North sail is this ?

Photo would be nice, it should rig ok with what you have, and let us know about the extension, you probably mean you are using an extension, but at ZERO or close to ZERO adjustment

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: