myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board advice needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vextn- I'm with dhmark on this.

Because you're going to be sailing mostly in non-planing conditions, and because you'll be sharing the board with beginners, I would recommend a true longboard with 200+ liters volume.

As far as longboards go, I'm a big fan of the windsup 11'8" (which I own) and the kona one (which I used to own), but any < 10 year old board with 200+ liters and a daggerboard ought to do the trick.

As others have noted, if you want to get planing in less than 20 knots, you will need a sail larger than 6.0. Of course, with a longboard you don't necessarily need to be planing to have fun, so the 6.0 should be fine for now.

vextn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, guys! Now if I could only figure out where to buy a used longboard without breaking a bank... I hardly ever see them in my local craigslist.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad, and I'm guessing it's misleading, as older longboards -- some of which are still great boards for your purpose -- are gathering dust in thousands of garages across the country. Many of their owners would jump at a $100 bill just for the opportunity to get it out of their way.

Mike \m/
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vextn wrote:
Thanks for your replies, guys! Now if I could only figure out where to buy a used longboard without breaking a bank... I hardly ever see them in my local craigslist.

I got mine from Gulfport Boardsports in Gulfport MS. He dropped shipped it directly to me from Sandy Point Progressive Sports in FL. They are the US distributor and have used Kona's that were chartered at various races. Not sure what you consider breaking the bank, but it is worth the money to get a like new modern board. Plan on spending around $1400.00 for a used charter.

http://www.gulfportboardsports.com/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
That's too bad, and I'm guessing it's misleading, as older longboards -- some of which are still great boards for your purpose -- are gathering dust in thousands of garages across the country. Many of their owners would jump at a $100 bill just for the opportunity to get it out of their way.

Mike \m/

That's what everyone says, but it can still be darn hard to find them. It took me 4 or 5 years and then a 15 hour round trip in my van to get my Megacat. I ended up finding it by posting a desperate plea on this forum. And yet, there are windsurfers in my area who get them for free from down the street.

so, yes, it can be hard to find old longboards. but, it is worth it to get one, they are very nice to have if your area goes into a doldrum.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of links you may want to check out.

http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_23_85

http://www.curtissportconnection.com/windsurfing_used_boards.htm

I have never done business with either.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Windpower, very knowledgeable and fair, I purchase most of my gear there.
joew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a MINT Mistral Equipe, carbon last generation with all accessories at the swap this summer. FIFTY BUCKS, sadly the guy was aging out due to several injuries.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vextn wrote:

Vextn,

First -- An excellent idea to buy your own equipment. This will open you up to so many more opportunities to sail and enjoy the sport ... even in DC (see next two points)

Since you indicated your are near DC, you might want to try some different sized boards at Gunpowder State Park. They have a windsurfing rental/lesson shop on the beach ... and toward the end of the summer I believe they sell off some of their equipment. Maybe they'd be open to a deal on a board you and your kids all like.

Once you have it ... Mason Neck is a pretty good, local site for consideration. It is good for wind with any westerly component, is relatively shallow, and has probably 300 degrees of shore to drift up to if you break down. You'd want a weed fin, and the other locations you've sailed are better ... But it is close to DC.

I agree with isobars ... Aside from free time, I think the two things allowing you to get more time on the water are: (1) your own equipment and (2) a wetsuit. The wetsuit allows DC sites to be sailed in the spring and fall ... And the fall can provide the best odds of wind.

Hope you are successful finding a board, and hope to see you on the water.
lucashurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windsurfbaba.org/ (Baltimore based club)

Also consider attending a BABA event. You'll get to meet nice people and they often have stuff for sale. They do groups trips to Hatteras and put on races where you'll see people on both long boards and formula boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: