myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freestyle board for freesailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
so, Michael, considering I normally sail to the west of where you sail (on the same island), I am thinking a FS board would be good/great for Tanner, but not so good for Joe's Beach.

thanks for the input.

I've had the 109 out at Joe's with a 7.0 and a 6.2. At the raucous end of 6.2 it stopped being enjoyable, but with that much wind I'm switching to the 93 FSW anyway. The cool thing is that I can sail the 6.2 on the freestyle board in conditions I'd otherwise need a 7.5 for, AND have more fun with jibe variety doing it. That, in my opinion, is what makes them worth owning.

(for non-LI sailors, Joe's Beach AKA Heckscher serves up moderate disorganized bay chop.)

whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

for non-LI sailors, Joe's Beach AKA Heckscher serves up moderate disorganized bay chop.)[/quote]

Michael,
I think you are very knowledgeable and a very good guy, but have to disagree with you a bit with the "moderate" chop description. Weekends (boat traffic) can easily serve up chop that I would characterize as being much more intense that just moderate, but that's just my opinion and I haven't sailed in as many places as you have.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I understand what you are talking about as to the usage of freestyle boards. So, know, I just need to locate a good Skate 109 or 110 in good condition for not too many bucks!!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I rank as a good guy with you! Re chop, I was once sailing on the Peconic in what I considered big time chop with Jason Voss (in a Dasher clinic) when Jason told me some stories of San Francisco Bay chop. As I'd rather be accused of understating than exaggerating, I call Heckscher moderate. You sail there much more than me, though, so take it for what it's worth.

Be particular in the board choice. The Skate reissue (like the old Skates, and the old JP Freestyles) were golden for all purpose sailing. Some of the later JP's, all of the Starboard freestyles that I've tried, and I'm told some years of Skate are not so well suited. My experience on the Starboards was that it took constant effort to keep the nose pointed forward...that board wanted to spin (probably perfect for vulcans).

In my mind the lightwind planing boards is where spending the money for New makes the most sense. They're the board that decide whether or not we're sailing at all, we sail them in conditions that are comparitively less exciting (so every last drop of performance is particularly noticeable) and you don't see a lot of great lighter wind gear for sale cheap at the swap meets on Long Island. I myself intend to keep my JP 109 until it breaks in half (it already has so many repairs that Pete laughs at it openly. Or maybe he's laughing at the repair jobs, which I did myself!)

Dennis0778 wrote:

for non-LI sailors, Joe's Beach AKA Heckscher serves up moderate disorganized bay chop.)[/quote]

Michael,
I think you are very knowledgeable and a very good guy, but have to disagree with you a bit with the "moderate" chop description. Weekends (boat traffic) can easily serve up chop that I would characterize as being much more intense that just moderate, but that's just my opinion and I haven't sailed in as many places as you have.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I understand what you are talking about as to the usage of freestyle boards. So, know, I just need to locate a good Skate 109 or 110 in good condition for not too many bucks!![/quote]

johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Dennis, that is a great question. I'd also like to hear more about the differences between the re-released skate and the new one. I'm also thinking about getting a freestyle board (again) for freesailing in SF bay.

Here is my mistake from a few years back with the starboard flare 88l.... I bought the board to freesail and learn freestyle. As someone used to smaller wave boards I thought that I could downsize the freestyle board so it would do double duty as a bump and jump / freestyle board. At 88l (165lbs) it was actually a really good bump and jump board - super fun for jumping, amazingly quick to plane, very fast, lively, and good turns. It was in summary an amazing lightwind freesailer. It was however a bit too small for me to progress much with the freestyle. So, after an injury I gave up on the freestyle and sold the board.

I kind of wish I had gotten the right size board to start on. Now that I'm all healed I'm thinking of getting back into trying freestyle. Def got my eye on the fanatics.

I can't even imagine the 88 for freestyle. 99 is the smallest I would consider (but I weigh 180). Besides the new freestyle boards are REAL short so you can handle a bigger board which allows you a smaller sail. All good things even if you are just working on Duck jibes.

But as to chop, I've sailed quite a few places and have a feel for chop. Disorganized chop is tough on any board and definitely not any better on a freestyle board. But I am not young (59) and have a rebuilt foot with a plate in it and daily pain. I still don't consider the ride too harsh. BUT I do not like disorganized chop....
DriverA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got the '13 99 skate TE. I am a newer sailor (3 years), 6'2" and 215 lbs. I absolutely love this board! After getting beat up in Kalmus chop with other boards, I really had my sights set on a freewave board. The Skate does quite well in chop and the early planing ability really shines over a FW board.

The thing truly great about a freestyle board is the fin. I've been in Hatteras all week sailing 4.8 to 5.3 with a 15cm Makani koi weed fin. Gets you planing right up to the beach in super shallow spots.

Either version of the current Skate is a great choice!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fanatic Skate and JP s freestyle board , seem to transcendent into a all round concept more so that some others, whilst retaining the F/S board purpose. This was a not more popular conversation/discussion a few years back. The F/S will not handle chop waves and IMO doesn't have the versatility to suit most.

I had a 105L , and a 90L... ids intentionally left blank, neither suited the FSW niche. the twin fin Tabou actually did better 90ish liters.

My 2 ¢ is if you want play at F/S get they right board, if you want a FSW machine then get it.

IF you have pocket deep enough and VAN to haul them get both.

If you are a world class sailor/instructor ,ignore the above

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, there are a lot of people who prefer freestyle boards for general, all-around sailing. In my experience, this number goes up the lighter the wind and the flatter the water. Although, here in San Francisco Bay Area, there are still plenty of sailors who use dedicated freestyle boards in the 100-110l range who don't do aerial freestyle. Freestyle boards tend to be forgiving to jibe, have a low planing threshold, and have good acceleration.

I find fewer people who prefer the 90l freestyle boards over say a 90l FSW shape for general all around sailing, although they do exist (I am definitely one of them, but I also do a lot of freestyle)

A pure freestyle board compared to a FSW generally will be bouncier in chop and have a noticeably lower nose rocker which can catch while riding swell or going out in the waves.

Check board width while comparing boards... a 100l FS board is now around 64.5cm wide, while a FSW shape is closer to 62cm.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, your sailing is a different league than mine. You being the NFL team thats in the superbowl, me being a JV scrub team

Only thing I take exception to is the Freestyle being easier to jibe than FSW,

the wider board to me turns awkward, and with considerable more effort. Granted the width "may" help to stay dry.

It comes down to where your priorities are, all different strokes for different folks.

What you are willing to give up to receive

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Guys, I'm really interested in this post. Please don't turn this into some kind of pissing contest. Thanks

THANK YOU! More objections/pleas like yours would go a long ways towards cleaning up this place so we could focus on windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what's important in your sailing.
Do you like fast, high speed long radius carving jibes?
Do you want snappy, instant carves, digging a trench?
Do you like all around versitility, using one board for most conditions?
Do you sail with small sails or big slalom sails?
Can you handle 36 cm blades, or do you prefer a 20 cm stubby?
Is speed at all important?
Different strokes for different folks.
Lots of guys prefer dedicated slalom race boards for their general freeriding.
Lots of guys prefer dedicated freestyle boards.
Lots of guys prefer freeride boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: