myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
modulating jibe radius
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you're trolling, or you haven't searched this forum and rec.windsurfing for the physics and logic behind it. Do us all a favor and read those few hundred acrimonious posts first.

as a BIG sigh of relief sweeps over the crowd ...
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Either you're trolling, or you haven't searched this forum and rec.windsurfing for the physics and logic behind it. Do us all a favor and read those few hundred acrimonious posts first.

as a BIG sigh of relief sweeps over the crowd ...

HA! You better be more confident when you say "us".....
Wink

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to avoid kicking that dead horse again? What's left to be said about the issue?
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait! Was he referring to Back Foot First? I thought he meant Best Friends Forever. Wink
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get in on this action.

I was sitting on the beach with a kiter one day. He said 'look at all of those ex-windsurfers out there kiting. Watch these guys jibe their kites. Think. Did they ever make pretty jibes windsurfing?' The answer was 'no'. And these folks had been kiting for way less time than they had been windsurfing. It's one of the reasons folks are moving from windsurfing to kiting.

Personally, I switch my feet after catching the sail. I sail for a second after the sail flip with one foot in each of the front straps. For me, it makes it much easier to control rail pressure. I don't get the '12 step jibe' thing. The folks who rave about it can't jibe and never seem to learn. The radius of the turn always changes when they switch their feet mid-jibe, and it knocks them off a plane.

The 'switch after flip' has so many fewer steps to get messed up on.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konajoe you raise some good points.

Re switching the feet after the sail flip, there's no doubt that in the right conditions (a smooth patch of water) with a solid carve, switching your feet afterwards eliminates possible mistakes during the foot change (including bringing down the "new" back foot toe first, which screws up the turn radius as you said.) It's why duck jibing often gives the smoothest planing exits (late foot switch plus less sail work.) The reason the foot switch is taught before or during the sail flip is because properly done, it works in the greatest range of conditions (getting the weight forward early helps maintain planing in sloppy water and at less than blazing speed.) For myself I think duck jibes are the most fun of any jibes, and surely a part of that has to do with the smoothness that the late foot switch contributes. It's just not the best jibe choice in most conditions.

As for "the 12 Step Jibe thing" if you're referring to Dasher's video or the similar techniques taught by ABK, Peter Hart etc it may not appeal to you, but for many of us who in fact learned to consistently plane through our jibes by it, of course we rave. I was probably raving before I was planing through my jibes, too, because I felt I was improving and saw light at the end of the tunnel.

At the bottom of the blog post linked below there is a video of me from 13 years ago, planing through step jibes and duck jibes. I was taught the step jibes by Dasher, the duck jibe by Andy Brandt. Dasher actually shot this video. So there's proof of one "12 Step" jiber.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/02/why_i_love_arub_1.html

konajoe wrote:
I want to get in on this action.

I was sitting on the beach with a kiter one day. He said 'look at all of those ex-windsurfers out there kiting. Watch these guys jibe their kites. Think. Did they ever make pretty jibes windsurfing?' The answer was 'no'. And these folks had been kiting for way less time than they had been windsurfing. It's one of the reasons folks are moving from windsurfing to kiting.

Personally, I switch my feet after catching the sail. I sail for a second after the sail flip with one foot in each of the front straps. For me, it makes it much easier to control rail pressure. I don't get the '12 step jibe' thing. The folks who rave about it can't jibe and never seem to learn. The radius of the turn always changes when they switch their feet mid-jibe, and it knocks them off a plane.

The 'switch after flip' has so many fewer steps to get messed up on.

philodog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be a well rounded sailor you should be able to do both flip sail first (FSF) and switch feet first (SFF) jibes. The problem with discussing this is that if a person can`t do both they can`t really comment knowledgeably on which is better. Learning FSF is definitely easier in higher winds and on shorter boards hence the predominance of FSF at the Gorge. The problem is is that once learned most sailors rarely progress past the barely competent stage and get stuck doing the carve straight upwind, throw the sail and do the painful to watch bunny hop for the rest of their sailing careers. It is a habit worse than cigarettes to kick and most people learning this way will never learn SFF. The advantages to SFF is that you`re better balanced to catch the sail and immediately sheet in keeping on a plane, they are much easier in light winds and you can sail clew first. There are no more steps in SFF, they are just done in a different order.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch my feet when it's time ... before, during, or after ... independent of the sail flip. Timing of both varies with terrain, power, speed, board volume, turning radius, whether a gust or lull is expected, and maybe what I had for breakfast. Conditions change, and our technique should adapt real time.

The only problem I have with switching my feet after the jibe is that if I come back up to the new beam reach before getting my old front foot completely out of its strap, it sometimes gets stuck in there, and I have to either carve back downwind or drop off a plane to release it. Sailing switch stance with a foot strapped in also puts our knees at risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: