myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vextn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: board advice needed Reply with quote

Hi,
I would classify myself as a "perpetual advanced beginner" - meaning that I have learned over the years to cruise steadily, make (slow) turns and beach-start, however, not having more than a few days of practice every year, can't seem to progress much more. Until now I've always been renting but now I've decided to buy my own board and try to make myself practice more often to take the next step.

Question: what size/volume board should I look for? I'm 6'1", 190lb. The smallest board I've sailed so far was ~170l, and I definitely felt like I could go smaller. I saw an ad for a 149l HiFly Matrix S - do you think that would be pushing it too far?

I also have two teenagers who would also be learning along with me. I presume whatever suits me should work for them as well - am I correct in this thinking? Thanks for any and all advice you can give me!
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of posts on this topic. I can't be much help because I am still a novice myself, however it would be good to know what the conditions are like where you sail. Do you own any sails? A small board that you may be able to sail may not be ideal for learning to windsurf.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the temptation to "go small" because thats what the good sailors are on. Your big board can be a "keeper" AND a learning board if you want to keep planing in lower winds with big sails. Given that you have some skills, knowing the range of conditions you have and want to sail in eventually, you can probably get something you'll keep. Knowing your location, wind range, water conditions, will generate better advice here. dhmark
vextn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but the only the posts I can find give advice to complete beginners. I'm located in DC and go sailing around the mid-Atlantic area - Dewey Beach; Hatteras; Atlantic City, NJ. No huge winds or waves for me (and no ambition to master those), simply a desire to learn how to plane, cruise around and turn at relatively high speeds. Just wanted to figure out what size my "intermediate" and "final" boards should be (or maybe I should just pick a board that *will* be my final board?).

Yes, I do own some sails and masts already.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sails do you own? It's not the answer for everyone, but you may want to consider a longboard. Very versatile and fun from beginner to advanced. As you can tell I am partial to the Kona. You might also consider a mid sized (140 l) slalom board. If you want the teenagers to learn on it they need to be able to uphaul on it. Also getting a board that matches up well with your sails will improve performance.
vextn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Avoid the temptation to "go small" because thats what the good sailors are on. Your big board can be a "keeper" AND a learning board if you want to keep planing in lower winds with big sails. Given that you have some skills, knowing the range of conditions you have and want to sail in eventually, you can probably get something you'll keep. Knowing your location, wind range, water conditions, will generate better advice here. dhmark

Thanks, Mark, this is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get! So, is what I just posted above (sorry, didn't see your message at the time) enough information to give me a more specific size range? I haven't really researched the specific wind speeds around here, all I know is that they tend to be light during the warm months which is when I tend to go. I believe I've sailed once in winds close to 20 knots (and was barely able to handle it), but most of the time it's under 15. I own 5 and 6 sq.m sails.

Greg
vextn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
What sails do you own? It's not the answer for everyone, but you may want to consider a longboard. Very versatile and fun from beginner to advanced. As you can tell I am partial to the Kona. You might also consider a mid sized (140 l) slalom board. If you want the teenagers to learn on it they need to be able to uphaul on it. Also getting a board that matches up well with your sails will improve performance.

Wish I knew enough to know if I'll end up liking the longboard or slalom style better Smile But thanks for your suggestion, I'll definitely research both. What do you find attractive about the longboard, anyway?

So, would you say that the 149l HiFly Matrix S is too small to be the "intermediate" board? My boys are pretty skinny, I'd say ~125lb - hoping that they'll be able to uphaul from that board...

Greg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vextn wrote:
most of the time it's under 15. I own 5 and 6 sq.m sails.

There's obstacle Number One. You'll need MUCH bigger sails and a BIG board to plane often in wind in the low teens. Some of your WSing funds would be well spent on a spring wetsuit for more sailing when it's windier. We can't make it blow during the light wind season, but we can stay warm when it does blow.

Mike \m/
rangerider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a longboard - they are very versatile and plenty fast when powered up - when you get tired they make a good floating raft. For the type of conditions you are describing I think you would enjoy a long board more than a beginner board or a large short board. I have been happy so far with the Exocet wind-sup 11'8", it is a bit wider than a kona one. I also considered the RRD long-rider but have never seen or used one. I have an old mistral long-board that I learned on.

I purchased a JP X-cite ride 145 years ago, it has taken me years to get to the point that I really enjoy it - I did a lot of long-board sailing in the meantime and the experience on the long board helped me develop the skills I needed to be able to sail the short-board - for me experience on the long-board was a pre-requisite to short-board sailing. I would get a large, high-volume long board.

Also, you need bigger sails.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the step tail longboards. They behave more like shortboard while on the plane. You could get either a Kona or a Windsup.

Kona pluses: better glide makes it better for cruising. Soft eva top is nice for beginners. Fun recreational racing possible.

Winsup pluses: suitable for small waves, more stable and easier to get on a plane, non-eva deck is grippier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: