myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freestyle board for freesailing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: freestyle board for freesailing? Reply with quote

I know that curiousity killed the cat, but I am curious about something.

Fanatic re-released two older Skate shapes this year, saying:

"This season we also re-launched two familiar favourites - the test-winning 100 and 110 models. Now available in Biax Glass Sandwich construction they’re slightly longer and forgiving for freestyle fun at any level - perfect for newcomers, classic and carving moves and even small wave use."

This, to me, means they are saying these models can be used for just sailing around (don't want to use the word "freeride" as that conjures up images of just sailing back and forth in straight lines, but I certainly don't see people sailing in perfectly straight lines, everyone puts in some s-turns in each run, but I digress), or freesailing which means any kind of sailing where you are not forced to sail around designated marks or buoys (as in racing).

so, my question is: how many people use freestyle boards for just general sailing around with a minimum of freestyle moves thrown in?

once again, let the mayhem begin.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a couple of precious grand at stake, you might want to revisit previous threads on this topic and think three times about buying any manufacturer's advertising claims unchallenged. These Skates might make fantastic BAF/freeride/small wave boards; I have no idea. In general, however, freestyle boards are as unique as race boards, rockered-out Hawaiian wave boards, or beginner boards, few of which cross party lines with ease. A purely anecdotal but apparently valid example is a dedicated freestyle bud who tried for years to unload his Goya freestyle board because it beat the living crap out of his ankles, knees, spine, and teeth if there was any chop in the same county. Unfortunately for him in that regard, most of his WSing was on the Columbia River, and those body parts were half a century old.

"Why did he have such a hard time selling it?", you ask? Because he openly admitted to prospective buyers that the board "beat the living crap out of his ankles, knees, spine, and teeth if there was any chop in the same county." Do your homework -- begun here -- well.

As for "I certainly don't see people sailing in perfectly straight lines, everyone puts in some s-turns in each run", you might be amazed how many regular Gorge visitors do exactly the former and never try the latter. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they do this even in big, smooth swell. Fortunately for the rest of us, that reduces them to highly predictable moving pylons we can slice and dice around quite safely. Beats the heck out of trying to anticipate, dodge, and/or give room to others carving high-speed ant tracks out there. Pylons need only two mast lengths of space; ants on steroids merit and deserve many mast lengths, even more if both parties are ants. Unfortunately for everyone, a windy summer day confined to a couple of Gorge venues often barely affords consistent boom's length, let alone multiple mast lengths, in the good swell spots.
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for offering an answer for something you have no knowledge of. But he is right this conversation has come up in the past.

My Naish 115 freestyle is my low wind board. My Fanatic Skate 99 is my next board. I AM working on "old school" freestyle which means my board stays on the water. So what are you looking in a board for old school freestyle? Something that planes up real fast. Something that stays on a plane real easy. Something that holds its speed in a jibe.

Does this sound like something you like? If so then look at a freestyle board in that range.

Downside for this is that to plane up quickly you need a flatter board. So if you have real nasty chop a larger freestyle board (100 liters plus) might be a harsher ride than a freeride board. But this is a personal call. When I am on either board here in the gorge the water is FAR from smooth and this isn't an issue for me. But if you want to blast full speed it could be.

That being said I get some of my faster GPS speeds with my 115 Naish and a 5.7 sail yet it FEELS slower than being out on my 86 liter with a 4.2. Go figure..

Oh yeah, once upon a time I had the Skate 107 (my first freestyle board) and I LOVED it. It was replaced by the 110. I've heard nothing but good things about that board...
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I use freestyle boards (the JP 109 and the Skate 99) as all around boards (they will both sail in a straight line without too much rider input). Out east they are popular as lightwind waveboards too (amongst the usual suspects appearing in the Puffin, you'd find Peconic Jeff, Jon Ford, myself and others on them at Ponquogue or the Bowl.) Their upside is planing with a smaller sail (you can get away with almost a full interval less sail), great variety of jibing arcs (it's a beautiful thing to cut and slash hard with a 6.5 in your hands!) and a general liveliness. The downside is in heavy disorganized chop the ride gets to be pounding. For myself at 165lbs the 109 is the perfect size to take advantage of this. The 99 is my lightwind wave board, plus bay sailing with semiorganized chop (ie Sebonac, Mattituck) and of course flatter waters. But for West Meadow, Meschutt, or Little Peconic rock and roll you'd put them back in the van as soon as the wind hit 20. I agree with johnl's characterizations as well (also I do old-school carving freestyle.)

You are welcome to jump on either of mine anytime if we're in the same area. I think at the 110 range you'd be very happy.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Thanks Mike for offering an answer for something you have no knowledge of. ...

Downside for this is that to plane up quickly you need a flatter board. ... nasty chop ... harsher ride ... personal call ... an issue ... if you want to blast full speed it could be.

John, can you not see that your response reinforces mine right down the line? Did you not even look at the previous threads on the topic? Did I not cite a very knowledgeable source (that Goya owner can freestyle rings around you, let alone me) for my primary point? Did not the Puffinman (and subsequently U2U2U2 and kevincan) reinforce my primary concern?

So what's with the snot Dennis so justifiably feared?

Last edited by isobars on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, Michael, considering I normally sail to the west of where you sail (on the same island), I am thinking a FS board would be good/great for Tanner, but not so good for Joe's Beach.

thanks for the input.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, that is a great question. I'd also like to hear more about the differences between the re-released skate and the new one. I'm also thinking about getting a freestyle board (again) for freesailing in SF bay.

Here is my mistake from a few years back with the starboard flare 88l.... I bought the board to freesail and learn freestyle. As someone used to smaller wave boards I thought that I could downsize the freestyle board so it would do double duty as a bump and jump / freestyle board. At 88l (165lbs) it was actually a really good bump and jump board - super fun for jumping, amazingly quick to plane, very fast, lively, and good turns. It was in summary an amazing lightwind freesailer. It was however a bit too small for me to progress much with the freestyle. So, after an injury I gave up on the freestyle and sold the board.

I kind of wish I had gotten the right size board to start on. Now that I'm all healed I'm thinking of getting back into trying freestyle. Def got my eye on the fanatics.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since by your own admission you are ignorant on the topic:

isobars wrote:
These Skates might make fantastic BAF/freeride/small wave boards; I have no idea.

you might have considered not posting. You might have considered reading, and learning. BTW in non big-terrain conditions I think you would like these boards (Skate and JP). They will carve very tight turns relative to the sail size, they need less sail (we've discussed your inefficiency) and they are forgiving for the back foot first footstrap technique that you favor. They definitely provide more access to radical sailing in lighter winds than other board styles.

isobars wrote:
johnl wrote:
Thanks Mike for offering an answer for something you have no knowledge of. ...

Downside for this is that to plane up quickly you need a flatter board. ... nasty chop ... harsher ride ... personal call ... an issue ... if you want to blast full speed it could be.

John, can you not see that your response reinforces mine right down the line? Did you not even look at the previous threads on the topic? Did I not cite a very knowledgeable source (that Goya owner can freestyle rings around you, let alone me) for my primary point? Did not the Puffinman reinforce my primary concern?

So what's with the snot Dennis so justifiably feared?

xander.arch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm really interested in this post. Please don't turn this into some kind of pissing contest. Thanks
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
so, Michael, considering I normally sail to the west of where you sail (on the same island), I am thinking a FS board would be good/great for Tanner, but not so good for Joe's Beach.

thanks for the input.

I've had the 109 out at Joe's with a 7.0 and a 6.2. At the raucous end of 6.2 it stopped being enjoyable, but with that much wind I'm switching to the 93 FSW anyway. The cool thing is that I can sail the 6.2 on the freestyle board in conditions I'd otherwise need a 7.5 for, AND have more fun with jibe variety doing it. That, in my opinion, is what makes them worth owning.

(for non-LI sailors, Joe's Beach AKA Heckscher serves up moderate disorganized bay chop.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: