myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freestyle board for freesailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underwood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best friends pulled the trigger on a 2012 skate 110 TE as his all round light wind board. He is extremely happy as he was able to replace a 120ltr freeride and 100 litre FSW. In lighter winds he is planing past most everyone else waiting for that all elusive gust. He sails it with a 7.0 on the high end down to a 6.3 or even 5.8 depending on what he is working on. Below that he switches to his 92ltr all around wave board. He is very happy as the board provides for an easy "pop", nice jibes, early planing and it fits really well in his van.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Lots of guys prefer dedicated slalom race boards for their general freeriding.
Lots of guys prefer dedicated freestyle boards.

I have both, and choose either one over freeride boards, depending on conditions. My Skate 110 is the weapon of choice if I can plane on 6.5 or 7.0 (about 16 mph winds, I'm 195 lbs). If that is not enough, I'm on a 117 l slalom board with an cambered 8.5. Even lighter and it's light wind freestyle. But in 16-22 mph, which we get quite often in the summer, the Skate 110 is easier to sail than a slalom board, works better with a smaller sail, and IMHO is more fun.

The Skate has a slalom rocker and rails, and therefore planes up as early as a similar-sized slalom board. It's perfectly matched for 6.0-7.0 winds even at choppy spots like Kalmus, which is well-known for voodoo chop. But in 6.0-7.0 conditions, the chop is generally small enough so that the liveliness of the board is a big plus.

I don't do new school freestyle, so I usually put a big fin in to get planing earlier. My current favorite is a Maui Ultra Fins Slalom Weed 30. I was planing early before on a TD Reaper 32 (Andy Brandt once called me the "always planing Peter"), but the MUF fin gets me going even earlier, goes upwind better, and is almost impossible to spin out. My straps are center-mounted, but when freeriding or going for speed, my backfoot is almost out of the strap, folded around the rail like on a slalom board. Works just fine in lighter winds.

The Skate 110 was definitely one of the best board purchases I have ever made. That said, if I had to replace it, I would test it against a Tabou 3S 116, since the 3S 96 I have (also) is an amazingly versatile board.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I understand what you are talking about as to the usage of freestyle boards. So, know, I just need to locate a good Skate 109 or 110 in good condition for not too many bucks!![/quote]

Dennis..... I don't think you have anymore room in your van?!?[/b]
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking,
I need a bigger van. Unfortunately, I can only fit about 1/4 or a 1/3 of all my boards in it at one time! LOL

(or, I could rid of some boards - but who wants to do that?)
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Dennis, that is a great question. I'd also like to hear more about the differences between the re-released skate and the new one. I'm also thinking about getting a freestyle board (again) for freesailing in SF bay.

Here is my mistake from a few years back with the starboard flare 88l.... I bought the board to freesail and learn freestyle. As someone used to smaller wave boards I thought that I could downsize the freestyle board so it would do double duty as a bump and jump / freestyle board. At 88l (165lbs) it was actually a really good bump and jump board - super fun for jumping, amazingly quick to plane, very fast, lively, and good turns. It was in summary an amazing lightwind freesailer. It was however a bit too small for me to progress much with the freestyle. So, after an injury I gave up on the freestyle and sold the board.

I kind of wish I had gotten the right size board to start on. Now that I'm all healed I'm thinking of getting back into trying freestyle. Def got my eye on the fanatics.

You should try out my 99 some time. The 2010 Flare you bought is 60cm wide. This is actually a good width for a higher wind freestyle board or for an advanced freestyle rider of your size. I really like those 60cm wide freestyle boards, as they're really good for powered up sailing at places like TI and Crissy... and they also work great at places like Berkeley where there's a lot of chop... need a narrower, faster board to make sense of it all. The bigger, wider boards are better suited to flatter water and/or less advanced freestylers... the extra width and volume give you a lot of stability in the sliding moves. Despite only weight about 170lbs (back then... about 180 now), I learned a lot of stuff on a Skate 107 and 108. The extra stability can help you get that extra 180 degrees of rotation when you're sliding. The bigger boards are a little more difficult to pop and get around for things like vulcans, grubbies, flakas, spocks, etc...

As far as the Skate 100 (2010-11 shape now offered in '12/'13 as classic) vs the 2012-13 Skate 99 shape, the newer board is shorter, lower nose, harder rails... the new board is less "all around"... still works well for classic freestyle... doesn't jibe quite as easily and the harder rails while good for speed, acceleration, and pop are a little less forgiving than the older shape. That said, people around here seem to be learning stuff on them just fine, and the newer shape has unbelievable pop.

Board size is really a personal preference. At 165lbs, you really could go with a 60.5 89l Skate or a 64.5 99l Skate... or find something in between... however if you really want to commit to learning freestyle, sail w/ us at Candlestick and Haskins.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, Thanks for the detailed report on the skates and the offer to try your 99. I'd def like to try that board. I'll pm you.
rexi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 99L freestyle board (jp 2010) and use it both for blasting around and some freestyle. My biggest sail is 5.5 and it gets me on plane in pretty light winds, itīs not the best in chop but not the worst. Itīs fun to ride, gets me in waves when the wind is really light, fun for blasting around and I landed my first vulcans after a few sessions on it after trying for ages on a waveboard. Best investment iīve made in terms of windsurfing gear.
sergem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

Agree with John and Michael. Personal perspective:

I am 196#, I have 110 Skate.
It can do _everything_ perfectly, except:
1. I can't bank it for tight swell turns (no rocker, fat tail rails, nose catch, dismount) I have wave board for that.
2. Downwind (broad reach OP) over small chop it is not comfortable

I can even race people on it, when I engage downwind rail. Funny how some folks try to turn downwind to outrun it, when it becomes no contest.

I can uphaul it easily and use one sail size less.

As a friend said "You can pry it from my cold dead hands"
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
I can't bank it for tight swell turns

On my 109 (JP) in waves I've got to put my back foot on downwind rail like a jibe to make those turns...can't do it in the straps like on a wave board. But it (mine) will make that turn. Bought the 99 in hopes of staying in the straps!

sav1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Fanatic Skate Reply with quote

I have owned the 2010 and 2011 Fanatic Skates as an 'old school' sailor who is getting into freestyle moves. I ended up breaking both boards the same season looping. Having said that I purchased a 2012 TE Skate hoping that the new layup will reduce the breakage probability.

The biggest difference with these boards is that you sail them with front foot and occasionally mast pressure. They have a tendency to spin out when raked out over the rail or carving on a wave unless you balance them. They are suited for a purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: