myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tips for dead onshore please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Tips for dead onshore please Reply with quote

Tomorrow looks like a good day for wave riding. There will be a storm all night long and waves will get up to 10' high and the wind for the day is expected to blow 15-25mph.The problem is that it will be a dead onshore at the launch. I will appreciate any tips for going thru the shorebreak etc. My boards are a 93lt FSW and a WindSUP and my sails are a 5.8 Kult and a 5.0 Revo
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your speed up, make progress to windward in between the waves, (esp on the backside of each one.)
Avoid the whitewater where you can, as it pushes you towards the beach. Sometimes you have to give up windward progress just to avoid the whitewater

Big fin/bigger sail than you think.

The SUP will be tough as more likely to catch whitewater.

You can shlog it outside if you are good at shlogging but you gotta be able to get close to the wind to do it,

One way or the other, you have to get the whole kit away from the beach as far as possible to begin.....Once you are out.....you should be good

Good luck...Rig Big!

Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you windsurfing at? My experience with on shore winds and waves is you need a bit more power to get out thru the shore break since you have waves coming at you. So rig a bit big and the 93lt board. Watch the waves and see where it's breaking the worst and the least. Time your take off so you can run in between the sets of waves, that way your running in between two waves, if you find a wave about to break, turn down wind a bit, out run the breaking section and run for the non breaking shoulder of the wave and go 45 degrees up that face and sail down the back side of the wave, watch for the next wave behind it and try to do the same thing. so your not caught by a breaking wave. Repeat until your on the out side of the shore break. It's tricky and I've gotten munched a few times when there is no place to go except into an oncoming wave just try to keep some power on so you don't stall out completely get half way up and the wave starts to push you backwards. That's not good. One other thing if you fall or get taken out try to keep the mast pointed towards the incoming wave so it doesn't get down wind where it can dig into the bottom and the next wave tries to fold everything over like a taco. I also try to hold on to the booms so the rig doesn't go over the falls on a wave that way you can water start and get the rig back up as soon as possible and get going again! But sometimes that doesn't work out either. Some times it's a few waves on the head and in the rinse cycle. Good luck and hope this helps.
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be on the Indiana -south shore of Lake Michigan .
What size fin would you recommend for the 93 lt in those conditions?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know your size, the windspeed, and what kind of fin.
Use something bigger than normal for the wind, waves upwind of you will block the wind a lot, so walk out as far as you can beachstart, then go along the shore to pick up speed, and then start the long process of getting out while sailing along the shore.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have a lot more fun driving up the Lake one side or another, more launches on Michigan side. Might be a total flail if the wind is truly dead onshore. dhmark
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
You will have a lot more fun driving up the Lake one side or another, more launches on Michigan side. Might be a total flail if the wind is truly dead onshore. dhmark

Well this is what everybody else here will be doing. But I'm stubborn /read stupid/ and I want to make it on THAT beach Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I sail in the ocean most of the time, there can be those days where it's both very windy and terribly onshore in direction. The problem is the super short period in between the breaking waves and the lack of any lulls. Add a lot of current running down the beach, and it becomes a real nightmare.

All you can hope for a sudden opening while moving along the shoreline to quickly edge out. It could be a stretch where the curve of shoreline and the depth of the water can give to the brief moment you need. But, if you are correct in that the breaking surf will be up to 10 feet, it's going to be incredibly tough.

For myself there have been days where you spend better than 30-40 minutes being constantly pummeled and worked on the inside, and then suddenly you make it out. On the other hand, there have been days where I couldn't make it out and have to give up. Needless to say, it's very frustrating and humbling when that occurs. Yet, it can happen to anyone on occasion. A number of years back in a PWA wave event at Sylt when the shorebreak was running 8+ feet and nasty, many pros were getting totally thrashed big time just trying to get out. One can only imagine their frustration and embarrassment getting humiliated in front of a huge crowd.

If the conditions are particularly nasty, you just might want to drive to a more favorable launch site. The extra drive time just might preclude busting up some expensive equipment. There's little worse than having a $1000 day and never making it off the beach.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
dhmark wrote:

Well this is what everybody else here will be doing. But I'm stubborn /read stupid/ and I want to make it on THAT beach Smile

It's really easiest to find a more sideshore beach, or a beach where you have some kind of breakwater or something to launch from behind. Or if it has to be onshore, a beach with a more gradual slope will make the waves break gentler and over a larger area. Steep beach and onshore winds with big waves is nasty.

If you're going for it anyway, just make sure you're powered up. If the 5.8 isn't enough you're going to be in trouble. A little less downhaul and outhaul than usual should give more power. Then it's a dance of bearing downwind for speed, alternating with pinching upwind to get out and over the whitewater. If the waves are "peaky" you can sometimes avoid the breaking part by judiciously pinching upwind or scooting downwind of it.

I'd go for a fin in the 25 - 30 cm range, with a thick profile to provide more low-end planing power. A knife-thin fin won't give you enough low-end power to get planing quickly between crossing lines of whitewater.

If the slope of the beach is gentle and / or the waves turn out to be less than head high, the WindSUP could work. I just wouldn't want to have the big board out in really crushing conditions.

Let us know how it goes.

btbill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 ft straight onshore sounds like a real goat rope with basically washing machine and very difficult to get out. Best bet is to find a side shore spot somewhere else along your nearby coastline.

Scenario here is basically entering the water, getting smashed by shorepound, and washing into the beach with perhaps some broken gear. If you do make it past the shore pound, will be sailing straight up and down the beach with waves/whitewater pushing you back toward the beach. Riding waves too is difficult as it will be very messy and not much fun. Likely to have the board/kit swept out from under you if you are too close to a 10 footer as its all moving "downwind."

Of course, if you are a wave kiteboarder, that setup is their dream conditions! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: