myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lawnmowers Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat entertained by all this (but what about the dog poop at the hatch?) since it seems to come up all the time. There are a lot of people out there all "doing their thing". So I really wouldn't expect "my thing" to be more important than "their thing". There are a lot of people who have been told and believe they have to sail the hatch to enjoy the Gorge. Many don't even have the skills yet to be there. One of the reasons I don't sail there during the main part of summer (that and the fact I hate getting there early just to park).

But really its a lot easier to be aware of what is going on around you and just smile at each other. Or as others have mentioned just go a little up or down wind since BAF sailors then to stay inline with their launch..
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
One of the reasons I don't sail [the Hatchery] during the main part of summer (that and the fact I hate getting there early just to park)..

Dawn patrol wind is so rare now that I don't mind admitting that arriving before dawn used to pay off BIG time, in many ways beyond just parking. Another era down the tubes, apparently.
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
johnl wrote:
One of the reasons I don't sail [the Hatchery] during the main part of summer (that and the fact I hate getting there early just to park)..

Dawn patrol wind is so rare now that I don't mind admitting that arriving before dawn used to pay off BIG time, in many ways beyond just parking. Another era down the tubes, apparently.

I was out in the corridor just after 7am on Thursday the 4th. It felt kinda like a dawn patrol, but back in the day that would been a late arrival.
garyagingrich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this makes me laugh. Swell riders absolutely ruin most jumping ramps. Not only are you not apologetic, but you're mad that someone messes you up? Get a grip buddy. Because you're ruining more days than you're getting ruined.

It's not a wave. Starboard has right of way. End of story. I better not see one swell rider call someone a kook either.

And since you ask for people to not ruin your day, how about you take a look across the water a bit and see if someone's lining up to jump off the ramp you're about to murder? Maybe take a second to check whether you're the one getting the day ruined, or whether you're actually the problem.

Trust me, you annoy me far more than those "lawnmowers" annoy you! And I'm only writing something to give you rippers a reality check.

Mitch
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever your style, it's helpful if we respect each others space on the water.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about us guys who jump one, then ride one?
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
What about us guys who jump one, then ride one?

I guess you just ruin your own day.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyagingrich wrote:
It's not a wave. Starboard has right of way. End of story. I better not see one swell rider call someone a kook either.

And since you ask for people to not ruin your day, how about you take a look across the water a bit and see if someone's lining up to jump off the ramp you're about to murder?

Actually, is IS a wave, according to oceanography textbooks and dictionaries.

"Lining up"? How about "first come, first serve"? Just how far out does "lining up" give one ownership of a wave, swell, parking spot, or Christmas tree?

As the man said, waves are self-healing.

Wave/swell riders can't ride either on lawns. Lawn mowers not only don't need swell, but many of them hate swell, preferring lawns. So why interfere with people who can't do their thing on lawns? Mowers who bomb swell just because they have a legal right to do so, and don't care that they're in the way of folks who can't sail flat water, are kooks.

If lawn mowers, on either tack, have a right to blaze very close to someone riding or jumping swell, it seems only fair and balanced that the guys using the swell have a right to carve or jump very close to the lawn mowers. The mowers who blast across swell riders' nose or tail have no right to whine when the shoe's on the other foot.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyagingrich wrote:

Mitch

This has been discussed ad nauseum here but what the hell, I will take another swipe at it. Right of way rules were developed for racing, where it is all about gaining upwind advantage on your opponent. A blanket rule of "starboard has ROW" for wind surfing some place like the Hatch on a summer day is almost ludicrous. Everyone's most important priority is avoiding a collision. Easiest way to do that is to keep as much space between you and other sailors as possible. Personally I don't care who has theoretical ROW, I give it to everyone regardless of whether I am on port or starboard. Why push it? There is always another ramp, another wave face, or more lawn. I can always gain upwind on another reach and really don't need to invoke any starboard ROW rule anyway. That's my view on this.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'll weigh in. ROW (starboard, leward, etc) are NOT racing laws but laws of navigable waters. Not just some inconvenient "rule". If you ever end up in court, you will find this out. Do some research. Like that barge that comes down the river. He/She has ROW over EVERYBODY because it is a commercial vessel in a restricted waterway. Seriously check the laws before assuming stuff. And these laws apply to ALL of us because we are out on the navigable waters....

Surfing "rules" are not nothing more than procedures agreed upon by surfers so that they don't have fights. They have NO legal claim what so ever.

And once again, swell on a river is not a wave. Geeze I can't believe we are arguing this again. And even if it was "a wave" which do you think takes precedence. A legal law that governs ALL navigable waters, or a "surfing rule"....

Really.....

Oh yeah (after edit), the most important part is just getting along out there and looking out for each other....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: