myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Sail Recommendation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe look for an Ezzy Zephyr. It's a 7.5 that rigs on a 460 mast, but you'll need a set of large booms. Ezzy says it has the power of an 8.5. No cams, easy to rig lots of power, huge wind range.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me/us out a little

WHAT is this mast ?

***********And finally, my mast is 460cm and imcs is 25. Average diameter is 41mm. Looks like the model is a CK95 PRO Racing.**********

without any insight into the mast bend curve a specific sail is like like saying you have 16" wheels on my vehicle , what tires do I purchase.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
lunchbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....this is great information. Thank you all for taking the time to post your comments. I don't think I quite understood how much goes into finding a good sail for your conditions and matching it to your existing equipment.

@u2u2u2 - Sorry for the lack of information. I'm still learning all the technical terms and how the type of mast matches up to the type of sail.

Here's some more information that I got from the mast -

Weight: 1.80KG
Boom Area Reinforecment: 70-155CM
Carbon/Kevlar Content: 95%
Curve: Constant Flex
Stiffness: IMCS: 25
Centre of Gravity: 43%

Thanks again everyone!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mast is labeled a constant curve:
http://www.unifiber.net/2013/mast-selector

the middle //yellow section is CC

those sails and others not listed that are CC will suit your mast to high degree, the other curves, flex or stiff top will work in the sail, but you will give up some range, either high or lo wind or both

there are many sails that will do you well. Ezzy freerides, and the Retro by Sailworks. Don't know the model by Aerotech are just 3 possibilities.

the Gaastra you mention will work much better on a stiff top sail, errr mast .

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP says wind top speed is averaging 15 MPH, that's 13 knots which is the bare minimum for planing especially at 210 lbs.
Perhaps a kite is a better option in those conditions.
He will be very frustrated as he gets more proficient and starts to chase the planing threshold.
Are there other people windsurfing at your location?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP says:

******** the average wind speeds are 5-15mph and very gusty...long lulls as well. Usually windspeed is about 5-7mph. I can't jibe and I'm not in the straps yet but can tack back and forth and stay upwind. *********

Well we don't know here he is, if Colorado , then ::a AVERAGE lake is a mile high, and one I go is 11,111 FEET, Ruedi near Aspen, 15mph
on just about anything won't be such a treat.

Without adding to further expense, but I will happy spend your $$,

you want the largest sail that will fit your mast and be an acceptable performer.

beagle : kites ..? wrong forum, wrong lifetime

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just not enough wind. If there aren't a bunch of other windsurfers that may be telling you something.
Is there another spot on the lake that is windier?
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Agoura Hills which is a suburb of Los Angeles. The lake that I have been windsurfing is Castaic Lake just north of Magic Mountain (Valencia). I've only been there three times and 2 of those 3 times, I've been other windsurfers...granted they were beginners like me. I was told that no one windsurfs there because of the light and gusty winds but it's a safe place to learn and the water is so warm!!!

@beaglebuggy - I actually do kitesurf. Kites are not allowed there and none of my kites would even stay in the air in the lulls. I also surf and started windsurfing just to mix things up. I actually don't care about planning right now. I just want to cruise around and maybe get my kids to give it a try. When I get better, I can either go to Mothers beach or in the ocean which is only a 20 min drive from my house.

Sounds like the mast I have will work and the Ezzy and Retro are good sails. Probably get something in the 7.5m range. I think I might need a bigger boon however. Mine's aluminum and pretty heavy anyway.

Anyone care to recommend a decent boom that will work with my mast and one of those 7.5m sails without breaking the bank?

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only going to use it a few times a year and you don't want to spend a lot of money AND the lake has insufficient wind to plane or get into footstraps THEN it only makes sense to get a sail that will fit your current mast and boom.
Tell us how many CM your boom goes to and we will tell you what will work.
A larger sail isn't going to do too much for you because you will still be schlogging. It'll just be harder to uphaul and heavier to hold.
All this talk about 9M sails is about trying to get you planing.
With a giant sail you will need a new mast and boom and large aluminum booms are heavy and too flexible, you would need a carbon boom which could cost over $800, the whole rig could cost over $2K new. Used rigs that size are rather uncommon.
As you progress you can choose to sail with bigger sails or higher winds, it's best to try sailing in higher winds as large gear isn't as fun to use. Trying to chase the planing threshold with bigger and more expensive gear will be frustrating.
There is plenty of smaller used gear available to use in higher winds.
At 210 lbs windsurfing will be more of a challenge than for someone who weighs 150 lbs because your gear will need to be so much bigger, when you add lack of wind to the equation it won't be a lot of fun.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to stray from the herd here. The Retro is a fine sail, but IMO it's not a good choice for light wind, sub-planing conditions. With 7 battens, especially that low foot batten, it will be the most mast-sensitive sail mentioned so far, and you want battens that will rotate easily in low to no wind. I think their Hucker 6.6, which has as much power as the Retro 7.0, would be a better choice for you. But hey, call the real experts, the guys at Sailworks. Tell them what you told us and see what they have to say. (This goes for all the lofts. Ask before you buy.)

The aforementioned Superfreak would be a great choice, except with your mast you are pretty much limited to the 7.0, unless you use a really long extension. And these are not terribly powerful sails. Still, since you aren't planing anyway, it has a lot going for it. Another HSM offering is the Liquid 7.0 or 7.5 (I'd go big.) Lots of power and not particularly mast-sensitive. Again, call them.
http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/2011-2012/sail.php?uid=9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: