myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer's High; Sorry Runners, It's not even close
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Windsurfer's High; Sorry Runners, It's not even close Reply with quote

Windsurfer's High, Sorry Runners, It's Not Even Close

You know that feeling after a sailing session; that little stress headache is gone that builds up with work and other endeavors in life, you feel completely relaxed, you feel "great" somehow even though the old creaking joints are sore and stiff. But most of all you feel that all is right in the world (hint; that's called a euphoric feeling.) So what gives?
It turns out the reasons for this are coming clear and will continue to become even more clear with more research. Let's examine what we know at this time.
First, sunlight is good, not bad as we are so often told on the news. From an article in The Week; "Finally, some good news for sun worshipers who have withstood years of warnings about the dangers of skin cancer. Researchers in Scotland have just released a study suggesting that the benefits of exposure to sunlight might outweigh the dangers." And let's face it; folks in Scotland would best of all understand the need for sun. We know that sunlight promotes Vitamin D production and that leads to stronger bones and teeth but it goes beyond that. Vitamin D is associated with boosts to your immune system but also elevates serotonin; "(It) can lift your mood by increasing levels of serotonin, the brain's natural mood-lifting chemical." And finally, can boost levels of melatonin which promotes better sleep, better memory, reduces or helps prevent headaches and is a mood elevator.
Seasonal Affective disorder or SAD has been studied and all these have been found to be helpful and in some cases are being studied as treatments for SAD if not already being used today. So what is SAD? Every winter doctors are flooded with patients who don't feel well, aren't sleeping right, having chronic headaches and getting more frequent viral infections-sound familiar? So what may work on SAD? No surprise that light therapy (using a bright light in an office for periods of time) has been found helpful then! Does it surprise anyone that getting exercise outdoors in the sun even in winter is an effective treatment for SAD as well as effective (even as effective) for treatment of mild to moderate depression, maybe even more effective than medication? (Severe depression requires medication and often hospitalization-this is where Tom Cruise stepped in it on the Oprah show when he denied medication should be used.)
Finally windsurfing, okay kiting too, exposes us to the greatest levels of negative ions. What are negative ions? They are atoms or molecules with more electrons than protons so that they have a negative charge. Wind, sun and tumbling water such as waterfalls or whitewater are the greatest generators of negative ions. As it turns out, negative ions also are mood elevators. They have been studied as a treatment for SAD and found to be helpful-here we go again. From WEBMD; "Once they reach our bloodstream, negative ions are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin, helping to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost our daytime energy." All too familiar huh? And yes they have been found helpful in treating SAD and depression.
The article in The Week finishes with this; ""The sun is a superstar in many ways."
Serotonin soaring for all the junkies!
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. Thanks for the info. I love that feeling after a session. I am addicted for sure. A nice Pinot Noir after the session seems to enhance the buzz for me. I love everything about windsurfing.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun is good for you! Too much of a good thing is bad however, just try not to burn. I had melanoma 20 years ago, and lived like a bat, avoiding the sun at all cost for years, untill I got fed up. 15 - 20 min. a day of strong noonday sun is all you need. I no longer fear the sun, but respect it.If you supplement in the winter months, be sure to use D3. Have not had a cold since I started taking it over 2 years ago.

Something about the salt air and working in harmony with mother nature adds to the high I think. I always feel recharged after a good session. Maybe it's the negative ions?

The full spectrum flourescent lights are great! I have them in my office, and not only are they easier on the eyes, they make you feek like you're outdoors. They do seem to improve my mood in the winter months.

Thanks for the post!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think runner's high is a better feeling Very Happy (considering I run more than I sail...I could be biased) Very Happy
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Melanoma Reply with quote

My mom had melanoma, the most deadly, or only deadly skin cancer, which def increased my own risk of melanoma, so yes, skin surveilance is very wise but all the above still stands. Confuscias say; every thing in moderation...
jse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm often reminded of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Marion and Indiana Jones are in bed after he got dragged under the jeep for a mile or so and she says "Well, goddamn it, Indy, where doesn't it hurt?". That's how I feel after a particularly good session, and the hurt is what I like. It's like I hurt, but the endorphins are kicking in and I'm all kacked out. I definitely come back with a glow and I try to make it last.

Steve
drysuit2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: So is that my endorphin's, or serotonin working? Reply with quote

Not to hijack your thread. I thought it was a great write up.

But I wonder how many of us do it for the “High”?

Vs. how many of us do it for the “low”?

I am by nature, an anxiety ridden ball of stress. So I don’t get “psyched up” to hit the Ocean. I actually have to calm myself down.

In fact I am never more calm, more centered, more focused; than when I am windsurfing of surfing. I don’t think about anything; total tunnel vision; the bigger the conditions…the more centered and at peace I am.

So is that my endorphin's, or serotonin working?

Does windsurfing charge you up?

Or Calm you down?

Thoughts?
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, BOTH.

One of the best things for stress is exercise.

From my perspective, the need to get on the water grows with every day not windsurfing. It's like a druggie needing a fix, and once "fixed", the need subsides for a while and then begins to build again.

When the trees begin to move, the senses heighten, and the rush to get to the computer to see what is really happening is almost fanatical. Then it's either elation (good wind), depression (no wind) or frustration (maybe enough wind).

We are all hooked, but it's a really good thing.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it's a state of mind, it's that place where you lose yourself and findyourself at the same moment in time"

Find my moment at Ned's yesterday, sun, negatively charged ions, whatever, it's the best sport in the world. Nothing describes it, nothing compares!

DC
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So is that my endorphin's, or serotonin working? Reply with quote

drysuit2 wrote:

Does windsurfing charge you up?

Or Calm you down?

Thoughts?

BW (before WSing), as I was preparing to go to the desert to go dirt biking, my golden retriever puppy was killed by a car. I called my bud, canceled the ride, grieved for a while, called my bud back, and said, "Let's go riding. I can't stand this, and the only way to get my puppy out of my mind for a while is to distract it with something intense." It worked, at least for a few hours.

Whether it charged me up or calmed me down I don't know, but it took the edge off my heartbreak. Today, nothing grabs my mind like challenging WSing (the next best altered state of consciousness for me is writing.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: