myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving forward as more folks kite on surfboards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
Your post was longer than most of my paid meetings. You make some good points, but a post doesn't change the environment. Lead by example. I have met people with minimal sailing exp or skills. When they ask about the Hatch I tell them to stay away. Maybe you could be an advocate and kite up to the kiters constantly dumping their kites and lines at the Hatch and explain the dangers. Please feel free to do the same with the strapless wonders who jump without their boards. That ia not why I wear a helmet.
Most kiters I saol beside at the Hatch or anywhere else are strong and in control. No one is out there to hurt anyone purposely or ruin anyone else's good time. I imagine if this small group could sail or kite better they would do so gladly.
Have a great day on the water. Hope I don't ruin your Budda thing you have going on.
windyrhythms

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: I respect your inner surfer Reply with quote

Biff, you are soo right! It is wonderful to see such a reasonable and intelligent response. Thanks.I have windsurfed and kited in many places around the world. the two modes can be compatible. And yes it's fantastic to share a wave/swell with a friend. Those dogs who continue to try to defend their territory by intimidation are just garden variety bullies. This 4th of July weekend there was good wind and guess what? I heard there was always plenty of empty parking spaces at the Hatch, This was unheard of a few years ago. So where are all the windsurfers? Oh yeah, many of us are making that 2 mile upwind beat. Ok, I'm watching upwind, downwind, across and every which way whether I am riding a 5'3" board with strings or a 7' 10" board with a pole. AAAAOOOOHHHM, Namaste
merriam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I know Eric and he definitely does lead by example. In fact he has taught many of our local kids to windsurf, kite and kayak through an elective course at the middle school. Hope your boys get to take it. He's also one of the most inspiring teachers we've ever encountered (and there are lots of them in the Hood River school district.) Immagine teaching advanced math to 13 and 14 year old teenagers! Encourage your kids to get into that class as well.

knifeonwater wrote:
11. Kiting is not going away, share, or be amazingly frustrated and pissed off all of the time.

As near as I can tell from your annual "Kiting Manifesto" you are the one that appears to be "amazingly frustrated and pissed off all the time". Your posts get more condescending each year. Now you are not only targetting windsurfers, but strapped kiters and twin tip riders as well, (didn't see this on NW Kite Forum).

FYI, you are not surfing because you are being dragged on a "surf board" up or down the river. Go to the Coast and try it some time. It involves paddling and the wave providing the energy.

I have ridden with many kiters at many sites on the river, at the Coast, and in Baja with no issue. I actually enjoy riding in really good swell or waves with experienced kiters as much as, if not more than windsurfers. I do not enjoy riding with wave hogs or kooks on any kind of board.

If you are at a poker table and can't spot the patsy, you are it. Check your mirror.

Knife, I don't quite understand your post. What did he say that was condescending about strapped kiters and twin tip riders, or even windsurfers in general? His complaint was directed at aggressive territorial sailors.
Also, where does he say anything about surfing? Several times he says kiting on a surfboard and says it is not much different than riding swell on a windsurfer. You seem to agree with him that mixed riding is enjoyable. Your last sentence wasn't called for.
Tom
jgda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: agee, kites should cycle through Reply with quote

We were just talking about this at the hatch watching kiters essentially staying in the swell. I agree, kiters (and windsurfers) should enter the swell and then turn out and sail back across the river a bit to let others have a shot.

Maybe some agreed upon rules here....seems like that's what folks are going for....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: agee, kites should cycle through Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
Maybe some agreed upon rules here....seems like that's what folks are going for....

Good luck. We can't even agree on whether the oceanography textbooks are correct in calling Gorge swell "waves", whether ocean wave ROW "rules" apply to the above regardless of what we call 'em, or whether being on starboard obligates anybody to hold a straight line.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. Seems posts aimed at being irrefutable and overly authoritarian are supposed to turn the tides on perception and behavior. I find it to be quite the opposite - it raises the hackles for many,esp those in the heat of battle as this unfortunately seems to be. The example msg was meant to illustrate that taking an apologetic, cooperative attitude vs a paternalistic, tutorial one would serve ua all better.
Again there were very attentive kiters out yesterday. Even got an unnecessary apology from a kiter forced right at me on a swell by a sailor. We werecool right away and just moved on for more fun.
Lesson... smile, apologize, move on. And Tom, we would like to see you on the water more often.
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that I have experienced with kiters in the prime swell areas is that they always pinch diagonally up wind right through the swell and block sailors from riding waves and jibing. I have had this happen many times and have almost been driven right into shore as the kiter would not bear off and let me turn. Then, once they have cut all the way through the swell area, they turn and run straight down wind back through the swell area. Most of the time, they are not even riding a single swell but are riding up and over many swells and are usually way out in front of them wiggling their boards back and forth as if they're surfing something but they're on a flat section of water. It's pretty comical actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: