myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tie on Windsurf boom?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jandrew7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Tie on Windsurf boom? Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently purchased a rig from the early 90's. Unfortunately it features a tie on boom and not a clip. Any idea on how to tie it? Pictures would be awesome!

If you absolutely think its necessary... Where could I purchase a clip? ( I'd really prefer to give the tie on a shot)

The boom is a windsurf Hawaii brand.

IMG_20130809_203052_967.jpg
 Description:
Boom
 Filesize:  673.85 KB
 Viewed:  25144 Time(s)

IMG_20130809_203052_967.jpg

LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire the goal of using what you have. As far as I know it is not possible to make a rope-tie boom a clip-on boom. For $20 you could probably purchase an old clip-on boom, but i admire the desire to make use of what you have. Here are some pictures from a the rope-tie assembly from an old windsurfer. Not sure if it is the same as yours.

The basic principle is to secure the rope around the mast so it is fairly tight with the boom parallel to the mast. Then the raising (lowering) of the boom results in additional tension being placed on the rope so the the boom is tight against the mast. It may take a few times adjusting the tension in the parallel position before you get the desired tension.

1114-101230.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  663.85 KB
 Viewed:  25142 Time(s)

1114-101230.jpg

1109-042550.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  729.77 KB
 Viewed:  25142 Time(s)

1109-042550.jpg

jandrew7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
I admire the goal of using what you have. As far as I know it is not possible to make a rope-tie boom a clip-on boom. For $20 you could probably purchase an old clip-on boom, but i admire the desire to make use of what you have. Here are some pictures from a the rope-tie assembly from an old windsurfer. Not sure if it is the same as yours.

The basic principle is to secure the rope around the mast so it is fairly tight with the boom parallel to the mast. Then the raising (lowering) of the boom results in additional tension being placed on the rope so the the boom is tight against the mast. It may take a few times adjusting the tension in the parallel position before you get the desired tension.

Thanks for the suggestions! How would you suggest attaching the rope to the boom after attaching it to the boom?
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure? Is there some kind of cleat on the boom end?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boom has to be from the 80's. Did we do tie on booms in the 90s?

I remember that we had to put the back of the boom straight up toward the top of the mast, and tie what ever knot we used to do. Then bend the back of the boom into it's proper position at the clew. If you get what I'm saying, you bend it so the knot you just tied secures the boom head to the mast very tightly and it won't slip down.

Sorry, I'd have to be there to properly describe it and trial and error it.

I also would recommend buying a newer clamp-on boom. You will smile at the simplicity.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connection is flexible in a bad way. That is why it died as a rigging method.
You won't like it.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a non-blurry close-up view of the boom head? I think yours might actually be an evolutionary missing link between a tie-on boom and a clamp-on boom, in which case you just need to figure out where to thread and cleat the lines.

If it's just a regular tie-on boom, one of the tricks is to tie it moderately tight with the boom lying alongside the mast, then when you swing the boom up so you can tie on the clew end it will pinch the attachment to the mast tighter.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rope starts with a knot, loops around the mast 3 times, goes back thru a hole in the boomhead, thread's thru another hole, and the line slips under the two lines for a locking connection.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with others, I'd suggest getting an clamp-on front end off an old or broken boom, or just replacing the boom with an old boom - someone near you has one laying around.

If you want to use the tie-on, I attached some pics from an old boom (can't recall where I got these). Typically, as James said, you tie it tightly with the clew-end of the boom toward the tip of the mast. After it's tied, you lower the clew-end, thereby tightening the rope around the mast.

Also, Ted Schweitzer, http://www.originalwindsurfer.com, has copies of manuals from the original windsurfer, which include the tie-on instructions. I'm sure Ted would send you a copy of that page. Or, better yet, buy a whole new windsurfer from Ted! Smile

Brian

old-inhaul3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  548.85 KB
 Viewed:  25086 Time(s)

old-inhaul3.jpg

old-inhaul2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  382.25 KB

old-inhaul2.jpg

old-inhaul.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  682.44 KB

old-inhaul.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a lot of different ways to affix a tie-on boom, and just like universal connections to the board, manufacturers didn't follow standardized designs when designing their boom heads. But towards the end of the tie-on era, companies like Windsurfing Hawaii developed a fairly dependable design that didn't involve the use of a cleat.

In concert with design trends, smaller companies came out with simple parts that allowed the sailor to quickly and easily tie-off the inhaul rope. The best I found was a rectangular piece of plastic with two holes at either end to thread the two ends of the rope. Essentially, you would take a length of rope in fold it in half so that you would have a loop at one end. After placing the boom in parallel with the mast, and wrapping the rope around the mast, you would thread the two ends of the rope through the plastic piece and tie-off the two lines together. Based on trial and error, you would find the perfect tie-off tension so that when you swung the boom up perpendicular to the mast it was a tight and sound connection that didn't wobble. This meant that there was an awful lot of compression on the mast. To mitigate this, we all would use a metal or plastic shim where the rope wrapped around the mast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: