myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DO NOT LAND FLAT or straight legged. ACL at risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ben. Encouragement, especially from those who have been there, will help me accept the necessity of >8 hours of rehab every day. It amazes me that two weeks past surgery I'm still trying with very limited success to relearn how to walk across the room. And my docs and PTs say I'm way ahead of most of their ACL patients, mostly athletes, 50 years younger than I.

Guys, think about this crap when you're out there with your No Fear buds and attitude, throwing your toys into the air upside down without a care in the world. It WILL bite you in the ass, maybe permanently, some day.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done myself some knee damage myself and doc told me that I was apparently born without the normal amount of cartilege for cushioning in there. I told him great, but I'm not gonna stop windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
I've had some pretty extensive arguments with some pretty good high wind sailors about landing flat, or slightly nose first (preferred).
While a slight nose first landing can be really clean and neat, it begs the slight variance of landing flat.
I argued against this idea, saying I can plane out of all my good jumps off windswells without landing nose first, and in fact, landing tail first, but not at a step angle. Landing angles controlled by the sailor sheeting in or out.
While I lost the argument vs the best sailors in MarinCounter back in the mid '90's, I still adamantly recommend landing tail firts.
Flat landings have contributed to over 5 broken in half boards under my feet before the mid '90's.
And one of my buds, a Tomales sailor using Seatrends, broke well over 12 boards in half from flat landings.
benspikey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars you will get better.. This is a set back not a game ender.. I was amazed how fast after my surgery I began making progress. At times it seems like you will never be better I know..

Worst part is after initial injury. I tried to make coffee the next morning and passed out. Woke up on the kitchen floor, lucky I didn't hurt myself again. Smile You will have to adjust your expectations. Small tasks become impossible but i promise this will pass.

When you do have surgery get nerve block didn't feel a thing.. Much easier than injury pain/recovery. I considered not having operation but am so glad I got my problem fixed.

For some motivation.. Today I mountain biked in the morning and windsurfer in the afternoon. No longer aware of any pain or issues. Just careful not to risk injury again. Knee no longer gives out or feels loose. Just pops and snaps.

Once you can stationary bike that is great feeling. Make sure to get your leg straight. Bike bike bike

Also I had sciatica issue after and attribute this to changes in my gait. Yoga class Stretch stretch stretch..

Bike, stretch and rest.. You will windsurf again Smile. Everyday of rehab is a day closer to being back on the water. That first day back will be bliss.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you work through it Iso. I concur with Ben on yoga. After rehab on my ankle for atfl and cfl replacement I found that all the rehab work on the repaired side made it strongly dominant over the good side. Yoga was excellent for rehabbing from the rehab to get left right symmetry / balance back in my bod.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Flat landings have contributed to over 5 broken in half boards under my feet before the mid '90's.
And one of my buds, a Tomales sailor using Seatrends, broke well over 12 boards in half from flat landings.

Once again, my landing was not flat. It was properly and deliberately tail first, but because I extended my back leg at least 15 feet too soon, it was straight when the tail met the water. That's all it took.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benspikey wrote:
Isobars you will get better.. This is a set back not a game ender.

Worst part is after initial injury.

When you do have surgery get nerve block didn't feel a thing.. Much easier than injury pain/recovery.

I considered not having operation but am so glad I got my problem fixed.

Just careful not to risk injury again.

Once you can stationary bike that is great feeling.

That first day back will be bliss.

Yes; I'm looking forward to it. I'm back on the seated elliptical I bought for this purpose (and because it is a FANTASTIC interval training
platform), and will be ripping off one-legged Tabatas soon. My first, second, and third priorities are avoiding re-injury; they can and will fix ACLs only so many times.

In my case, I had no pain after the injury unless I bumped my foot while walking. I was bearing full weight pain-free on the injured leg the day after the injury. And after the surgery, very little pain penetrated the 50-60% oxycodone overdose. Pain hadn't been an issue; the problem is that the dang leg feels like someone else's. The PT says it takes weeks to months to retrain the neuroexcitation network.

I have no reason to expect anything less than full recovery by the time the 2014 season ends. The primary permanent constraint they fully expect is just an increase in one I already have plus a 10% decrease in hamstring strength due to harvesting the donor ligaments from it, so it may just be a matter of degree ... plus no more personal best jumps.

Realize, folks, that I'm not typing this for my own benefit. I'm trying to encourage others to engage their brains better than I did before I did this to myself.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy You should have known better...
But, nobody's perfect, human's make mistakes, and I hope you heal strong and ready by June next year...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used your own ligament at your age? Wow, that doubles the recovery time. My wife used a donor ACL and was back playing tennis in 7 months. OK, she'll never be a pro, and I wouldn't suggest one for a high school athlete. But at least you'll be like new.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
You used your own ligament at your age? Wow, that doubles the recovery time.

Not really. That fallacy, along with MANY other donor site selection criteria, is discussed in depth at http://www.orthoassociates.com/SP11B35/. The allograft (cadaver) approach has many disadvantages including the false and risky impression of faster healing, quicker onset of arthritis, risk of infection, substandard strength for highly active patients (my surgeon's assistant gave him persuasive arguments for the much stronger hamstring choice based on her personal long-term familiarity with my activity level), and much more. If my surgeon had recommended an allograft, he'd have had a very tough sell once I finished doing my homework.

BTW, the doc said pre-op that I'd be back on the water by spring. However, he defers to my PT, who sez 2015. The race is on, with my PT being the referee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: