myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How is the wavesailing near San Diego? Considering a move
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like tampa. if you want a lot of time on the water learn to kite and go big. bigger, better and more consistent waves in sd, though.
sav1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. Surprised It seems appealing and windsurfing has that facet of chasing the wind unless you live in a stellar location. I think the mix of surfing, cycling, and potential for wavesailing nearby make it appealing.
gnatslapper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cycling can be more challenging compared to Tampa. The hills are larger than the overpasses in Tampa. Tourmaline usually has one day a year similar to the pic. The trick is being there that day. Baja, quite simply put, is awesome. You can not get any closer than SD.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

Try Punta Preta (Picture), Funny Bard! SoCal is NOT a Windsurfing anything. Jalama is the Exception, but is a hell of a drive from SD

Kiting maybe.

Besides anywhere in the world gets good once a year , even SoCal.

I think the picture reflects more the likely WS you would be doing.

I hope your are not moving there to windsurf....................

fernado-martinez-del-cerro-windsurfing1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.9 KB
 Viewed:  15726 Time(s)

fernado-martinez-del-cerro-windsurfing1.jpg

doctorx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sav1

To boil it down for you, do not move to San Diego for wave sailing, just visit there for a beer. Come up here to San Francisco, bro. We got what you need. Plus surfing, plus mountain biking, plus good food, less traffic, better looking women, more college grads, less fighting on the iwindsurf blog, cleaner air. And then there is the whole skiing thing.......
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF sounded fantastic to me until I spent an assignment there over a summer and decided it was just too frickin cold.
churan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know much about san diego other than it is not windy. Nw wind is blocked from jalama south by the land up wind. That said I am an expat floridian...do yourself a favor and give sd a chance. you can always move back. If you have passion for wave sailing you will get days. The best days you ever had. You will just have to travel.... That said at least you will have conditions. Psc is arguably the best west coast wave spot, even if you only go a few times a year its worth it. When spring hits u drive to jalama or even waddell, camp or hotel, catch a fri sat sun session. epic. With forecasting what it is now u can time a long period swell and reliable wind. Cant do that in tampa. Cant ski mammoth in tampa either. Good luck.
ps waves get BIG here. 10 to 20' in spring fall and winter so bring some cones.

daves big.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.44 KB
 Viewed:  15613 Time(s)

daves big.jpg

MrFish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed in both the Tampa area and San Diego, but only once or twice. I guess I got lucky in both places, as it was at least planable on biggish gear.

I'm not sure what you mean though by wave sailing in Tampa- there are no waves in Tampa. At all. Even in hurricanes, they're still pretty small, because the gulf is so shallow there -- in places you can be 12 miles out in 12 feet of water.

San Diego has plenty of waves, but not much wind.

I don't think they get the winter fronts that roll in like Tampa does either, so I think you're talking about going to a place with a lot less wind than Tampa. Unless you can drive down here to Mexico regularly that is.
sav1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued feedback. I relocated to Tampa recently having lived on the East coast of Florida. I've traveled regularly to wavesail ( Hawaii 12x, Hatteras, etc.) and understand it is an occasional sport. Given the other sports I do and a willingess to roadtrip it should be a fit.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be the only current SD resident to post on this topic. As everyone said, there's no wind here. We get occasional days at Tourmaline, but almost never anything below 5.8 or so and most guys sail 7.0s and 110l FSWs in the surf. Very few people go to Raul's anymore - getting back over the border is too much of a hassle, unless you have a SENTRI pass. High volume is your friend. I sail my SUP way more than anything else and it's pretty much the only thing I use around here in the surf - being able to uphaul really helps. Really, I think LA is a better spot to be a wavesailor in and SF blows them both away. You'll get 20X more sailing in SF than you ever will around here. You may get a couple days a month in SD, but it's much better for surfing / SUP than windsurfing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: