myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do they still make "bump & jump" boards ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, was away on vacation.

re: sailing Wells - I have sailed there a couple of times there this year because it is much easier to park there and the wind is better than down by the Event Site or Luehr Jensen. Of course, you do have to cross the wind shadow created by the island. But wow, the chop has been really gnarly, especially towards the eastern end (near the WS bridge). I don't remember it being that bad in previous years. As mentioned, could be the new sandbar. Last time I went, I worked my way upwind towards the western end of the island and it was better. It's also nice that you can stop and rest on the island or blow a gybe and touch bottom.

re: boards - I see a lot of wave boards at the windier spots (Hatchery, Doug's, etc.). It surprises me a little since my observation is that most of us are lawn mowers and only a handful actually surf the waves. I have tried a couple of wave boards and I am not a big fan. I find the extra rocker makes them plane up slower and not handle the lulls as well.

I browsed some of the boards recommended on-line. They sound great but $1,200 - $1,800 for a new board is a good chunk of change. I'll keep my eye open at Windance, 2nd Wind, and the swaps for something more in my price range. It's not pressing though.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern wave boards are much flatter in rocker than the old ones, and also much wider, so work well as mid to high wind boards in bump n jump applications. Nice turning is the biggest plus.
My favorite boards for bump n jump in my flatter water site, Berkeley, is a fast freeride board. Upwind angles, decent speed, equals big jumps, if the windswell is cooperating.
At the Columbia, you often encounter higher winds, so a small slalom board, ala DaleCook, can make for some nice jumps.
Unfortunately, nice jumps soon equate to broken body parts, so high jumps are still fun, but the intermediate height jumps are to be avoided, as are low level jumpsl.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
re: boards - I see a lot of wave boards at the windier spots (Hatchery, Doug's, etc.). It surprises me a little since my observation is that most of us are lawn mowers and only a handful actually surf the waves. I have tried a couple of wave boards and I am not a big fan. I find the extra rocker makes them plane up slower and not handle the lulls as well..

Fully agree, but both of those shortcomings are usually solvable simply by rigging. Similarly, for surfing Gorge swell in the usual mode like Craig does, I agree the wider modern boards are better because they glide better. I like the (traditionally shaped) wave boards for their superior combination of ride comfort, speed, and maneuverability at speed, a rarer combination at any price, let alone a couple of hundred bucks. That helps explain why wave boards of any age are popular in rough water whether mowing the chop down or slicing it up: chop management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: