myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
replace 2 boards with 1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: replace 2 boards with 1? Reply with quote

I probably have too much time on my hands right now (not much wind), butg I've been sitting here thinking about simplifying my high wind board quiver. Currently I have an 85l (for high end of 5.5 down to 4.2) and a 75l (for high end of 4.2 and 3.7).

What came to mind was getting something around 80 l to replace these two boards. The 85 l is an FSW and the 75 l is an older wave board. I don't use the 85 l that much (several times a year) and I think I have only used the 75 l 2 or 3 times since I got it about 4 or 5 years ago. It just doesn't blow that hard that much around here when I can sail (Long Island).

anyhow, I am advanced intermediate (I'd guess) and around 165 lbs. currently. b&j conditions mostly.

I was thinking about something custom, possibly an OO. I really like the looks of them for high wind use.

thoughts? (can't wait to see what kind of mayhem ensues on this one, but I do value your replies.)
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your 85L beating the crap out of you when it gets really choppy? Some are smoother than others. A more "wavish" board might give you more range. And Exocets are especially cushy. If you go the OO route you will probably want to go at least 85L, certainly not smaller. Best to talk to Brian about your needs, of course.

ps: Dennises rule!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy to convince Brian that you can create a board that works
"well" from 5.5 down to 3.7, but it is an interesting conversation. I'm currently looking for a used OO in an 8'4" or maybe 8'2" of the more modern variety, with a little extra width, for just this purpose. My current
custom board (which works great from 5.5 to 3.7) is wearing out rapidly.
I might just get another built like it.

-Craig

dennis_c wrote:
Is your 85L beating the crap out of you when it gets really choppy? Some are smoother than others. A more "wavish" board might give you more range. And Exocets are especially cushy. If you go the OO route you will probably want to go at least 85L, certainly not smaller. Best to talk to Brian about your needs, of course.

ps: Dennises rule!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis #1 with the 7s & 8s, was 007 already taken ?

IS there another board of larger liters in the quiver ? 85L seems small as the largest board, In my very humble opinion

similar to your weight, 155LB. What I have found is there are very few FSWs

under 76L, they all seem to be wave boards, which are fine in intended use, but unless they are FSW oriented, a few, they they want a lot of wind to make go in B&J. They work ok, mostly because there are few options and the use is rare, for me as well so I understand that bit.

so keeping your question of topic in topic, a small board when only used seldom , it may be a good idea to keep for the nuclear days, when you could otherwise say, well my board is too big to go out in this wind.

If I wanted to combine the 2 boards : I think something rather like a TABOU:: POCKET WAVE of 80 L would be a serious contender.

If it were me writing the check it would be for the Witchcraft Chakra 82L.
http://www.witchcraft.nu/chakra.php#1

no coincidence that these are both tri fins.

may the Dennis force be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each board has its own pros and cons, depending on dozens of factors comprising conditions, design, and preferences, and a multidimensional Venn diagram of 85s, 75s, and 80s will show SO much overlap that your goal is quite attainable. Some 85s handle 3.7 just fine, most 75s will handle 5.5 until the wind gets too holey, and SO much depends on sail size preferences (one guy's "3.7" is the next guy's 5.2).

You say this 80L board is just for use a few days a year, so there's no reason to pay extra for a new board, let alone a custom, unless you just want one. Even if you can't find some good candidates locally to try out before buying, Windance always has several good candidates in your size range for anywhere from $150 to $700 plus <$100 shipping, and there's nothing magical about any one brand.

Your first priority seems to be sail range, from at least 3.7 to 5.5 ... whatever that means to you. Back when OO posted sail ranges for their boards, for example, their posted (and tester verified) sail ranges were comparatively narrow ... well below your 3.7 to 5.5 target range ... and he's still using many of the same templates. JP's in general emphasize speed over ride comfort, so what works at 5.5 may get harsh @ 3.7; even my older/narrower 75-ish JPs get left onshore when my 4.2 is pegged, yet my 80L Naishes, Rogue Wave, RRDs, AHDs, and others are completely comfortable and trustworthy when wound up on a 3.7. Heck, even my 90L RRD FSW circa 2006 is fine with a 3.7 until most guys are on 3.2s, and I hear Exocets ride even better. I wouldn't try that on any modern wide/"stubby" 80L, though, and expect it to turn tightly at full speed in heavy chop; my 80L Starboard EVO, for example, was a pearling pogo stick in rough water with a 4.5.

In that size range, SO much depends on the chop, on your power preferences, and on your sailing style (blasting in straight lines or carving up any swell or waves, powered vs luffed, etc.). I've used a powered-up 6.2 on my 80L Naish Wave as an experiment, for example; it worked, but then 80L is my bread and butter size in normally holey winds @ 190#, so I'd guess your 5.5 goal is a good cutoff. Important question: how does your preferred sail size compare to the other guys sailing with you? The more power you like, the less width you need, and vice versa. I LOVE the slightly older, slightly narrower wave boards for B&J sailing, especially the control, comfort, and speed they provide when powered up. If sail size efficiency is more important to you than those factors, go wider.

There is no ideal board brand or model for you, custom or off the shelf. Unless you can try something out first, it's a crapshoot aided by feedback from us, your friends, the literature, etc. How much money do you want to spend on a seldom-used crapshoot?
Windnc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Replace Two Boards With One Reply with quote

I have to strongly second U2U2U2's recommendation for the Tabou Pocket Wave 80 liter!! I am 200 pounds and recently got a Tabou Pocket Wave 93 liter. It has now replaced both my 94 and 84 liter boards that I was using. I use it with the tri-fin set up on the ocean and waves and as a single fin when sailing B&J conditions.

It has truly become a One Board Solution for me for sailing everything from 6.2 down into the 4.5 range!! I would think the Pocket Wave 80 would likely do the same for the sail range you are talking about.
windswell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an older Open Ocean I'll trade and give you some $$$ for that FSW 85L. The OO worked for me high end of 5.8 to 4.0. It's an older model, but a lot of his rocker line curves haven't changed that much over the years. He's built 5 boards for me It's definitely a chop-eater, but you'd probably want to move the mast box back a little or endure some ribbing at the beach. It is fiberglass over Clark foam, so easy to move the mast box if you must.

I even have pictures of it sailing some nasty reversing chop at Shelter Island near you. I'm in Westport Mass, but may get to Shelter Is/Greenport this summer.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, going to keep the 85l FSW for now. so, maybe I'll look for a slightly newer, used 75l than the one I have. as for sail size, I think I use sails that are the same or very slightly smaller than most guys (barring the freestyle dudes) around the beach. Heavy chop when wind is up.

fwiw, the next board up is a 102l Rogue Wave custom that I absolutely love. It was made for me 2 or 3 years ago, I forget now. But, it is amazingly awesome. I use it with 6.3 and 5.5. I've spent many many great days on it. I'm all in favor of custom boards if I'm the one for whom it was made.

next board up from the RW is a Fanatic Ray 130l TE that is awesome and amazing too. Was thinking about a Mike's Lab, but got a bit turned off by waiting time. The ray is just about right for me. for 7.5.

then, there is a Fanatic Megacat in the barn along with a Fanatic allwave 9'6" and an Exocet Pacer that apparently, I am the only one that appreciates its abilities.

oh, 778, sail number, although I've been using "phi sub B" the past year or 2. (magnetic flux linkage symbol in case you didn't know). Josh Angulo even completed me on it, I guess 2 years ago. Thanks, Josh! CV-1 is also cool!

and, yes, Dennis's are the best. Not Denis's but Dennis's, that is.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I am a big fan of adjustment by fin. I especially like to use a smaller fin to increase the range of a board that is a little big for the conditions. It can be like dropping 5 liters IMHO. Of course if you have a van full of boards, you just change boards.

And Brits are okay by me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: