myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
freestyle board for freesailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fanatic Skate Reply with quote

sav1 wrote:
They are suited for a purpose.

Just as with most boards. Buying a board designed for a different application makes little sense. An Indy car is a fantastic machine, but makes a lousy urban commuter, soccer mom, or rally car.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, formula 1 cars, Le Mans prototypes, rally cars, these are all fantastic machines (each with their own purpose), Indycars not so much.

but, that's a whole different discussion for a different venue.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sav1 wrote:
I have owned the 2010 and 2011 Fanatic Skates ... They have a tendency to spin out when raked out over the rail or carving on a wave

Never underestimate the difference a fin can make. I never liked my Skate 110 much for playing in waves. I thought it did not turn well, and spun out with too much pressure. Then I put a Naia 21 cm weed fin in, and the board showed a very different character - it suddenly turned down little waves in ways I had thought impossible.

Most days, though, I use the Skate to freeride it in light winds, where getting on a plane is an issue. Then I put in a high quality 30 cm MUF slalom weed fin, which gets me going a lot earlier than the standard 24 cm fin (and every other fin I've put into the board). With this fin, spinouts are almost impossible - I have to land badly after a chop hop, with full pressure on the back foot, to get a spinout.

Investing in a few good fins can dramatically increase the fun you can have with one board.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fanatic Skate Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
sav1 wrote:

Just as with most boards. Buying a board designed for a different application makes little sense. An Indy car is a fantastic machine, but makes a lousy urban commuter, soccer mom, or rally car.

That comparison does not hold up for the topic of this thread. It is in fact dead wrong, as discussed by people who actually own and use the boards.

Anyone interested in this topic should read the earlier posts by those of us who sail freestyle boards for freesailing as well as for freestyle.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:

Never underestimate the difference a fin can make. I never liked my Skate 110 much for playing in waves. I thought it did not turn well, and spun out with too much pressure. Then I put a Naia 21 cm weed fin in, and the board showed a very different character - it suddenly turned down little waves in ways I had thought impossible.
(SNIP)
Investing in a few good fins can dramatically increase the fun you can have with one board.

Completely agree, particularly for freesailing the freestyle boards. I go from swept pointers to wave fins, and still use the freestyle fins for freestyling (and sailing in crazy shallows).

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fanatic Skate Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
isobars wrote:
sav1 wrote:

That comparison does not hold up for the topic of this thread. It is in fact dead wrong, as discussed by people who actually own and use the boards.

Then why did 5 other sailors and/or Skate owners, including you, agree with my highly relevant comments about using freestyle boards for B&J?

Youse guys are trying way too hard, and it looks foolish.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP wrote:
Fanatic re-released two older Skate shapes this year ... so, my question is: how many people use freestyle boards for just general sailing around with a minimum of freestyle moves thrown in?

isobars wrote:
These Skates might make fantastic BAF/freeride/small wave boards; I have no idea..
This is the part where the Skate owners agree with you (speaking as one of them).

Back to the original question - we got some answers:
johnl wrote:
Oh yeah, once upon a time I had the Skate 107 (my first freestyle board) and I LOVED it. It was replaced by the 110. I've heard nothing but good things about that board...
PeconicPuffin wrote:
I use freestyle boards (the JP 109 and the Skate 99) as all around boards
DriverA wrote:
I recently got the '13 99 skate TE. I am a newer sailor (3 years), 6'2" and 215 lbs. I absolutely love this board! ... The Skate does quite well in chop
kevinkan wrote:
To the OP, there are a lot of people who prefer freestyle boards for general, all-around sailing. In my experience, this number goes up the lighter the wind and the flatter the water.
mgrolnick wrote:
One of my best friends pulled the trigger on a 2012 skate 110 TE as his all round light wind board. He is extremely happy
rexi wrote:
I have a 99L freestyle board (jp 2010) and use it both for blasting around and some freestyle.
sergem wrote:
It can do _everything_ perfectly, except: ...
"You can pry it from my cold dead hands"

We seem to have a sufficient number of responses to the original question, so let the Mike vs. Michael pissing contest continue Smile. Does Michael stand a chance against Mike? We all know who can write the longer posts! Sure enough, it was Mike who responded first to Dennis' challenge "Let the mayhem begin!".

isobars wrote:
A purely anecdotal but apparently valid example is a dedicated freestyle bud who tried for years to unload his Goya freestyle board

Can't leave one anecdote stand alone: I know several local sailors who have been looking for used Skates for a while. When one came on the market, it was snapped up very quickly, and the other guy was quite unhappy about not getting it. He was lucky enough to get an even better deal shortly thereafter. Other used Skates that came on the market in the last couple of years also have been snapped at very quickly, and at decent prices, even if the boards had been heavily used.

Used JP freestyle boards, which I and others think are decent, but not quite as good as Skates, also seem to be in high demand, judging by how fast the boards from Brazil sold that came onto the market earlier this year. Other brands may be a harder sell; at least one brand that makes great FSW boards has FS boards that very few sailors like. As Kevin points out, the year matters, too - even the Skates had gotten a bit more specialized before Fanatic listened to what the market was saying, and brought back the 100 and 110.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Burns just wrote a nice review of 7 current 100 l freestyle boards. His freestyle is at a level that few non-pros reach, but he also discusses issues relevant for "normal" windsurfers like early planing, speed, how the boards carve, and how they behave in chop. Not surprisingly, there are big differences between the boards. The Fanatic Skate 99 and 100 get high marks in all categories, but a couple of other boards also did well.
surfersbeach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

A Goya X1 115 2009 with 6 & 6.8 sails was the best I could find for my size in the waves & winds I ride. That was prior to finding the kona exocet longboards.

I still use the X1 in no wave days and windy (summer) as my dedicated shortboard.

2010 3 21 @ Surfers Beach 314.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.94 KB
 Viewed:  17056 Time(s)

2010 3 21 @ Surfers Beach 314.JPG

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are so many mid to large free ride boards that may be better for so many app's. cross 114 is way smoother than any FS board in chop, and excels in waves. friend of mine that sails in boynton swears by his excite 125 (ish) for farting around in less than stellar surf. just think the FS board for most is not the best. they ride rough, top out in speed, but quite a few smash real easy. not much upside IMHO.

i still prefer the term free ride vs FSW. to me, FSW is an oxymoron. FS boards are chopped down slalom boards. picture a slalom board with a few inches chopped off its tail. then move the mast foot back some, and foot straps up. what do you get? a poppy, early planer that tops out, rides rough and smashes easy. now try to blend all that onto a Wave board? but, the term certainly sounds sexy at first glance. FSW is marketing bling speak. free ride sounds so boring by compare?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: