myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangevan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Sail Advice Reply with quote

Around 5-7 years ago I used to windsurf on an outdated cheap rig that was not very good.

I am looking to start windsurfing again but with some better equipment. I am a beginner to anything other than a longboard from the 80's but I learn quickly and don't mind frustration.

I just purchased a Mistral Flow 276 and I'm looking for a sail probably in the 5.0-5.5 square meter range. I am 6'1" 215 pounds.

Any suggestions for what kind of sail I should buy that isn't going to run me over 400 bucks?

Thanks,
Evan
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a good beginner board for anyone living in the northeast, unless maybe you weigh 100 lbs., and even then it's not a good beginner board. I hope you can waterstart.

What kind of conditions will you be sailing in?
orangevan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can waterstart. I wasn't looking for a beginner board because I would have to upgrade too soon and I didn't want to waste money, not to mention decent longboards are very difficult to come by around northern minnesota.

I will be sailing in 15-20 mph wind conditions.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a lot of wind to be able to plane on that board with a 5.5, at least 25- 35 mph. If you are looking to sail in winds of the 15-20 range you'll need a much bigger board, something around 145 l and a large sail, an 8.5 would probably work well. That board with a rig will not float you! It won't work at all for you in that kind of wind. Talk to some pros and get some advice.

Check out www.curtissportconnection.com for used gear.

Good luck! The guys a Curtis are great, very helpful.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That board is only 103 liters, you should be thinking about at least 120 to 130 liter board minumum for use in 18-25 mph with a 6.5 or 7.5 sail. 103 with a 5.5 is what I use in 25-30 and I only weigh 175 and have waterstarted for 20 years.
As far as sails, look for a 10 year old or less camless sail from Ezzy, Sailworks, Aerotech, Simmer Gaastra or Naish.
zenzen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Sail advice Reply with quote

Evan,
I sail here in north central Minnesota on a lake surrounded by big pines. My small board is 145 liter Nash icon circa 2005. I usually sail a mistral prodigy which is around 300 liters. I'll sail also a sup and a bic techno 293 which is 220 liters. The wind is so up and down that I prefer the larger boards with a retractable centerboard. My sail is almost always a gaastra 8.0 no matter what board. I weigh 160 and learned on an original windsurfer back in the 70s. I also leave in LA and sail a 103 liter board in the ocean. Definetly get a bigger board. I like a centerboard too so I can get back up wind quicker. I have a 2004 ezzy infinity which you can use with or without cams. Used 10 times probably. It was just too big for me. Message me if your interested. I leave back for LA in 3 days and could ship to you. I'm in Hackensack if you happen to be nearby. Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: