myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Soft Racks for Windsurfing Longboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giuantramontana@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Soft Racks for Windsurfing Longboard Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with soft racks with longboards?

I have a Yakima rack on my van, but I would need a portable rack for a rental car on a trip around Europe. I have seen many soft racks (including the Malone inflatable ones and the FCS Premium Soft Racks), which are popular with surfers, but I would like to hear from windsurfers. I plan to carry a single longboard 12'6", 35 lbs.

P.S. For safety, I plan to wrap around the board a second set of Dakine tied down straps.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best soft racks I've used was when I rented gear from Maui Windsurfing Company. Not sure of the brand but they were significantly better than the FCS or Malone racks. Not as compact though.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHICH softrack matters little, except it needs to fit.
The SPREAD, between front and back, needs to be wide, with the front rack somewhat near the leading edge of the board. 3' usually is fine.
Don't drive over 65 with softracks, mph.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you considered just using two towels rolled up with 2 sets of long tie down straps?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. Since I rented a compact wagon (GM/Opel/Vauxhal Astra), I should be able to have the two soft racks at almost 3ft distance.
However, I don't see how to meet the following requirement with a 12'6" board: "with the front rack somewhat near the leading edge of the board."
I expect to have 5 ft in front of the front rack and 4 ft on the back. I plan to have the boad (Mistral Equipe II) with the deck up and the bow in the back (as I transport it on my van). Any other insight is welcome.

Right now I decided to pass on the Malone inflatable (I dont want to risk they dont work when I get there), and leaning between FCS Single and Block Surf Rap Rax (they look similar) or the FCS Premium Single with the D Ring connection. Does anyone know if the D Ring works better than traditional strap?

Thank you
Giovanni
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36" spread is no good even with 8' boards.
5' or 60 inches in front of the front strap, you gotta drive 35 mph maximum.
Try tieing down the boards by their forward point to the front bumper, like kayaker's do.
My Honda CIVIC gives me a 43" spread between straps.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Zirt said, and put the board belly up and nose forward, so you get at least SOME aerodynamic downforce. But 5 feet of cantilevered board sticking out into the windstream flowing up the windshield? Not me. Too much risk to the hull and anyone else in the vicinity, IMO, unless you plan on touring Europe at city speeds.

Buy a kite. Makes everything much simpler.
ABKTomL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my Equipe II all the time (hard rack on Honda Element
) and prefer to carry it bottom down and tail forward:
- bottom down prevents the sharp Equipe rails from getting damaged by tight straps
- nose first gives some aerodynamics - may not be as good as nose forward board upside down but the last thing I want to do is damage the sharp rails.
- I always have more overhang in the back as I don't want the nose too far forward and get lifted by wind deflected up from hood and windshield.
Have driven many miles, on freeways at 70 mph (HARD RACK) without a problem.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always carry my stuff with a hard rack. I, and others, have carried up to 2 white water canoes on long distances without ever any problems. At highway speeds, aerodynamics are not good...

One tip is to have 2 tighning systems. You can start with the tip and the back of the object. It is sometimes hard to adjust but you will find a way to hold the thing down without having it move forward from the pull of the back rope. You can then tighten the middle straps that connect to the rack and it will be super solid.

When I carry my longboards, I position them as advised in my 86 Sailboard Vario manual, nose forward and down. On a hard rack, I don't tie down the tips but I would with a softrack. In that case, a transportation bag would help, not to tie the ropes to, but to prevent them from gliding off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all comments received.

Since a kite is not an option (I am going to a trip to Europe to be concluded with participation at the Worlds Raceboard) and a hard rack is not available (rental companies don't want to provide it), I will need to go with a soft rack.

I will follow all advices received, including increasing the distance between racks (as possible with a compact wagon that I rented), reduce front overhang, and use front (and possibly back) tie downs. I normally travel with the tail front, and fin down on hard rack at highway speeds with no problems. In this case, this configuration would provide the advantage of using the back straps as hanging points. Therefore, I will use the following configuration: tail front, fin down, so I can have the front tiedown strap going through the back straps.
Anyway, I am ordering a soft rack, will test here in USA before leaving, and post an update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: