myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Sail Recommendation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making the stop in Hood River, you should also stop by the Sailworks loft. They just might have some used sails to consider. Also, they do excellent sail repair there, and they work on all the different brands. I have been getting my sails repaired there for a number of years.
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox, here is a 7.0 Hot Sails Superfreak with MAST for $300 for the sail and $250 for the Ezzy 460 mast. See: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/spo/3892726547.html

Note: this post has been corrected to reflect prices shown in the Craigslist ad as pointed out by swchandler below. Thanks for "heads up".

Last edited by thombiz on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thombiz,

I'm reading things a bit differently. It's my understanding that the sail ($300) and the mast ($250) are two different items. As I see it, the parenthetical comment about the mast was provided to indicate that the two items work together.
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch sw! I'm not sure if I misread the ad or if the poster mis-wrote it the first time and corrected it. Either way, it is correct now and that's what counts! Thanks for the heads up! Sorry Lunchbox, it was not my intention to mislead you. Embarassed
thombiz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunchbox, I ran across an 8.0 Superfreak for $200 that might work for you. See: https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/spo/4000093164.html
lunchbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...Thanks Thombiz. I sent an email to the person so hopefully they'll respond back.

I've also put my name on the list for a 2013 Naish Rally 7.1...it's coming off a demo fleet up in Hood River and I was told it has only been used a few times. I'm getting a pretty good price and the guy at the shop recommended that sail for a beginner such as myself. I was also thinking into a used Sailworks Retro 7.5 but he thought the Rally was a better sail for me.

I would like to hear from anyone who has rode that sail and any pros and cons.

Thanks again for all the information in your PM!
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go, not sure if this has been posted yet.

Thank me later.

http://www.windance.com/Ezzy-2012-Zephyr-7.5-WSSL3828/
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lunchbox!

Did you ever say what kind of sail your 6.4 is? I don't see it.

Some camber induced sails can be a bear to rig if you don't follow steps in the required order. If you follow the rigging procedure, it could get rid of most of your rigging difficulties. And believe me, you wouldn't be the first one to complain about a cam sail being difficult, only to find out later that you just need to follow a particular order of doing things.

Is there a rigging guide in the sail bag? Can you find a guide for you 6.4 online? Are there buckles at the end of your battens to tighten them, or would you use a screwdriver?

One of the most important things to know about your sail is whether you should be threading the mast into the sleeve with the cams on, or whether you should pop the cams on later. Which do you do?

A different sail may save you a little weight, but not enough to affect you carrying your rig. We make our rigs feel almost weightless by aligning the rig to the wind,
lunchbox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brian.bigfella - Sent you a pm. Thanks for the link!

@konajoe - the sail is a Neil Pryde VX3 6.3. The sail did not come with a rigging guide as I bought it from my neighbor and I can only imagine the last time he used it. And to be honest, I did not search for the guide online.

This is going to sound silly, I didn't know there was a way to loosen or tighten the battens. I'll have to look at the sail tomorrow and check it out.

When I first put the mast on the sail, I tried to feed the mast into the cams. That seemed to work for the first few cams but then they popped out as I feed the mast in further. So, after watching a video showing the process, I now try to feed the mast in as many cams as possible. After the mast is fully inserted, I then outhaul the sail and while holding the mast, gently push each cam down. That seems to work pretty well.

Please let me know if there's a better way as I would love to hear it. Also I'm not too crazy about this sail, because the cams don't appear to move that easily. For example, on my return tack, the sail stays stuck in the original position...I have to push in the sail pretty hard for each tack...guess it could be the extreme light wind as well.

Can you tell me the best way to carry the sail...my back would really appreciate it Wink
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Hey Lunchbox!

Did you ever say what kind of sail your 6.4 is? I don't see it.

Some camber induced sails can be a bear to rig if you don't follow steps in the required order. If you follow the rigging procedure, it could get rid of most of your rigging difficulties. And believe me, you wouldn't be the first one to complain about a cam sail being difficult, only to find out later that you just need to follow a particular order of doing things.

Is there a rigging guide in the sail bag? Can you find a guide for you 6.4 online? Are there buckles at the end of your battens to tighten them, or would you use a screwdriver?

One of the most important things to know about your sail is whether you should be threading the mast into the sleeve with the cams on, or whether you should pop the cams on later. Which do you do?

A different sail may save you a little weight, but not enough to affect you carrying your rig. We make our rigs feel almost weightless by aligning the rig to the wind,

The sail is so old just remove the cams, he's sailing way underpowered so what does it matter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: