myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board repair - place your bets on whether this will work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a similar fix a few weeks ago on my JP FSW 112. Word of advice, don't buy a used board from a NP Maui rental fleet. (yeah yeah duh)

Injected a ton of 8lb foam into the board. Put some heavy glass over the top. A thick coat of rattle can and some of the traction powder from the next isle over at Lowes. Traction feels almost like stock but better. Paint took a long time to dry. Could have feathered the glass better but otherwise I'm happy.

Next time I may go with 4lb foam. I had 2lb foam but I wanted something a bit harder. Glassing the holes with a piece of glass in them didn't work out as I thought it would. So I just filled them with resin and shredded glass and then laid the heavy sheet.

Board feels good. Can't do any huge jumps, so it will probably last me a few seasons. Already have a new RRD FSW 108 as a replacement but I'm going for bigger jumps on this one. Smile At least as big as I can since I don't care about damaging this board now. Getting better at fixing these things.

PS: Thanks boardlady!

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.75 KB
 Viewed:  19365 Time(s)

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.14 KB

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.36 KB

3.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another path for folks with access to good repair shops. One of my boards was delammed (a few 3"-wide blisters easily pressed down to a hard stop at the carbon layer) ranging from the front straps to forward of the mast track. The Gorge's premiere repair guru said one good jump could easily take out the mast track and may snap the board. He tried resin injection, it failed, he removed and rebuilt the entire area right. It's now rock (and jump) solid, and gained less than a pound. Total cost was about $220 + I covered the raw repair with waffle grid from NSI. No painting or nonskid necessary. The whole job took me maybe 15 hassle-free minutes and is stronger than new.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would set the board in the sun and put some Windex or soapy water around all the foot strap inserts to see if they are taking on water. They will bubble it they are cracked at the edge of the deck lamination.Injecting epoxy isn't the best idea either, since you can't control where it goes and the thermal heat can melt the styrofoam and then your right back to square one. Check out the Boardlady site she has a good picture of marine foam over epoxy use. Good luck. Mike

Last edited by Boardhead1 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board lady has an excellent discussion on this exact subject.

http://www.boardlady.com/injection.htm

KMF
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the repaired board out at the Hatchery today. Conditions were decidedly un-Gorge-like. I was out on a 5.7, planing most of the time, but not by much. The board performed fine, including one small jump.
The only difference is that now I am sensitive to every bump and bit of abuse the board gets. I am supposed to be enjoying the sailing, but I am thinking, "Ouch! That was a rough piece of chop!

I checked the repair area after about 2 hrs. Looks good. I'll post again after a few more sessions.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim! Ride it like you stole it! it's all repairable just a matter of how much work you want to put into it! They are made to ride so charge on! Have fun send some wind this way it's been glass calm for a while! Cheers!
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will! If the soft spot comes back I am already planning on stripping the board down and trying a more invasive surgical repair.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hobby, I hope, not an economic measure, considering swap meet prices.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
There's another path for folks with access to good repair shops. One of my boards was delammed (a few 3"-wide blisters easily pressed down to a hard stop at the carbon layer) ranging from the front straps to forward of the mast track. The Gorge's premiere repair guru said one good jump could easily take out the mast track and may snap the board. He tried resin injection, it failed, he removed and rebuilt the entire area right. It's now rock (and jump) solid, and gained less than a pound. Total cost was about $220 + I covered the raw repair with waffle grid from NSI. No painting or nonskid necessary. The whole job took me maybe 15 hassle-free minutes and is stronger than new.

I'm surprised you forked out the money for the fix when you said you had so many carefully hand picked boards not to mention the backups?? With a quiver like that, toss the broken one aside and grab another!

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board was unique by any measure. Otherwise, you got it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: